VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 03:30:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people use nicks?  (Read 8352 times)
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« on: January 08, 2008, 03:02:12 am »

I wonder why do people use nicks instead of they real names?
I`ve just changed my nick (which was my initials) to my full name. I don`t think we should be ashamed of our real names, shoud we?  Smiley
Maybe some of us want to remain anonymous, whatever. I don`t and I would like to know who really I am talking to Smiley

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 08:11:01 am »

Well, in my case, i don't want to give too much information to potential hackers. And i always try to get a short screen name so i don't have to type too much ( and specially since my passwords are long ).

Another good reason to be anonymous in the 'Net is that potential employers search the 'Net for information about you. Imagine if you're applying for a job at one company owned by Microsoft and they find a thread posted by you called: "100 Reasons Vista Blows Chunks".

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:07:02 am »

Another good reason to be anonymous in the 'Net is that potential employers search the 'Net for information about you. Imagine if you're applying for a job at one company owned by Microsoft and they find a thread posted by you called: "100 Reasons Vista Blows Chunks".

Not just employers, but potential paramours as well.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:44:05 am »

I like some anonymity when visible to the whole world, at least initially in a new forum.

Also, my full name contains 20 characters!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 09:51:24 am »

Maybe some of us want to remain anonymous, whatever. I don`t and I would like to know who really I am talking to Smiley

Ask and I'll gladly tell you—my e-mail and MSN are publicly available. I find that 'Epic Fail Guy' is more interesting than my real name though.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 10:01:33 am »

Heh, heh!  I have a psycho ex out there (no joke), who'd love nothing more then to be as rotten as possible.  I've no intentions of inviting her here by making my full name so public.  Google has gotten very good these days.  Those who need to know, know who I am Smiley
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 10:22:40 am »

I find that 'Epic Fail Guy' is more interesting than my real name though.
Dude, you changed your nickname! Oh well, whichever you like best I suppose.

Another good reason to be anonymous in the 'Net is that potential employers search the 'Net for information about you.
If I Altavista my own name (don't particularly like googling), I don't find anything about myself, just other people with the same name. And a few of my mails to some mailing lists.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 11:45:07 am »

I'm clinically diagnosed as paranoid

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:52:15 am »

Some people say the same thing about me. But those people don't know what it's like when they are after you Roll Eyes.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 11:57:53 am »

But you used your real name in source code. Huh

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 12:32:01 pm »

I just googled my name and i just found out many things about myself that i didn't know:

I smoke, i'm divorced, i'm a world class boxer, and i seem to have died in a massacre in Latinamerica. . . creepy.

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 01:09:16 pm »

But you used your real name in source code. Huh

sorry, that was a joke.
I just use nicks because it's been the trend for ages

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 01:30:16 pm »

Can't argue with that.

I go under many aliases, including penguinporker, Epic Fail Guy, hanumizzle, Hồ Chí Minh, raedwald, 'The Father of Battle' and, now, Greven-tan ('The Little Count' in Japanesemål), as seen here:

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 03:14:07 pm »

I'm posing as a bald divorced Dutchman in his thirties, while actually I'm a thirteen year old girl who's parents may not know I'm stealing the neighbors connection. Internet is evil you know??

Ik spreek ook eigenlijk helemaal geen Nederlands Wink
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 03:31:45 pm »

I would like to know who really I am talking to Smiley

Even William of Ockham could agree a name is not enough to accomplish what you want.
Anyway, Rodrigo Bistolfi.

Also, my full name contains 20 characters!

That is way people call you Roy Cheesy. You won my "Post of the month" prize with that one. You remind me the Egipcian Gods, who used to hide their real names in the stomach. Who posses the name posses the power, they used to say (I think this is the first elaboration of a realism, and an anticipation of Plato philosophy.)

I just googled my name and i just found out many things about myself that i didn't know:

I smoke, i'm divorced, i'm a world class boxer, and i seem to have died in a massacre in Latinamerica. . . creepy.

Damn, my name produces boring results. Nothing interesting but a parent who is a Classic Metal musician (Ask Epic Fail Guy, aka Hanumizzle.)

I go under many aliases, including penguinporker, Epic Fail Guy, hanumizzle, Hồ Chí Minh, raedwald, 'The Father of Battle' and, now, Greven-tan ('The Little Count' in Japanesemål), as seen here:

My favorite is Penguinporker.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: