VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 03:07:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL64-5.9-beta1 Is released  (Read 12118 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: January 08, 2008, 11:14:33 pm »

The VectorLinux team is pleased to announce the first public beta release of VL64-5.9-beta1. This is our latest 5.9 release optimized for 64 bit processors. The developers were a bit leery as older hardware is our niche but a strong contingent of our community felt that a 64 bit version was in order so that all could realize the beauty that is VectorLinux. To that end we proudly announce VL64 to our product lineup. This is a true 64bit linux OS, that is based on BlueWhite64.  The build has excellent 32bit compatability with flash working out of the box. We have done our best to duplicate the look and features of the 32bit version. We have included the latest xfce-4.4.2 fluxbox and jwm Window Managers. Seamonkey, firefox, and opera browsers. Basically all has been recompiled from scratch to make 64 bit machines scream. We need to warn that this may be to fast for the average user so don't blame us if your PC goes up in flames. You have been warned! Those willing to expose their boxes to extreme heat can get the iso here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-5.9/iso-release/VL64-5.9-STD-B1.iso
bea3cc99cde082108aa49cb059347c85  VL64-5.9-STD-B1.iso
Survivors can post bug reports here: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5254.0

Thanks,
The VL Team
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:02:25 am »

You beauty!  Knew I set aside that 10GB partition on my (64-bit) beast for a reason!  One more thing to look forward to going home for!  Thank you Vector Team.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 03:50:01 pm »

Thank you very much!
Will be testing soon.
hobbes2120

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 03:34:24 pm »

Hi. I have used Vector on all my 32-bit systems and have been extremely pleased with the way it works. I am just kind of curious about the packages for VL64. Currently I am using Fedora 8 64-bit and have noticed that there are packages built for both the 32 and 64 bit systems that are installed using yum. I am pretty sure that VL64 has many 32-bit applications installed when using slapt but I was wondering if there are many applications of the 64-bit variety in the vector repository?
thuja

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:50:25 pm »

Thanks for the 64 bit OS!  I do wish to mention an issue that I had, not out of lack of gratitude but to help improve the distro.  When I booted into my Vector system, the screen was configured quite screwy.  Everything was about three inches away from where it should be and on the far left of the screen was what should have on the far right.  I believe the problem is that is simply due to the fact I have a wide screen monitor because once I got into console I was able fix everything.  I just typed "X -configure", moved the new xorg.conf into the /etc/X11 and everything was cool.

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 03:05:53 pm »

I am pretty sure that VL64 has many 32-bit applications installed when using slapt but I was wondering if there are many applications of the 64-bit variety in the vector repository?
I'm not sure what would happen if you'd install 32 bit packages on 64 bit VL (have not tried it yet). There currently aren't a lot of 64 bit packages in the repository yet.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 03:30:40 pm »

I am pretty sure that VL64 has many 32-bit applications installed when using slapt but I was wondering if there are many applications of the 64-bit variety in the vector repository?
I'm not sure what would happen if you'd install 32 bit packages on 64 bit VL (have not tried it yet). There currently aren't a lot of 64 bit packages in the repository yet.

I did, I get the "wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64" in some library most of the time. A new compile using the src from the repo and using the build script as a guide works for me until now, and makes the compiling process really easy. I think if we include the necessary in the scripts to dynamically establish if the host is 64 or 32 bits, we could get almost every app in the 32 repo working easily.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:34:14 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 03:40:31 pm »

WARNING!! do NOT install slackware or VL 32bit packages on VL64 you WILL break something.
you can however explode the package and copy the contents to / if you put everything in /lib into /lib32, and /usr/lib into /usr/lib32
hobbes2120

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:18:10 pm »

Here is what I have noticed so far in the 64 bit realm.

totem.x86_64                             2.20.1-2.fc8           updates         
totem-devel.x86_64                       2.20.1-2.fc8           updates         
totem-devel.i386                         2.20.1-2.fc8           updates         
totem-galago.x86_64                      2.20.1-2.fc8           updates         
totem-lirc.x86_64                        2.20.1-2.fc8           updates         
totem-mozplugin.x86_64                   2.20.1-2.fc8           updates         
totem-plparser.x86_64                    2.20.1-2.fc8           updates         
totem-plparser.i386                      2.20.1-2.fc8           updates         
totem-xine.x86_64                        2.20.1-1.lvn8          livna           
totem-xine-devel.x86_64                  2.20.1-1.lvn8          livna           
totem-xine-galago.x86_64                 2.20.1-1.lvn8          livna           
totem-xine-lirc.x86_64                   2.20.1-1.lvn8          livna           
totem-xine-mozplugin.x86_64              2.20.1-1.lvn8          livna 

This is just an example of what I have installed on my system at the moment. If you take a look at it, there is not only 64 bit packages installed, but also 32 bit stuff. I am not sure what the significance is but I have always found it kind of odd when I yum install anything. I am not sure if there is a sort of reverse compatibility thing going on here but I am hoping a vector pro might shed some light on it. *note* The updates repository is one of the official fedora repositories. *end note* I am kind of anxious to give a 64 bit vector a whirl on my system but am hesitant due to possible package constraints.
undecided

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 08:01:42 am »

Grin Grin Grin Thank you! Thank you sooo much!!! Grin Grin Grin

I used to be a contented vector user in my first year of uni. Then problems with slapt-get meant I moved to debian-based systems. When I saw that VL had a 64bit edition out, and having recently realised that my Core 2 duo machine was actually 64 bit (I'm not slow, honest...) I thought I'd give it a try again!

I haven't been disappointed... ok, so my Intel HDA soundcard didn't work (a compile of a vanilla 2.6.23 kernel fixed that...), and I'm getting a bit annoyed with the constant need to reconfigure my wireless, but these are all easily fixable - for the most part, I'm happy!! (that might also be due to the fact that debian based systems have a major bug in their trackpad drivers relating to my particular Alps mousepad...)

I've even found the compositing features.... sweet!

Thank you for releasing a 64 bit version!!

Yours,
One very happy chappie!
DocTaz

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 08:39:48 pm »

Seems to run great for me. Running this on a HP dv6640us laptop, with 4 GB memory, and AMD64 Athlon X2 proc @ 1.8 GHz (dual core).

Linked the 6 GB swapfile I made for the 32-bit 5.9 Std to the 64-bit system for good measure.

The only problem I've had so far is when the PC compiled the Atmel drivers (from http://at76c503a.berlios.de/) for my LinkSys 2.4G 802.11b USB adapter. It returned some unresolved symbols, but otherwise works. It's probably because these drivers are 32-bit, I suppose. Other than that, no problems so far. (The Broadcom drivers that come with this version still don't work for me... Tongue But I've decided to pass on that for now. My laptop uses the Broadcom 4311 v.2 adapter that's built in. Works fine in Windows Vista, though.)

NVidia 3d for the 7150 chipset works great. The 64-bit drivers I'm using are the ones directly available from the NVidia website. I might be compelled to try out the Beryl 3d desktop here. Smiley

My projected uses for the 64-bit version might be for some scientific utilities, as well as maybe messing around with the Blender 3d graphics app.

Haven't tried any games yet, but I bet Open Arena will be a blast here. It's got 64-bit executables for single and dual CPU systems. Just need to copy that from Vista, over to the 64-Bit VL.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 02:04:40 am »

WHOO BABY!

Compiled to make Vector scream on 64-bit beasts, and screaming it IS!

No swap, and using propriety nVidia drivers.  Working well so far, eye-candy works a treat.

Gonna have a fiddle, see if I can't get Crysis to run through Wine or cedega Cheesy

EDIT:  Eh, bugger cedega - I like my free beer!  Still screams though.  So instead, to test, I'm gonna let the SMP-enabled version of Folding@Home run for a bit

EDIT2:  Hmm, that's interesting - had no idea LILO doesn't play nice when installed with non-MBR option when using XFS for your root partition...  Also, no dragging between screens?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:28:28 am by BlueMage » Logged

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 08:14:27 pm »

EDIT2:  Hmm, that's interesting - had no idea LILO doesn't play nice when installed with non-MBR option when using XFS for your root partition...  Also, no dragging between screens?

That's a known issue with XFS in general and is not limited to VL. ;-)

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 09:11:08 pm »

I figured as much - guess that's why it's referred to as an experimental file system, eh?  It's all good though, just means XFS doesn't get priority for root partition.

Oh yeah, y'all were right about generating heat - leaving F@H running caused my baby to overheat a tad.  By way of comparison, consider that Crysis on Very High detail settings, renowned for its ability to bring even ninja-PCs to their knees, does not cause my girl to overheat as this did.  So in that sense, truly, my hat is off to you Vector Team.

alec

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 03:15:21 pm »

Before I go to install this 64 bit version
Is update coming out any time soon? perhaps I can wait a week
And when it comes out, is it difficult to make new install up to date, or is the only way to do a new install?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: