VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:13:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: X display woes  (Read 1102 times)
linuxsurd

« on: January 04, 2008, 06:15:09 am »

I'm running VL5.8 (2.6.18.5). I've had minor bumps along the way with one I have not figured out.

When I use telnet (via /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm, Command Prompt X terminal emulator or putty) I get

env shows:
HOSTNAME=vector.linux.net
HOST=vector.linux.net
SESSION_MANAGER=local/vector.linux.net:/tmp/.ICE-unix/9995
DISPLAY=:0.0

I do the following:
[vector] ~ > xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
[vector] ~ > xclock
[vector] ~ > telnet xxx.yyy.zzz.com
Trying 172.18.35.8...
Connected to xxx.yyy.zzz.com
Escape character is '^]'.
> echo $DISPLAY
vector.linux.net:0.0
> xclock
Error: Can't open display: vector.linux.net:0.0

Then I manually set the display to my IP.

> setenv DISPLAY a.b.c.d:0.0
> xclock
Error: Can't open display: a.b.c.d:0.0

I can successfully ssh to some other remote sun host at my work LAN and export my display and run x applications fine. (on the ssh session I notice the DISPLAY is default set to "localhost:13.0".
I can't understand why ssh is fine but my telnet session fails. I am able to run X-apps with telnet from a WinXP-Xceed session on a laptop.

Can someone explain what's happening here with X and telnet on my VL5.8 box ? Is it something to do with the hostname I chose (vector.linux.net) or my X config on VL or something else ?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:02:16 am by linuxsurd » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:28:18 am »

It has to do with SSH itself. SSH can enable forwarding of X traffic (hence the curious 'localhost:13.0' host name you saw); IIRC, that forwarding functions even behind a firewall or NAT. Telnet does not have that feature. I should point out that 'xhost +' as well as Telnet in general are dangerous to use from a security standpoint.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
linuxsurd

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:08:34 am »

Thanks for the reply. I agree about the security issues.

But can you explain why I can run the same telnet session with X using a WinXP/eXceed setup and bring up an X application ? I don't have the ssh daemon running on these remote hosts so I can't use ssh with some hosts. I am within a secure network so I could live briefly with these telnet sessions.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 07:13:48 am »

But can you explain why I can run the same telnet session with X using a WinXP/eXceed setup and bring up an X application ? I don't have the ssh daemon running on these remote hosts so I can't use ssh with some hosts. I am within a secure network so I could live briefly with these telnet sessions.

I haven't used eXceed. Does that offer any special means of tunneling?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
linuxsurd

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 08:07:14 am »

There's no tunneling for the telnet session that I configured in eXceed (windows). That seems only for ssh sessions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: