VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 07:36:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crazy idea / suggestion  (Read 14197 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2008, 10:22:36 am »

Why would we not have a hard drive installer on the LiveCD?

Because it adds complexity, confusion and support burden. Instead of complementing Std, it would compete with it.

If Live is installable, we might as well drop Std.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2008, 10:31:39 am »

the problem right now is that we are getting very different results from the live installer on different hardware.
It works perfectly on my test machines, but they have lots of ram and fast cdrom drives.
it also works well in a VM with as low as 64mb mem but I still have the fast cdrom.

Hopefully we can figure out a way to make it work everywhere.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2008, 10:50:22 am »

I think we do need the live installer. It simply would not make sense to force users to download two images to get a working install

Darin

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2008, 05:09:22 pm »

I am working on what you guys are talking about...I have a test iso done but it is sitting at 454mb and I can trim some more out of it and I am using flux.

Here is a link running live with a test version:

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1imageyw9.gif
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 05:32:32 pm by Darin » Logged
Darin

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2008, 12:00:41 am »

Now to explain my reasons to pursue the endeavor, I made the SupGamer VL edition and I want a small base to pass along between testers without the games or drivers. I do have a trimmed down version stated above and I will be taking it down further in the next week to slim it down. We will be doing different graphics for the iso as well testing on some older equipment. The slowest machine I have is a xp1500 with 1gb of ram and the iso runs as good on it as it does my 3700 athlon with 1gb of ram so speed is there. I also found some additional speed when doing the supergamer vl edition that I planned on using for the update to it but I will add it into this to speed up really slow machines for the bootup. Now for the big questions. What programs are to be included or not included? Right now I have Fluxbox, Opera for the browser and use xfe for the file manager and abiword as well as xine for the multimedia player. For my purposes I would take out all of them and just have dillo but since I am already pretty close to what is being proped here and I am doing this for our project I can go ahead and release an iso based upon these criteria choices that have been proposed. I do need suggestions for apps so I can trim as much out before gutting it for my purpose
PSimon23

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2012, 03:55:00 am »

Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.

I'm on Twitter and my essay
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2012, 10:22:03 am »

This is an old thread, and was the origin of what we now know as "Vectorlinux Light"

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: