VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 05:14:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL64-5.9-STD Beta 1 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 10430 times)
jack baron

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 06:17:18 am »

With compiz enabled (transparancy effects) and watching a movie in mplayer full screen
the image sometimes fades to black after a half an hour or so//
Maybe this is the screensavers interference?

More serious is that vlc crashes during the build due to ffmpeg library missing.
Building some applications via ./configure && make is often hard due to 32 bit compatibility problems..

all in all , i really like vl64 though Smiley
TRF

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 12:43:06 pm »

some problems for my Dell Inspirion 6400 Core 2 Duo / ATI x1400 / 1 gb ram

1) fglrx - works (3d not tested - I don't need it)
2) SMP - not working Sad tested - encoded video with x264 (compiled to be 64 bit) and comsol multyphisics - made some example calculations (package was installed in x86_64 mode)
3) there is package manager gui frontend - no new or other packages in original repos.  Cry
4) tried to install crossover office (did successfully in Bluewhite64) - failed (some pakages with 32 emulation are missing)
5) tried to compile avidemux (failed, to many dependencies to install - I didn't have that much time)

overall:
starts and works fast, faster then Archlinux, Frugalware and Bluewhite64 (due to default xfce4 desktop, I worked in GNOME and KDE there)
misses package repo, I would like to use BW64 one (it is quite big)

I wanna stay in it if I'll get CrossOver and Avidemux, but now back to arch_i686, waiting for stable release or something like packages of vlc, avidemux ... also OOO (I've tried to use i568 and BW64 builds but failed), OOO should be as an option because some people (like me) use it almost every day...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 12:47:17 pm by TRF » Logged
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 01:26:16 pm »

Only a minor issue - VL64 now has a comparable desktop load time to Vista.  At first, it was incredibly faster.  I would also note that Vista still boots faster too.

Been running FAH SMP version - appears to work, load alternates between cores, rest of machine's response remains snappish.

EDIT:  Also, and I'm pretty sure this is an xfce bug, not a VL one, but the shutdown dialogue from the menu is no longer working.  "Power" button the panel just closes the panel.  Thus, to shutdown the beast from Vector, "shutdown -h now" must be called.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:56:50 pm by BlueMage » Logged

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
alec

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 04:00:58 pm »

Installed ok
Wonderful speed! Definitely not self-suggestion, things are much faster.
No major problems except general lack of packages.
Xine shows videos in green and slow and huge cpuload.
Couldn't find xfce plugins for cpu usge and net usage

Vcpufreq won't start
Venice://home/alec
root:# vcpufreq-load
Syntax error in project file.
Cannot preload libraries: Success
sizeof(CLASS) = 256 !
gbx: Swapping archive
ERROR: #1: Out of memory
Segmentation fault
Venice://home/alec
root:# vcpufreq     
Syntax error in project file.
Cannot preload libraries: Success
sizeof(CLASS) = 256 !
gbx: Swapping archive
ERROR: #1: Out of memory
Segmentation fault
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 06:15:40 pm by alec » Logged
mkeszt

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 09:22:52 pm »

Hi to all at Vector,
Most impressed with the 64 bit version of Vector Linux, especially given that it is only a beta release at this stage.
My machine is as follows:

AMD 5600+
     Gigabyte GA-M61PM-S2 (on board graphics, sound and Ethernet using Nvidia MCP61 chipset)
     4 Gig DDR 2 memory running in dual channel mode (generic brand)
     2 SATA hard disks

These are my observations from the installation procedure:

The Nvidia graphics driver loads and works perfectly.
     The installation does NOT pick up the onboard ethernet, but when I reboot, it has been picked up. I simply need to configure it using VASM and all is fine.
     The ALSA configuration picks up my sound perfectly.

After installation, I have noticed only this issue:

The 'ping' command is missing, and I mean completely missing, as is its 'man' page.

Otherwise, everything seems to work, so Well Done!

If I may make the following observation. It seems to me that a 64 bit version would be better suited with the SOHO version of Vector Linux, which you may possibly be planning anyway. Apart from the obvious, that 64 bit machines are more than capable of running SOHO, I say this also because the version of 'Xine' that comes with the standard version does not play all the video files I try on it (and this applies to the 32 bit version as well), whilst the version of 'Xine' that comes with the SOHO version plays every video file that I throw at it. It seems an odd anomaly.

Now I am looking forward to the next release of 64 bit Vector.

Regards,

Mike (username 'mkeszt').
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 02:29:54 pm »

Odd, the "Shutdown" issue appears to have resolved itself ... GASP!  IT'S TURNING INTO WINDOWS!!!

Hmm, other issue I haven't mentioned yet - sound.  I'm sure this is something that could be rectified in alsamixer, but in case it isn't, I'll say it here:  I've got a Logitech X-530 system hooked up to my mahcine (onboard Intel HDA) using the front, side and subwoofer/center channels.  I've also got a headphone/mic combo hooked up to the audio-out/mic-in channels.  The audio-out/mic-in stuff works - the X-530 doesn't.

As I said, I'm sure this can be fixed in alsamixer, but in case it can't...

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: