VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 01:39:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: some easy to use mounters  (Read 4448 times)
cb88

« on: January 14, 2008, 10:22:49 am »

I would like to see the disk mount applications from puppylinux ported to Vector

they are mut pmount and pdrive (the prettest pmount based) they require tk and gtkdialog3 resectively and are hence extremely small but look kewl esp pdrive: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=26538396&t=21200

I tried to explain to my grandmother last night how to download the pics from here camera and that was the deal breaker

mount /dev/sdc /mnt/pendrive is not acceptable as far as i am concerned although it works in a pinch it is definitly not vectorbie/linuxbie friendly

VL-hot in 5.9-gold did not mount the drive at all as far as i could tell but strangely mounted a nonexistant 16gb drive regardless a application style mounter is needed beyond the integrated one xfce drive mounter thing on the taskbar is worthless beyond a space indicator as far as i can tell

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 10:24:23 am by cb88 » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:04:55 am »

You shouldn't even need the mounters - it should all be done for you automatically, including popping up the Thunar file manager, if you have HAL loaded and working (did you choose VL-HOT or HAL during the install? If the latter you should get an icon on your screen for the drive. If the former file manager should pop up). Before we consider to be what I think are redundant applications (the Puppy mounters), you should try HAL first:

Menu, System, VASM, SUPER, HARDWARE, MOUNTER, choose HAL, reboot.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:48:49 am »

VL-hot in 5.9-gold did not mount the drive at all as far as i could tell but strangely mounted a nonexistant 16gb drive

That's very strange. VL-Hot is very stable by now. I haven't had a problem with it in 5.9, nor have I seen here any similar report (AFAIR). Would you like to debug the issue? Or are you switching to hal?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
cb88

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:18:39 pm »

i don't think i can reproduce the "bug" but I give it a try tonight (if the sd card is around might not be)

perhaps the mounters are redundant but they are only a few measly Kb why not? even at my connection speed of 14.4kbs they download fast..... if you can have a backup with minimal overhead why not i'ed rather have 2 apps that work pretty good than 1 and no fallback (command line don't count...well maybe it does but you get the idea)

also i find VL-hot rather strange mostly that it mounts as /mnt/VL-hot/sda/vol-1/ 

instead of /mnt/sda1 which is the standard path (faster to type too) is it not?

please note that VL-hot does work for my flash drive just fine
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:22:26 pm by cb88 » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 01:27:45 pm »

also i find VL-hot rather strange mostly that it mounts as /mnt/VL-hot/sda/vol-1/

What if you have more than one volume?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 01:43:14 pm »

What if you have more than one volume?
The next one would become sda2 wouldn't it?

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 01:57:25 pm »

LOL I read wrong sorry, sda1, sda2, sdan sounds reasonable  Embarrassed
The Tab key works for me though.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 02:38:41 pm »

i don't think i can reproduce the "bug" but I give it a try tonight (if the sd card is around might not be)
Sorry, I didn't get the fact that it was an SD card. Is it an internal reader?

That's because I have a 160 GB USB HDD with 4 partitions, as well as pendrive or 2. It was more organized by mounting each partition inside a common "drive" folder. Also, during vl-hot development I asked several times for input on this and didn't get much, so... Wink

One of the things I was going to implement was a single unmount action for a whole drive (like in winders, lol). This is one of the things still on my TODO, but I am currently evaluating if it's worth doing further development on vl-hot at all. Anyway, the long path is no biggie except when working in the cli.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:05:13 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
cb88

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 11:30:35 am »

Yeah I have been getting used to vector... I useually adapt well.. :-)

I see where you are comming from with vl-hot but how does placing the volumes in a directory affect whole drive mount/unmount don't you still have to unmount individually (at least at the system level)?

My winmodem started hiccupping last night I had to log in as a different user then could connect what are the user specific dialup config file? never networked on linux before (yet again how ironic...)

seriously what is the hurt in having multiple mounting systems concurrently? if you don't mind some of the puppy linux quirks then check out version 2.14R (Revisited) and updated version based on a favorite kernel config it has 3 mounting systems in a 80mb distro abiword gnumeric seamonkey all in all a pretty good array of apps

puppy has a lot of script based apps like Pfind (very good) Pbackup Pburn Grafburn (has some fame actually) Pmount Mut and hot-pup.sh

the newest being hotpup which adds links to the drives/partitions to the destop much like vl-hot personally i like it better since it only uses one icon per drive click to open and right click for menu

I bet it could be addapted to other window managers as well

just a though... why don't desktop icons work exactly like menu entrys? with .desktop files?

hope nobody minds my blathering on...LOL
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:39:40 am »

I see where you are comming from with vl-hot but how does placing the volumes in a directory affect whole drive mount/unmount don't you still have to unmount individually (at least at the system level)?
Not much, but It was going to make it possible to do a single desktop icon for the whole drive, with the mounted partitions inside. Also, when browsing the vl-hot dir, it was neater to have them per drive, rather than a whole bunch of partitions loose within the top-level dir.

the newest being hotpup which adds links to the drives/partitions to the destop much like vl-hot personally i like it better since it only uses one icon per drive click to open and right click for menu
Yes, vl-hot does single icons on KDE, but for XFCE it doesn't work through the actions menu, so I would have to implement it through dbus, for which I don't know enough yet.

hope nobody minds my blathering on...LOL
Nope... Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: