VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 03:09:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slackware Open Office 2.3.1 very limited # of fonts ?  (Read 2175 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: January 04, 2008, 09:46:57 am »

I just installed a Slackware package for OpenOffice 2.3.1 from linuxpackages.net. It works fine on VL5.9 except for one issue: very limited # of fonts available - lots of weird ones and very few of the standard ones such as Courier etc...

Anyone know how to easily add more fonts to OO?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:23:01 am »

i dont know how to help, but could you try our OO package and see if it has the same problem?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/extra/x-apps/openoffice.org-2.3.1_en_US-i586-1vl59.tlz

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 09:30:01 pm »

I have OOo 2.3.1 installed from the 5.9 Deluxe CD 2. All the Type 1 and TrueType fonts active on my system are showing up in OOo. Aren't the TT and Type1 fonts in /usr/share/fonts active font directories showing up in your OOo? Are your font paths correctly listed in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? Are the font directories listed in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf?

Are the fonts showing up in AbiWord?

Did you run fc-cache as root?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:07:53 pm »

Thanks uel and GrannyGeek - your suggestions got me thinking a bit more. My font setup otherwise seemed fine so it must have been the OO package. I ran the OO utility "spadmin" and added the Type1 faults directory, which obviously was not somehow compiled in when the Slack packager did the OO package. At any rate all great now - I have more fonts than I know what to do with now in OO! Thanks for your suggestions though...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:04:19 pm »

Actually, the person who packages OpenOffice for linuxpackages.net simply repackages the official binaries distributed from the OpenOffice web site. It's my understanding that the Dropline Gnome folks build OpenOffice from source using the go-oo.org patches.

FWIW,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: