Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Vector Linux on Linux Format  (Read 2017 times)

Lyn

• Vectorian
Vector Linux on Linux Format
« on: January 10, 2008, 03:16:47 pm »
A Vector Linux iso is available with February edition of Linux Format in the UK. Its the RC2 version of 5.9.  Accompanying it is a 7 page article "Resurrect your old PC" featuring Vector as the distro of choice.  Just a shame that it wasn't the final version, but this is the way these things work given the time scale of producing magazine disks and articles.

newt

• Vectorian
Re: Vector Linux on Linux Format
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:21:51 pm »
That's AWESOME ;D and TERRIBLE :'( all at the same time.  Is the fact that it's RC2 advertised on the disc or in the magazine?

I guess there's always the old saying - "There's no such thing as bad publicity" - to fall back on :D

Triarius Fidelis

• Vecteloper
  • Vectorian
  • Domine, exaudi vocem meam
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:30:57 pm »
The release candidates seemed to have been pretty stable.
"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months

Lyn

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 01:25:23 am »
That's AWESOME ;D and TERRIBLE :'( all at the same time.  Is the fact that it's RC2 advertised on the disc or in the magazine?

I guess there's always the old saying - "There's no such thing as bad publicity" - to fall back on :D

It is advertised as RC2 and there is a mention that the full version should be available soon.

Unfortunately articles and disks are planned a bit in advance.

Steve_Barker

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:36:47 pm »
I had a few min to spare at lunch time, and so read the article Resurrect your old PC, in WH Smiths. It gave Vector a very good plug. I'd have been happy with 5.8; I've been using it for about 6 months and would not fault it, and once tested just becomes a part of daily life.

Lyn

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 01:35:48 am »
Hi Steve and welcome.... I wish W H Smiths would stop hiding the Linux mags on the bottom shelf - they do that where you are?

Steve_Barker

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 03:42:57 am »
Pleased to be here Lyn.

In our WH Smiths, there are 3d stick out perspex racks - Linux Mag is right at the back hidden by the shelf above, and Linux Format in front, and then both are currently hidden by a Wii mag with a plastic bag to keep the free gift from straying. These are then lost in a sea of Mac Mags.

As distros go I think Vector is great for low spec machines, and windows users, so anything that increases awareness of Vector in the UK must be good. I have introduced a couple of people to Linux with the live disk.

I also like the live disk version because it includes Opera on a live disk (used Puppy before). I've used Opera for so long (well before changing to Linux) that I tend not to like anything else, other than Konqueror and iCab.

Lyn

• Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 12:20:48 pm »
Yes that is much my experience in Cardiff.   Fortunately Micro Mart is prominently displayed, and that is fairly pro linux, but then its a computer builder's magazine.  Every week it has a windows crashing picture sent in by members of the public and they have been quite complementary on Vector before.  I find Vector great for reviving old machines and very fast on new... just wish the profile of linux and vector was higher in the UK.

Colonel Panic

• Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 03:06:09 am »

Yeah, and MicroMart also carries ads for secondhand computers which the other computer magazines in the UK don't.