VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 01:36:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved] Unable to get past logon screen  (Read 1372 times)
jasmc

« on: January 06, 2008, 11:23:07 pm »

Hi everybody,  and belated season greeting and good wishes.  I have been trying to install the 5.9 gold and everything appears to work fine,  it will go through the start up and no errors appear, that I can see.  The problem is when it gets to the login screen there are no users and the system appears frozen, the only thing that can be moved is the mouse.  I have gone through the install 4 times and have burnt the image using two different programs and get the same result.  I can not figure this out and any help would be greatly appreciated, no doubt there is something I am doing during the install that is causing the issue but I am not aware enough to pick it up.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Jason
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 03:51:27 am by jasmc » Logged

Vector 5.9 Gold on Dell c840
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 05:11:15 am »

One thing to try is a alt+F2 to get to a terminal.

Then try to login. If you can cat /var/log/messages,
look at dmesg see if there are any clues.

Bigpaws
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 06:14:56 am »

did you do a full install? he  if you did you should have been asked to setup root and user accounts. Unless you are running a live disk that has not really been installed but is rather running off your cd drive

jasmc

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:39:21 pm »

Hi again, thanks for the answers.  I am able to ctrl/alt/F2 to get to a terminal, and have looked at the suggested messages and output of dmesg, but am unable to decipher what may be the error.  What I have found out is after I get to a terminal and log in and then ctrl/alt/F7 I get the log in screen and everything is ok.  Users are there and I can log in and use the system.  I am going to keep going through the outputs of the dmesg and messages and try again to decipher something,  I believe it may be something from when I get the Nvidia splash screen to the log in screen, just a matter of trying to understand what.  Again thanks for the help and any further advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:52:56 am »

I suspect something is wrong with your X configuration. Boot the machine into linux-tui. Login as root, type vasm, then choose xwindow, xconf and go through the X configuration procedure again. If that doesn't work post the output of the following commands to this thread:

lspci
lsmod
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
jasmc

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 03:50:43 am »

Hi Lagagnon,  thanks for that.  It was an issue with the driver, I was using the 71.xx, as it had worked for me previously.  I switched to the 96.xx driver and ended up with a black screen.  After a bit of searching on the good ole Internet I found a fix, which was to add the following into the "Screen" section of the xorg.conf:
Option "UseDisplayDevice""DFP-0"
Now, I do not understand what that did or does but hey presto everything is working sweet,  I even get a spiffy Nvidia splash screen.  So all is working lovely and  I am impressed with the finishing touched to 5.9.  So I am off and setting up as I need and am looking forward to some happy Vectoring.  Cheers heaps for everyones input and help.

Regards

Jason

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: