Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: vl 5.9 desktop  (Read 1063 times)

• Vectorite
  • The BOSS
vl 5.9 desktop
« on: January 09, 2008, 06:34:22 pm »

After using vl 5.8 SOHO for a couple months now, I have become very comfortable with the utility and information it supplies on the desktop.  I have been running vl 5.9 from the live cd for a couple days now and for myself, I find Xfce lacking in that same functionallity, and quite lacking in desktop options. 

When I do a full install of vl 5.9, will I be able to install it with Kde as my desktop right off, or will it be necessary to go to the extra effort of installing it at a later time.  Other than that, I find vl 5.9 a very good operating system.

I certainly would appreciate the feedback from you people who have used it for a while now.   :)

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux

• Packager
  • Vectorite
Re: vl 5.9 desktop
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:49:48 pm »

Greetings reb
I've been using 5.8 SOHO on my desktop machines since it came out and found it good for office work and internet.

I have 5.9 on my notebook
and Xfce worked fine but, like you, I'm a KDE fan, so I just installed with Gslapt (from the Slack repo I think, but it should be in VL's by now) and it is running well. No problems after 3 weeks, without pushing it.

KDE is plain vanilla so doesn't have all the VL goodness of SOHO. I had to add a few extra packages to get it up to the functionality of SOHO. But all is good now.

I have run a live CD with KDE 4 on the notebook... I know it is only eye-candy but 5.9 SOHO with KDE 4 will be something very special.