VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 05:35:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people use nicks?  (Read 8473 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 04:56:59 pm »

Ik spreek ook eigenlijk helemaal geen Nederlands Wink

På samma sätt pratar jag ingen svenska...vilken lögnhals är du, Freston... Smiley

Even William of Ockham could agree a name is not enough to accomplish what you want.

Exactly. "What's in a name?" Or to give the issue an analytic spin, compare with the concept of isomorphism in graph theory: as long as continue to exhibit hanumisselska behaviors like I do now, my real name (or any fake name I use) doesn't matter that much. My vertices and edges remain the same.

[both graphs represent me]

That is way people call you Roy Cheesy. You won my "Post of the month" prize with that one. You remind me the Egipcian Gods, who used to hide their real names in the stomach. Who posses the name posses the power, they used to say (I think this is the first elaboration of a realism, and an anticipation of Plato philosophy.)

That is why the real name of the Abrahamic god is unknown. It doesn't mean anything now but at one time that was one of the significant distinctions between the early Jewish religion and surrounding pagan beliefs in the Near East.

Damn, my name produces boring results. Nothing interesting but a parent who is a Classic Metal musician (Ask Epic Fail Guy, aka Hanumizzle.)

Wait, Hugo isn't your parent. Or do you mean someone else?  Huh

My favorite is Penguinporker.

It was trite and lewd. I regret taking it up.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 05:00:09 pm »

I use Darrell and always have. someone may be able to do something with that. Maybe but what? I can see the idea as being valid as that is what things began with..
metvas (Stavem)
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 05:44:44 pm »

Oh, something got lost in the translation, I meant "family member", we use the Spanish word "pariente" for that, which is similar  to the English "parent", hence my mistake. That said, one of my parents, my father Carlos, is a tango singer, he is part of a pretty experimental choro. 

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 06:17:16 pm »

Oh, something got lost in the translation, I meant "family member", we use the Spanish word "pariente" for that, which is similar  to the English "parent", hence my mistake.

I suspected as much. Even so, your command of English seems to have improved markedly over the past few months.

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 06:20:29 pm »

Quote from: hanumizzle
På samma sätt pratar jag ingen svenska...vilken lögnhals är du, Freston...
By heart I translate this: We together are speaking not Swedish to you, what longneck are you, Freston...

Was I close??

Quote from: penguinporker
Exactly. "What's in a name?" Or to give the issue an analytic spin, compare with the concept of isomorphism in graph theory: as long as continue to exhibit hanumisselska behaviors like I do now, my real name (or any fake name I use) doesn't matter that much. My vertices and edges remain the same.
Oh man! I love that explanation. Specially with the graph (One picture is worth 128K words Grin).
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 06:37:24 pm »

På samma sätt pratar jag ingen svenska...vilken lögnhals är du, Freston...
By heart I translate this: We together are speaking not Swedish to you, what longneck are you, Freston...

You denied that you speak Nederlands and I could tell that you obviously do, so I said "In the same way, I don't speak any Swedish...you're such a liar, Freston." Smiley Det var ju på skoj. ("I was kidding, of course.") 'lögnhals' means that you have lies in your throat. Smiley

BTW, I don't speak Nederlands but I have cursory experience with it because of my fondness for Germanic languages and mythology ... (and heavy metal and folk music ... and stuff Smiley).

Quote from: penguinporker
Oh man! I love that explanation. Specially with the graph (One picture is worth 128K words Grin).

Further proof that pvre fvkking diskret math is not (only) for dorks...

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 06:55:31 pm »

hihi Grin

Pratar = speak
Inger = not
Svenska = Swedish
Du = you
'På, jag' are words like 'you, me, us, their, them, her' I don't know which is which.

The rest I guessed Wink

EDIT: It strikes me now: lögnhals = leugenhals .... and not langhals. It becomes apparent when you speak it as it's spoken in the original lanuage. the Scandinavian ö is like the Dutch eu. (to our American friends: the Dutch a is like your e, the Dutch e is like your i, your i is like our ij, etcetera...).

Quote from: Epic Fail Guy
BTW, I don't speak Nederlands but I have cursory experience with it because of my fondness for Germanic languages and mythology ... (and heavy metal and folk music ... and stuff Smiley).
You must mean German then. 'cuz There is no good metal in Dutch. There are good Dutch metal bands.... but they don't sing in Dutch. And rightfully so.
Quote from: That Swedish guy formally known as {insert here}
Ah! I'm more into statistical analysis myself, but discrete math has it's applications. Geekish? Yeah! So??
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 07:10:30 pm by Freston » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 07:14:16 pm »

hihi Grin

Pratar = speak
Inger = not
Svenska = Swedish
Du = you
'På, jag' are words like 'you, me, us, their, them, her' I don't know which is which.

Word for word:

sammasättpratarjagingensvenska.Vilkenlögnhalsärdu,Freston. Smiley
OnsamewayspeakInoSwedish.Whichliarareyou,Freston. Smiley

'På' is roughly equivalent to 'op' in that it's the word you use when in doubt. 'Ingen', 'inget' and 'inga' are all essentially the same as 'geen', differentiated for gender and number.

Quote from: Epic Fail Guy
You must mean German then. 'cuz There is no good metal in Dutch. There are good Dutch metal bands.... but they don't sing in Dutch. And rightfully so.

I beg to differ. Heidevolk are a good example of a Dutch-singing metal band. Say what you want about the cheesyness and exaggerated masculinity of their music and/or that fan video but I like their lyrics writing, to be honest. Someone said "the biggest gayheid uit heel nederland, f--- volk metal! k-- muziek" on the comments thread, but what does he know?

Quote from: That Swedish guy formally known as {insert here}
Ah! I'm more into statistical analysis myself, but discrete math has its applications. Geekish? Yeah! So??

I intend to study practical statistics to some extent in the coming semester on my own, because a friend of mine shall take statistics and I want to be able to answer any questions she has. I am formally taking discrete mathematics this semester and wanted to prepare in advance.

Also, I am an American, BTW ... if you can believe that. Smiley

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 07:51:44 pm »

i was thinking more along the lines of this Although I see the appeal of this (old)[ulr]

Also, I am an American, BTW ... if you can believe that Smiley
No, I can't. Prove it Grin

No kidding Grin
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 08:06:49 pm »

No, I can't. Prove it Grin

No kidding Grin

Well, what makes proof in your eyes? I obviously can't scan my Social Security card...  Huh

Surely using an expression like OWNT LOL (as in my signature) makes me American.

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 08:14:09 pm »

Well,you can scan your card, but you'll be violating laws just the same. Ah darn, you can't prove it. I'll grant it to ya! You're the only American who knows Scandinavian.

Let me ask ya then where are you from?? (starewise I mean)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 10:16:21 pm »

Well,you can scan your card, but you'll be violating laws just the same. Ah darn, you can't prove it. I'll grant it to ya! You're the only American who knows Scandinavian.

Well, Swedish ... a slightly unusual choice given that I listen to black metal much more often than death metal. Bokmål might have been a better choice. (To be fair, there is probably less difference between Swedish and Bokmål than there is between Swedish and Jämtlandic, a rather conservative local dialect.)

Let me ask ya then where are you from?? (starewise I mean)

Starewise, usually blank, absent-minded, distressed, paranoid or angry ... sometimes mildly amused.

Statewise, I am Pennsylvanian, with New Jersey-an parents. We live in the east, fairly near NJ, where relatives on my father's side live, so in some sense I could be considered a Jersey boy as well. I feel more affinity towards the grim heathen forests woods shaws skogarna of Pennsylvania than the endless tract of suburbia that is New Jersey though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:22:26 pm by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 11:21:44 pm »

Who posses the name posses the power...
Indeed, whoever says your real name in the "old speech" owns you... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 01:09:58 pm »

Who posses the name posses the power...
Indeed, whoever says your real name in the "old speech" owns you... Grin

Wait, what are you talking about?

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 01:31:51 pm »

"Knowing names is my job. My art. To weave the magic of a thing, you see, one must find its true name out. In my lands we keep our true names hidden all our lives long, from all but those whom we trust utterly; for there is great power, and great peril, in a name."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea
Magic on Earthsea is verbal: All objects have a true name, in an old language still spoken by the dragons which is known simply as the Old Speech. By using this language, it is possible to have power over an object or living thing. To protect themselves from this, most characters have two names: one for everyday use and one, the true name, known only to select close friends and family members – sometimes no-one.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: