VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 05:58:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how much is too much  (Read 2671 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: January 05, 2008, 02:51:28 am »

Hello Vectorians

I just installed vector 5.9 std gold in the hope of finding the ultimate linux for me. it looks very hopefull..I have many questions.

I am not new to linux but far from experienced. I have several computers running various distros but have not found "THE ONE"... they all have different ways to achieve the same goal. the learning curve can be steep, vector was easy to install and appears to include all my current hardware however I have yet to be able to mount a drive from the file manager or add one to the device list in the task tray

Ie: my primary slave (used to install the OS) is not listed nor is the 100 meg zip drive(secondary slave),,,both are listed in the profiler. In fluxbox, which I like, I do not have access to the device list for mounting if all were on it. I want to replace the second cd with a dvd which is why two cd's if I can find a mount point

vector appears to include many of the programs I am use to useing and JOY the spell checker is included in abi.
- is imagemagick the photo editor? what is the path to it so I can add to gq's edit list...or is that something else with the same name?
- is there an offline dictionary..the update to packages did not include much not already installed.are there others available..I just clicked update
-is there a pop out menu for the fluxbox slit.I used a program called wmdrawer on  debian that placed top center allowed me to pop open a drawer of icons over the open browser(or other program) to access the note pad to copy from the browser or open xmms to set an alarm or play some music etc, it rolled away..I'm just use to it and always seeking it as I had the same for windows when I used it
-is there an alarm plugin for xmms..I have a .deb could it be modified easily
-is audacity sound recorder available or something like it..sox was powerfull but I could never figure it out except to play files from a script.or is that just a .deb
-is a script a script..I created a speaking clock for damnsmall it is run via cron to chime and tell the time in my voice on the hour. recordings via audacity and played by sox
-is there a drawing program..I currently use dia as it's graph paper style allows to scale for a quick floor plan or deck design
-can I be root and let other users be user. I grow weary of being told I do not have permission when doing daily tasks..I currently can not get the user to dial a connection..
- I like a clean system. how do I clean..on some emtying the temp folder can be problematic.

-I honestly do not know where to start so as usual just jumping in head first and likely appear rude ..rudeness is never my intent I just want to get some work done..lol ..how many time have you heard that..but seriously

-what is the best way to get results ..if rude is what I appear.

well...its not documentation or a book so..Thanks cheers ..its a great distro regardless

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:30:49 am »

"THE ONE" would have to be like Lilu in "The fifth element". Hard to find on this earth Wink

Vector trades some automation for speed. To get access to all your drives, plan on doing some manual editing of a config file (/etc/fstab).

Audacity is available in the repo.

Photo editor would be The GIMP. Imagemagick is a collection of tools. It's also available. There are also several drawing programs. Try searching in gslapt.

The VL community is great and has an eclectic collection of members. Look for others to chime in on the rest of your questions.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:01:19 am »

First go to GSLAPT > EDIT > PREFERENCES > SOURCES, and enable the /packages, /extra, /testing and /patches. /testing contain some non tested packages but they usually don't give many problems. Now click the UPDATE button. Now you have all the available packages ready to be installed. keep in mind 5.9 is still young and the repo is being populated.

About mounting devices, vasm works nice for this. Go to VASMCC >  FILESYSTEM > MOUNT PARTITIONS > ADD.
That should do it.
About running as root, well, there is really no need of that. Better give to yourself all the permissions you really need and use root only for important administrative tasks. I know is hard to get used to the Linux permissions systems, but we owe to it great part of the Linux safety and stability.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 06:08:25 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:27:35 am »

"THE ONE" would have to be like Lilu in "The fifth element". Hard to find on this earth Wink
That would be Leeloo, but I agree with the rest of your statement... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 10:48:01 am »

Answers for a few questions (I'm a little antsy here)

vector appears to include many of the programs I am use to useing and JOY the spell checker is included in abi.
- is imagemagick the photo editor? what is the path to it so I can add to gq's edit list...or is that something else with the same name?

'which display' ('which' gives the full path) indicates /usr/bin/display. 'display' of course is the ImageMagick GUI program. The GIMP et al. are more sophisticated of course.

- is there an offline dictionary..the update to packages did not include much not already installed.are there others available..I just clicked update

Which kind of dictionary? A list of words for spell-checking / programming purposes, a language dictionary of some kind or ...? I can probably fix you up with something as I know how to crack Babylon dictionary files.  Cheesy

-is there a pop out menu for the fluxbox slit.I used a program called wmdrawer on  debian that placed top center allowed me to pop open a drawer of icons over the open browser(or other program) to access the note pad to copy from the browser or open xmms to set an alarm or play some music etc, it rolled away.

I recently made a wmdrawer package (now with SlackBuild!) and will submit it as soon as I'm done with this post.

-is audacity sound recorder available or something like it..sox was powerfull but I could never figure it out except to play files from a script.or is that just a .deb

arecord is pretty simple actually. I dunno about graphical programs.

-I honestly do not know where to start so as usual just jumping in head first and likely appear rude ..rudeness is never my intent I just want to get some work done..lol ..how many time have you heard that..but seriously

Ha, well, I know quite a bit about unintentionally sounding rude because of my mental ... configuration...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 09:43:45 pm »

Thank you for responding
re: "the one" everything is relative.

nightflier

yes I had been editing the  /etc/fstab/ and can see that if I add a line to the file it will show in the devices list but it still does not allow access to the drives...but thats a step in the right direction

I'm glad to know audacity and gimp are available

rbistolfi

packages and extra were checked when I updated and I did not check patches or testing as in the past..if it's not torn don't patch it...and testing was a question mark...thanks..now that they are added I can see that other programs are available like audacity and gimp I will need to search it later

if you use vasm filesystem mount partition you can add a partition but my hd partions are mounted and useable..in vasm hardware there is optical drives but it only wants to create a setup for hdc as a writer drive and add  user..I want to add hdb the primary slave cdrom (later dvd) and the iomega 100 meg zip hdd the secondary slave. The primary drive is my partitioned hd and the second primary is the functioning cdrw /dev/hdc...it is listed in /etc/fstab/ as /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom the non functioning drives are recognized by the machine and list in systems profiles...the cdrom is listed in k3b but not mountable

I am currently haveing better luck as root...the fix for chestnut was appreciated but did not work for me..so I still have to be root to dial a connection...now that I have imagemagick working I can not save a resize as user and must be root..the list continues..I spend more time switching than solveing..maby I can get the system functioning and setup for use as root and then work on permissions and switch to user to protect the system from myself...I see k3b suggests I am creating a security breach by burning a test cd as root...What is the security hole attached to that

hanumizzle

Oh...display..that is solved..I can now open a pic in gq and edit in imagemagick...gimp is nice but if I can not take a picture worth looking at I am not a very good photographer, the tool box is fine for resize and such...but again..I can save as root but not as user

debian has dictd as an off line dictionary, wordweb is a freebe for windows, I have sage on a thumb, an english language dict for looking up words with copy paste functionality was the desire. what does that mean.. plink.. plunk...AH

now that I have gslap working with testing I installed wmdrawer...THANKS./usr/bin..could not find the rc file for edit and not sure how to add it to the slit. see that the slit is empty and wBar is added with & to startup..

audacity is a gui snd recorder but if arecord is a command line it may be called upon by a script to play a file..

new
I knowtice now that if the screensaver is running or I attempt to play the racer game the mouse leaves tracks..a box of white devided by a black plus for four section with the horizontal part of the plus in the box being much fatter..I have a ps2 2button at the moment but have wheel optical..may be the ati agp vid card?

in fluxbox how do I mount the drives that work...can I create an icon for devices or is that an xfce4 thing only

I'm very needy but willing to share what I learn
cheers

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 01:14:13 am »

Ok..starting again

both slaves were unmountable so I removed both the cdrom (slave ide1) and the zip drive(slave ide2)...the zip was robbed from another linux box that liked it anyway

1 - HOW DO I TURN ON DMA for the remaining hd and cdrw
note:
Not the temp root terminal dma on.. but for dma on at boot for both drives

this may solve burner issues and speed..I had one good burn of 5meg to  erased cdrw as root..ya..ya i,m not an admisistrater but permissions are yet unsolved..

the cdrw drive that is working did not work as slave on the primary ide so hd is still primary ide1(hda) and cdrw is primary ide2(hdc)

2- can anyone please explain the security risk of burning a cd with k3b as root and the security risks of useing a dialup connection and browser as root...this is a stand alone unit at the moment..is the risk to an added network of units or the loss or damage of this unit..I do not have permission to test the system as user is there documentation I have not yet found

I'm really tryin...

gslap repos solved currently thanks

imagemagick connected to gqview..thanks..permission issue with saveing resized photo exists

permission issue for user dial up exists dial-up works fine as root

mouse issue exists..when screen saver is running or racer game is opened..mouse pointer remains as a white box split into four smaller via a black plus the size of the white box...my thought is ati agp rage128 pro vid card or two button ps2 mouse?

perhaps I am too inexperienced to use vector
just the thought of reinstalling windows on this box makes me think of the dump....vector looks so good

Everything Is Relative
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 01:38:14 am »

That would be Leeloo, but I agree with the rest of your statement... Grin

Actually Leeloominaï Lekatariba Lamina-Tchaï Ekbat De Sebat.
That much time should be to honour a Lady  Grin
Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 05:53:18 am »

I have a confession to make:

In the beginning, as a young Linux Learner, I ran as root. It made everything easier, including completely ruining the setup. But I learned. Soon I had things working right. Then I switched to running as regular user. When I then ran into problems, chances were good that I needed to change permissions somewhere. I still do the same thing with networks: start without firewalls or encryption. When everything is working, I add the safety measures. Many may frown upon this approach, but it works for me. As long as your computer is considered a learning tool and is not directly exposed to the internet 24/7, the risk to reward ratio is acceptable.

Judging by your other posts, you are doing hardware swaps and re-installs. You probably have a good feel for what hardware works by now. How about trying a simple setup? Use one hard drive and one optical drive. Re-install from scratch and post your problems, one at the time, as you proceed.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 05:57:09 am »

For burning cd's as user you have to run k3bsetup once as root.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 09:42:46 am »

Don't mind my attitude today, overthere; I am BEYOND pissed-off right now.

Oh...display..that is solved..I can now open a pic in gq and edit in imagemagick...gimp is nice but if I can not take a picture worth looking at I am not a very good photographer, the tool box is fine for resize and such...but again..I can save as root but not as user

Where are you trying to save files?

debian has dictd as an off line dictionary, wordweb is a freebe for windows, I have sage on a thumb, an english language dict for looking up words with copy paste functionality was the desire. what does that mean.. plink.. plunk...AH

Currently we don't have anything like that.

now that I have gslap working with testing I installed wmdrawer...THANKS./usr/bin..could not find the rc file for edit and not sure how to add it to the slit. see that the slit is empty and wBar is added with & to startup..

You'll have to copy /usr/doc/wmdrawer-0.10.5/wmdrawerrc.example to $HOME/.wmdrawerrc and then edit it. It functions (scroll right, bottom corner).

audacity is a gui snd recorder but if arecord is a command line it may be called upon by a script to play a file..

It is.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 09:51:40 am »

if you want an offline dictionary I just build stardict for VL5.9STD. It maynot be the lastest version but I hope it work for you.....

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5224.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: