VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 10:02:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-LIGHT Dev thread  (Read 49296 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2008, 02:34:09 pm »

Sorry to come in so late.  Did anyone look at Deli Linux?  Its a very lightweight Slackware derivative that has many of the same features that is being attempted with VL light.  Might have some important lessons for people on this project
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2008, 03:00:15 pm »

VL5.9-Light-A2.3 is ready for download

I was given a choice which applications to install, I deselcted pidgin but after installation the nice animated panel on the top still contained the icon for pidgin.

Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2008, 03:05:52 pm »

The original thread of "should VL attempt at Light version?" was closed.  I do not think this thread should be a continuation. Roll Eyes

Mea culpa, because I couldn`t help sharing my opinion with you again. I`ll try to keep my mouth shut on "should it or should it not".

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2008, 04:52:28 pm »

I have a hard time reconsiling the fact that Puppy Linux and VL are both derived from Slackware.
Puppy is not derived from Slackware. Puppy was developed from scratch by Barry Kauler, and is not based on any distribution. As of version 3.0, Puppy has compatibility with Slackware 12 packages. Puppy has a single user/account, which is essentially root, hence there is no login, which reduces boot time. (This also reduces security, more than likely.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_linux

I see VL Light as a return to VectorLinux's roots as a fast, efficient, lean OS. VL has always attracted users who want to get more life out of older, even challenged computer hardware. Not too long ago the VL Std iso didn't fill up an entire CD as it does today.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 07:20:53 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2008, 08:55:37 pm »

None of which explains why Puppy boots in 1min and VL takes 2.5min especially when both are derived from Slackware

I have four computers. VL boots in 40 seconds or less on all of them. The slowest one is a 1.3 GHz Celeron Tualatin with 1 gig of RAM. The fastest one is an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ with 3 gigs of RAM. Personally, I have zero interest in old, slow computers and have given any that I had away, but if that's the best someone can do, I sincerely wish them luck.

Even when I was running VL on a P133 laptop with 48 megs about seven years ago, it didn't take 2-1/2 minutes to boot.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2008, 10:03:48 pm »

I don't see how Puppy is any more a speciality product than VL.

I have used Puppy a lot while traveling. It is an excellent live product. I have not tried a hard drive install of it lately, but when I did in the past, the installer was very much a work in progress.

It still is, in a number of ways.

That doesn't change the fact that Puppy saved my sanity while I was in Dubai.

Though I do think Newtor has summed it up perfectly - a) there's no point in debating the validity or lack thereof regarding VL Light, as time will reveal that fairly clearly, and b) no doubt some insight into how certain aspects of the larger versions can be trimmed or further optimised without sacrificing wide-scale usability.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2008, 10:27:54 pm »

Puppy weighs in at 50M to 80M and boots very much faster than VL (60sec against 150sec plus).

Please let us help you! Something is seriously wrong with either your machine, hardware, BIOS or installation if Puppy takes 60 seconds and VL 150 seconds. I have loaded VL on old P200's with 96 MB of RAM and they boot MUCH faster than that. What sort of computer are you talking about?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2008, 12:35:33 am »

I agree with Bill: Puppy boots considerably faster than VL 5.9 Std as an installed OS. I'm gonna quantify that impression shortly, so if there are any conditions I should impose on the experiment, let me know. I plan to use the same computer for the comparison, probably different hard drives.

Estimate: If VL takes 100 seconds to boot, then Puppy would take 70 seconds. Is that 30% faster?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:52:01 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2008, 01:12:17 am »

Re: black & blue skins on xmms and gmplayer

I like the dark blue wallpaper, looks great. The skin of xine looks good here because in its standard form, it actually stands out against the blue wallpaper. This is what I call good contrast. Gmplayer and xmms, on the other hand, are more obscure because they blend in with the blue background. There's little contrast, and its difficult to see controls in the dark colors. When I see a screenshot posted, there is usually good contrast between the app displayed and the background wallpaper. When there is good contrast, the illusion that there are two planes on the screen is enhanced, giving an overall 3-D impression.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:21:03 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2008, 05:11:43 am »

I agree with Bill: Puppy boots considerably faster than VL 5.9 Std as an installed OS. I'm gonna quantify that impression shortly, so if there are any conditions I should impose on the experiment, let me know. I plan to use the same computer for the comparison, probably different hard drives.

Estimate: If VL takes 100 seconds to boot, then Puppy would take 70 seconds. Is that 30% faster?

Recommend you test Puppy as installed to a USB stick and Vector as a normal install - that way, neither is forced to load in an unusual manner (Puppy is intended to be run from external media, rather than as a hard-drive installation) which may mess up times.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Darin

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2008, 05:58:27 am »

as promised there is another version based upon light 2.3 but live with almost everything stripped out except opera...we have it loading on 64mb or ram running live but not sure how usable it is..I used flux with wbar and I was able to get idesk working but found it easier to just do a few custom scripts to go ahead and add the needed icons to the wbar instead...looked alot cleaner that way...the first iso was pretty good but uel redid the bootsplash for me to get the white text for the splash text and we have a different bootsplash and redid the wallpaper..this is was made for my personal stuff with me working on the supergamer series so it is stripped Smiley
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2008, 01:57:39 pm »

This probably can't be fixed but I'll report it anyway since VL: developers are generally more clever than I am...

I have two Toshiba Libretto SS1010 itty bitty subnotebooks, 233MHz Pentium processor in one, 266MHz in the other, 64MB RAM in one, 96MB RAM in the other.  96MB is maxed out, BTW.   Disk drive is only 2.1GB.  Upgrading isn't easy as Toshiba used a 6.4mm high drive in the Slim Shock series of the Libretto.  The only possibility is an IDE flash device -- not out of the question but not something I'm ready to do immediately. The issue with older Libretti is that they do not have a bootable CD-ROM drive, nor do they support booting from USB even if you have the docking bay with the USB 2.0 port, which I do. 

The method that worked for both VL 5.1 and VL 5.8 was to create a small partition (55MB) with Damn Small Linux frugal install.  Currently I have DSL 4.2.4 installed and running just fine.  Then I would use a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive, copy vinstall-cd to my home directory, and with a couple of minor edits to adjust for the older software in DSL the hosted install worked like a charm.  It doesn't work with VL 5.9 Light (any alpha version) or VL 5.9 Mini A1.  Oh, it installs everything as it should, tells me install is done, and then issues a segmentation fault telling me my kernel (I assume the DSL kernel) is too old.  DSL uses kernel 2.4.31.  If I then reboot and choose my new VL install from an entry I created in the grub menu it startd to boot, I get the penguin on the screen, and then:

Code:
ohci-hcd 0000:00:0b:0: request interrupt 11 failed
ohci-hcd 0000:00:0b:0: init 0000:00:0b:0 fail -16
kernel panic - not syncing VFS: unable to mount root-fs on unknown block (0,0)

So much for hosted installs with DSL.  I may try DSL-N 0.1rc4 or else DOS unless someone here has a brilliant suggestion.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2008, 02:43:30 pm »

Remove hdd from Libretto, attach IDE adapter to 2.5" hdd, install hdd in any old desktop PC, install VL on 2.5 hdd in desktop PC, remove hdd from PC and replace in laptop, boot to TUI, run VASM to redetect hardware. Might be worth a try.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2008, 05:08:44 pm »

You've obviously never tried to get a drive out of an SS1010.  The older Libretto models (20CTA-110CT) had drive caddies that were easy to get to.  Not so the Slim Shock series.  I won't be disassembling the system anytime soon if I can avoid it.  I have other methods to try.

DSL-N didn't work, FWIW.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2008, 04:34:49 am »

You've obviously never tried to get a drive out of an SS1010.
I definitely eschew Toshiba products.

my toy: HP Omnibook 510 (sans expansion base)
http://www.math.fau.edu/sramka/omnibook510/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:53:20 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: