VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 09:12:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: last words  (Read 2509 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: January 06, 2008, 03:11:00 am »

Well... I will say this:
Vector was easy to install has a fresh clean appearance, nice wallpaper, easy to use mounter for cdrom,easy to use file manager for copy and paste of files, most of the standard gui programs I like. It detected my hardware based internal modem whick many will not and why I am greatly disappointed. it played mp3's fine via xine or xmms,and would likely play a movie. it included mozilla and opera browsers.

I attemp to discover more regarding the mouse issue I found that the first couple of games would not load, mario flickered, racer had the pointer box thing(see how much is too much) but the sol game worked well and was very nice...the pointer box was also present in morph3d screen saver but not the line type savers..when I clicked molecule saver the system froze and did not return so I had to shut it off..it will not reboot. my guess was the video card

as I could not access the net or save a resized pic or burn a cd via user it seems pointless to reinstall.

it is just not working for an old inexperienced user.

perhaps the next

This is nice work and I wish all the best..thankyou

Everything Is Relative
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 03:20:24 am »

It detected my hardware based internal modem whick many will not and why I am greatly disappointed

eerrr....you hate it because it can auto-detect your hardware?

I attemp to discover more regarding the mouse issue I found that the first couple of games would not load, mario flickered, racer had the pointer box thing(see how much is too much) but the sol game worked well and was very nice...the pointer box was also present in morph3d screen saver but not the line type savers..when I clicked molecule saver the system froze and did not return so I had to shut it off..it will not reboot. my guess was the video card

what type of display card you are using?

as I could not access the net or save a resized pic or burn a cd via user it seems pointless to reinstall.

You cannot access the internet because of not internet connection or your network card/wireless card is not working in VL?

perhaps the next

This is nice work and I wish all the best..thankyou

If you are decided to not use VL, then wish you all the best and hope you can find the "prefect" distro in your future.... Smiley
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:41:57 am »

I made only two other posts...how much is too much and chestnut and the user. they may help..I am not disappointed because the modem was detected but that few other distros will detect and I do not know where to turn. I was not haveing much luck and am just sad and tired.

Everything Is Relative
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 04:07:08 am »

I do understand your frustration.

Many have felt this way since moving
on to another OS has it's learning curve.

Everyone here will be more than glad to
help get everything running. Patience will go
a long way. Please post more information
like the actual hardware since you mentioned
that tux racer and other games were hanging.
It sounds like Xorg needs some changing.

The report about the video that you referred to from your
introduction about X I did not find.

Your introduction says that you are using
other distros' in which I would think that
understanding root vs user would be apparent.

You can run as root, you are not going to blow
anything up. It is not recommended. If you need
to run as root to do daily things then either one
of two things is happening. One you are doing
alot of hardware and config file changes, or the
permissions are not correct. You can change the
permissions on chestnut dialer for users to access.

There is a mention of editing /etc/fstab is correct.
Did you try VASM to setup the drives?

There are some tools that are important to help you:

ls
lsmod
lspci
lsusb
dmesg

Scripts are scripts as per one question

wmdrawer was apparently made by Hanumizzle per his response

There should be no problems with emptying your temp folders

I can not answer about imagemagic. Photo editing is not my thing.

We understand that you need to get things done. If you are
interested in sticking it out, I feel confident that almost all if not
all things can be resolved.

HTH

Bigpaws
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:40:27 am »

ok..well I used dban boot and nuke to get grub of the hd so I could install vector..vector froze and will not boot so I deleted the partitions and now I can not install vector or any thing else all I get is lillo splashing vector is loading...the floppy will not run dban to wipe lilo

so how do I get lilo off the mbr so I can install something...or do I just chuck it in the trash

you say help is here...bring it on

Everything Is Relative
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 04:54:23 am »

so how do I get lilo off the mbr so I can install something...or do I just chuck it in the trash

fdisk from windows can rewrite the MRB

http://www.computerhope.com/fdiskhlp.htm
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:04:46 am »

dban is far too much of a powertool for what you're trying to do. It's like blowing up a house to get rid of a mouse.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:06:46 am »

There are many ways to wipe the mbr, including a tool on the Vector install CD.

I'm not sure what's going on, though. You say you used dban off a floppy to wipe the hard drive once, but now it doesn't work any more?

Vector is not a "fully automagic" type of distribution. It achieves great speed by relying on the user to do some of the work when it comes to install and configuration.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 06:44:13 am »

I use boot and nuke because when I ask at linux question.org..a very long time ago.. how to remove grub they called me a noob and told me to go back to windows...I googled until I found boot and nuke and it works for me, so I do not care to here about how nobish I am, I want results..if I do not get them the end result is move alone, figure it out myself or give up.

I posted chestnut and the user with the best of intent with full specs of the box and still have no solution to the issue...if solution is posted...where is that...the inital response is the same thing I used from the same poster whos other post to someone else I read befor posting.I used it more than once with no effect

dial up is not the only issue. drives were not mountable. no solution was posted so I removed the problem drives. I still have issue with mouse, and permission.and the inital issues are unresolved. if the posts were actually read and understood then these problems may be solved. feel free to post response I may get back to it. I ask what may be required in post for best response. if I do the posts for questions individually as in chestnut then.. see the response.so I pile it up and hope for the best as I fumble to the point of giveing up...if I try again maby someone has posted response of use to the pile of questions.if not my documentation for the distro goes in my linux blog. live and learn the hardway...welcome to the internet

that said I sincerely appreciate all usefull response to date and will look back. but just now I need to get some work done. I just do not have time to linger. it always ends up this way.

thanks for the link to computerhope.

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 07:32:09 am »

We all understand the need to just get some work done Smiley

The learning curve can be steep. Even when it comes to the use of a help forum. It takes a while for posters to figure each other out, at what level to ask and answer questions.

Hope you eventually will find the time to linger somewhere long enough to figure things out.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:47:57 am »

This command will blank the entire drive:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1c count=512

Then you can install what ever you wish.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: