VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 03:28:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux on Linux Format  (Read 1787 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« on: January 10, 2008, 03:16:47 pm »

A Vector Linux iso is available with February edition of Linux Format in the UK. Its the RC2 version of 5.9.  Accompanying it is a 7 page article "Resurrect your old PC" featuring Vector as the distro of choice.  Just a shame that it wasn't the final version, but this is the way these things work given the time scale of producing magazine disks and articles.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:21:51 pm »

That's AWESOME Grin and TERRIBLE Cry all at the same time.  Is the fact that it's RC2 advertised on the disc or in the magazine?

I guess there's always the old saying - "There's no such thing as bad publicity" - to fall back on Cheesy
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:30:57 pm »

The release candidates seemed to have been pretty stable.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 01:25:23 am »

That's AWESOME Grin and TERRIBLE Cry all at the same time.  Is the fact that it's RC2 advertised on the disc or in the magazine?

I guess there's always the old saying - "There's no such thing as bad publicity" - to fall back on Cheesy

It is advertised as RC2 and there is a mention that the full version should be available soon.

Unfortunately articles and disks are planned a bit in advance.
Steve_Barker

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:36:47 pm »

I had a few min to spare at lunch time, and so read the article Resurrect your old PC, in WH Smiths. It gave Vector a very good plug. I'd have been happy with 5.8; I've been using it for about 6 months and would not fault it, and once tested just becomes a part of daily life.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 01:35:48 am »

Hi Steve and welcome.... I wish W H Smiths would stop hiding the Linux mags on the bottom shelf - they do that where you are?
Steve_Barker

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 03:42:57 am »

Pleased to be here Lyn.

In our WH Smiths, there are 3d stick out perspex racks - Linux Mag is right at the back hidden by the shelf above, and Linux Format in front, and then both are currently hidden by a Wii mag with a plastic bag to keep the free gift from straying. These are then lost in a sea of Mac Mags.

As distros go I think Vector is great for low spec machines, and windows users, so anything that increases awareness of Vector in the UK must be good. I have introduced a couple of people to Linux with the live disk.

I also like the live disk version because it includes Opera on a live disk (used Puppy before). I've used Opera for so long (well before changing to Linux) that I tend not to like anything else, other than Konqueror and iCab.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 12:20:48 pm »

Yes that is much my experience in Cardiff.   Fortunately Micro Mart is prominently displayed, and that is fairly pro linux, but then its a computer builder's magazine.  Every week it has a windows crashing picture sent in by members of the public and they have been quite complementary on Vector before.  I find Vector great for reviving old machines and very fast on new... just wish the profile of linux and vector was higher in the UK.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 03:06:09 am »

Yeah, and MicroMart also carries ads for secondhand computers which the other computer magazines in the UK don't.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: