Hey there. I am about to set up a small home office, with two windows pcs, and a windows/linux laptop.
I want to achieve the following:
1. Use an old laptop as a server, with linux.
2. Use that server to use my ethernet capable external hard disk (500Gb) to be a home for all our files.
3. Occasionally back up said files to a spare hard disk somewhere.
4. Use the server as a central mail server, so outlook/thunderbird on all machiens can access the same mail
5. Allow password controlled remote access, so out and about files can be had, even when all the pcs are off (but the server and the external hard drive are still on)
Can I get a recommendation on what to use, and rough steps of how to achieve it for each point? THat would be incredibly helpful!