VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 11:56:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: chestnut and the user  (Read 2199 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: January 04, 2008, 02:26:48 am »

I just downloaded and installed vl5.9 std gold to a p3 600 mhz, 512 pc100 ram, ati agp rage 128 pro, cl 4281? snd, fm8818 modem with rockwell chipset. the hd is 4gig with 3000 boot,500 home and remaining swap...the install was smooth and I logged in as user...the box has two cd drives but only one is mountable I do not know how to mount the other....the 100 meg zip is not mountable or shall I say I do not know how to mount it...the snd is working...

MODEM is detected ttys1...as user I set up account for chestnut dial-up..but do not have permission to tty...log in as root and set up account and dials and browser works...

question one is how do I access the internet...as root?...how do I access as user...went to group as root and added username after tty::5:<user_name> but made no diff...help?

Everything Is Relative
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:29:58 am »

MODEM is detected ttys1...as user I set up account for chestnut dial-up..but do not have permission to tty...log in as root and set up account and dials and browser works...
You need to add yourself to the tty group. Login as root to a terminal. Type this exactly (replace username with your username):
Code:
usermod -G usename,lp,floppy,audio,video,cdrom,games,scanner,users,tty username

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:17:04 pm »

Hello..Thankyou...
1- is there a differance between root opening /etc/group/ and adding username to tty::5:username or root opening a terminal and typeing usermod -G username,lp,audio,etc,tty username?

I did one then removed username and did as suggested...since the first had no effect..but nor did the second.

I am the root user of the machine and had intended to use it as such and can access the internet via a dial-up connection, my desire was to allow others to access the machine via user login and access the net to check webmails and whatever but limit access to programs and files on the box via limited menu choice and permissions...that's one of the reasons I like linux...I have much to learn but am not afraid..

2- so what now..this is a fresh install...did something go wrong? ok well evidently something is wrong...is it fixable or do I need to reinstall.....any help is truely and sincerely appreciated. Thanks

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 07:47:03 pm »

Ok..I reinstalled and copied the suggested code replaceing username with my user name and I still do not have permission. but think now it will be problematic useing root all the time to use the internet. any thoughts

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:30:50 pm »

Ok..I reinstalled and copied the suggested code replaceing username with my user name and I still do not have permission. but think now it will be problematic useing root all the time to use the internet. any thoughts

As your 'regular' user, type 'groups' into a terminal and tell us what comes up.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:22:45 am »

vector:/~
overthere:$ groups
overthere sys adm tty lp wheel floppy audio video cdrom games scanner users
overthere:$ su
Password:
You are working as root
Frequently used programs:
Configuration  : vasm
Package manager: slapt-get, pkg
Network tools  : ifconfig, host, ping, nmap, iptables
File manager   : mc (press F2 for useful menu)
Editor         : mcedit, nano, vi
Multimedia     : alsamixer, play
vector://home/overthere
root:# usermod -G overthere ,sys,adm,tty,lp,wheel,floppy,audio,video,cdrom,games,scanner,users,tty overthere
usage: usermod  [-u uid [-o]] [-g group] [-G group,...]
                [-d home [-m]] [-s shell] [-c comment] [-l new_name]
                [-f inactive] [-e expire ] [-p passwd] [-L|-U] name
root:#

----------------------------------------------------
group
---------------------------------------------------------
root::0:root
bin::1:root,bin,daemon
daemon::2:root,bin,daemon
sys::3:root,bin,adm,overthere
adm::4:root,adm,daemon,overthere
tty::5:overthere
disk::6:root,adm
lp::7:lp,overthere
mem::8:
kmem::9:
wheel::10:root,overthere
floppy::11:root,overthere
mail::12:mail
news::13:news
uucp::14:uucp
man::15:
audio::17:overthere
video::18:overthere
cdrom::19:overthere
games::20:overthere
slocate::21:
utmp::22:
smmsp::25:smmsp
mysql::27:
rpc::32:
sshd::33:sshd
gdm::42:
shadow::43:
ftp::50:
apache:x:80:
messagebus:x:81:
haldaemon:x:82:
plugdev:x:83:
power:x:84:
pop::90:pop
scanner::93:overthere
nobody::98:nobody
nogroup::99:
users::100:overthere
console::101:
overthere:x:1000:

Everything Is Relative
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 07:42:17 am »

overthere:$ groups
overthere sys adm tty lp wheel floppy audio video cdrom games scanner users
overthere:$ su
Password:
You are working as root
Frequently used programs:
Configuration  : vasm
Package manager: slapt-get, pkg
Network tools  : ifconfig, host, ping, nmap, iptables
File manager   : mc (press F2 for useful menu)
Editor         : mcedit, nano, vi
Multimedia     : alsamixer, play
root:# usermod -G overthere ,sys,adm,tty,lp,wheel,floppy,audio,video,cdrom,games,scanner,users,tty overthere
usage: usermod  [-u uid [-o]] [-g group] [-G group,...]
                [-d home [-m]] [-s shell] [-c comment] [-l new_name]
                [-f inactive] [-e expire ] [-p passwd] [-L|-U] name

That "usage" output is telling you that you incorrectly executed the command usermod.
There should be no whitespace between the overthere and the sys, ie usermod -G overthere,sys,....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 09:26:05 am »

Well, he's a member of the tty group now, that much is certain.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 10:05:39 am »

Oh...LOL...your just messin with me...LOL...you guys are too much..well I'll put ya with antixm7, ubuntu, puppy, and pc...Dang I love this new shredder

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 10:41:54 am »

Oh...LOL...your just messin with me...LOL...you guys are too much..well I'll put ya with antixm7, ubuntu, puppy, and pc...Dang I love this new shredder

Who is messing with you? Clarify, please.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 11:57:28 am »

Hey nothing person Epic fail guy

Nice look, great advertizing for an internet desktop workstation, However:
- It will not allow a slave on either ide,
- The burners do not function by default,xfburn disappears when you click burn
- The dialer does not work,
- The fluxbox menu is not updated by default.
- The only game that worked was pysol ( great version)
- only the oldest screensavers worked, molecule froze the system and the deamon is on by default.
- The digi cam only works if the sd card is removed,no other functionality
- with a slap and click auto hidding wmdrawer amoung others I grow weary of the dismal microsoft start button. for a note pad one had to click start scroll for a menu scroll for another menu and scroll for the minimalistic pad..even now..I see here though a menu has been removed from that concept...come on where is the creative juice. Artistically gracefull Simple fast functional fun this is not

...If this was truely a good internet desktop workstation any one who installed it ( and it is easy to install) would be able to dial a connection, download a file, save it the home directory, burn it and go play tux out of the box. it does non of these things on my test machine and I know how to install and test if nothing else. and I give opportunity for at least one fix

.. I agree any experienced slakeman could likely fire it up in a flash and be blissfully permissioned. but thats not what I look for..no hard feelings, This is great work, I have already mentioned the great list of apps and I look forward to the next distro

Best of luck

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 12:54:49 am »

Chestnut dialer must be root from user..added a wmdrawer button to root chestnut /sbin/vsuper..when clicked it opens root password dialog, when password entered it opens chestnut,-click account,-enter isp password, and it dials. Then click browser button in drawer then surf. I attempted to make one button that opened the browser and then rooted dialer but the dialer always opened first and was covered by the browser...one may click it back on top via the tray and save a button but it always gives the impression of not working correctly.
If it is the only way, I can live with it ...

at least it dials the account from user. solved?

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: