Author Topic: package update annoumcement  (Read 3568 times)

thorro

package update annoumcement
« on: January 06, 2008, 01:36:56 am »
Package update announcement for VL is not good.
Look at Archlinux or even Slackware is much easier to read.
It's  something that VL should look at.
Keep up the good work

tomh38

• Vectorian
Re: package update annoumcement
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:12:20 am »
thorro,

I'm curious.  What exactly do you mean by "not good?"  Could you give some examples and compare them to Archlinux or Slackware, and explain how what VL does could be improved?

I'm just another user, I don't have anything to do with the development of Vector Linux or with the forums, but I imagine that the moderators might find it helpful if you explain things more clearly.

This is a sincere request on my part, I'm not being sarcastic or anything like that.

Tom
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 07:42:10 am »
I agree with Tom.  I'm used to the way our announcements look, so I have no problems at all with it.  But am interested in what a fresh set of eyes see's and what we might be able to do about it.

Please tell  :)

thorro

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:42:38 am »
Only way I have found package update etc. in VL is in the forum.
Look at Arch they have the most reason packages at http://www.archlinux.org/
and all packages at (http://www.archlinux.org/packages/search/?sort=-last_update), and it's easy to search there.
I might overlooked something at VL homepage,but only found updated packages in the forum announcement.
Anyway VL is a good distro.

Dweeberkitty

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • Multimedia Bonus Disc
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 08:56:20 am »
I agree, that is easier to use and see exactly what's been going on in a glance. Maybe something like that is a good idea.
Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 08:57:28 am »
I see your point.  I suppose we could code a module for the main part of the VL site.  As it stands now, most of the nitty gritty for VL happens right here in the forums.  The main page is pretty much our "billboard" at this time.

tomh38

• Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 09:19:30 am »
Yeah, thorro, you're right.  What's on the Archlinux home page is good.  Something like this could be helpful in VL.

On the other hand, if other VL users are like me, they hardly ever go to the "main" web site - they go directly to the forums.  As exeterdad pointed out the real action of VL happens here.

So ... I guess it's up to the people in charge to change something.
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 09:35:26 am »
It would be great to announce new packages at the main VL site.  at least, it makes it a little more dynamic, and if it was an rss, we could setup our bot at IRC #vectorlinux to announce new packages there. Archlinux does that way IIRC.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 08:33:39 pm »
I like the way Arch displays the updates, too. This would be an excellent solution to the problem of Gslapt no longer marking and displaying all updates. Instead of a laborious search through Gslapt, we could just see what's available and decide if there's anything we're interested in. And there's no danger that an unwary user could update (and maybe break) the whole system with a single click.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller