VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 10:30:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brief Introduction  (Read 1777 times)
BGillespie

Where have I known you?

« on: January 06, 2008, 01:03:58 am »

Good Evening,

I've never been much of a forum-goer in the past, but I've been having enough trouble with my current project that I thought it would be a good idea to consult with some veterans of the free software world.  I'm currently a college sophomore, and I've been dabbling in Linux for about a year and in free software for two.  I'm actually aiming at mathematics as a career, but programming and academic computer science have been an interest of mine for some time.  My hope is to eventually get involved in some open source projects, and right now I'm trying to acquaint myself with the landscape.

I appreciate the efforts of the more experienced users to provide a helpful resource to those of us who are new here.  Thanks in advance for any help that I receive, and I hope that I can eventually contribute to the community.

Yours,
B. Gillespie
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 05:55:06 am »

Welcome to the Forum, B.
I hope you enjoy the ride. I am already curious about your project.
Do you play trumpet too?   Grin Forgive me, surely everybody says something like that  Embarrassed

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:03:42 am »

I've never been much of a forum-goer in the past, but I've been having enough trouble with my current project that I thought it would be a good idea to consult with some veterans of the free software world.  I'm currently a college sophomore, and I've been dabbling in Linux for about a year and in free software for two.  I'm actually aiming at mathematics as a career, but programming and academic computer science have been an interest of mine for some time.  My hope is to eventually get involved in some open source projects, and right now I'm trying to acquaint myself with the landscape.

Var hälsad! Perhaps I'll have someone to turn to should I have any questions in my upcoming and eagerly anticipated Discrete Mathematics course this semester. Let us know about your problems...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
BGillespie

Where have I known you?

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:41:29 am »

Do you play trumpet too?   Grin Forgive me, surely everybody says something like that  Embarrassed

Heh, yeah, I do get that from time to time.  It doesn't bug me though, since I am a bit of a jazz aficionado.  I'm not on trumpet, but I do play the saxophone (alto and tenor).

I hope you enjoy the ride. I am already curious about your project.

It's already been an interesting trip.  I'll post a bit later so that I can get all of the facts down, but I'll say now that it's a puzzle involving Apache HTTP server.  Look for it in "Web & Internet".

Perhaps I'll have someone to turn to should I have any questions in my upcoming and eagerly anticipated Discrete Mathematics course this semester.

Discrete Math was a fun course.  Let me know if you have any questions on it.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 12:05:31 pm »

Discrete Math was a fun course.  Let me know if you have any questions on it.

We'll see. I have some knowledge of abstract algebra—largely intuitive through programming—and I'm reading a book on elementary graph theory now, which I seem to enjoy. But if it turns out I have to take Calculus II again, I'll definitely have questions...I can say with certainty that I enjoy some topics far more than others, which will unfortunately make it impossible for me to major in mathematics...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: