VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 12:44:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vectorlinux compatible hardware for custom build.  (Read 2020 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: January 12, 2008, 01:39:31 pm »

I used vector linux quite some time ago with great results. Because of my job I ended up switching back to windows even for my personal use. I'd like to make a new machine for personal use and use vector linux. I've missed it since switching back.

Can someone suggest to me some hardware/parts that will have no problems with vectorlinux. For example, which soundblaster cards run well from the basic cd install?

Video cards? Network cards?

Since I am building the machine from used parts or ebay finds, I can get the hardware which will offer the best compatibility and least problems. I'd just like to save myself any headaches with configuration if possible.

I figure many of you guys know exactly what parts offer the best out of the box compatibility with vector linux. I'd appreciate your thoughts on building a system just for vector linux.

I already have a case, power supply, hard drives, flatscreen monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers...

Thanks for your thoughts guys...

Steven

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 02:10:42 pm »

Hi haywire,

One thing seems to be the case:  you're far less likely to have problems with nVidia cards than ATI.  That may change soon since AMD acquired ATI and has promised to work more on Linux drivers, but to my knowledge it hasn't happened yet.

It seems that for other hardware you can get most things working these days, one way or another, sometimes having to use ndiswrapper, but I'll leave it to others to say what works easily out of the box.

BTW, my graphics card is an nVidia GeForce4 with 128 MB of memory.  It's always worked great with Vector (meaning, the proprietary nVidia drivers always have worked for me).  The proprietary nVidia and ATI drivers are included with VL 5.9, and are set up during the install.

I would recommend buying the Deluxe edition (there's a link at www.vectorlinux.com), just for all the extra goodies.  I bought it and am very happy with it.

Good luck,
Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 05:07:56 pm »

Thanks Tom,

I did plan on buying the deluxe edition because I have a particular interest in multimedia applications especially ardour.

If I can,I will buy the same video card you mentioned, that should provide plenty of video ram and no problems. One particular feature of linux I always loved (and used constantly) was the multi-desktop feature, so all that video ram will be good to have.

Now I just need to figure out the sound card (I'd like a 24 bit soundcard) I'm fairly certain most common network cards should be supported with vector linux.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated guys...

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 05:58:38 pm »

I second the suggestion regarding nVidia video cards. I have had much better luck with those than the ATI ones. Intel integrated graphics also work very well.

It is hard to find a motherboard without integrated sound nowadays. Same thing with network ports. Chances are, they will work with VL. Only thing I have to say is try to stay away from the SiS chipsets. In my experience they are poor performers.

If you go with separate add-in cards, the old Creative Soundblaster Live Value cards are well supported in Linux. So are Intel and Realtek NIC's.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 11:13:45 pm »

Thank you for your thoughts on this new pc.

I will be using my vector pc for audio development...

So while I'm very familar with sb cards,I'd like a better 24 bit solution.
The pc will be used for sound design, guitar and vocal recording and audio tracking
with skale tracker and milky tracker.

Imagine a tracker for synths, drums and bass, ardour or audacity for guitars and vocals.
This new pc must also be able to make audio cd's and mp3's.

While I think over this new machine...
Thats a second thought, I assumed both would just work but has anyone installed either skaletracker www.skale.org or milkytracker www.milkytracker.net on their vector pc's?

These are pretty much required for me to get any audio work done on the new pc.

I am hoping that deluxe package with the second cd will provide some much needed
help on audio recording software with audacity and ardour installable right from cd.

On windows, I use audacity and adobe audition. Ardour would be far superior for my needs I belive, but long ago it was difficult to install and get working.

I tried migrating my audio needs to linux some time ago but went running back to windows when it seemed like getting ardour working was a big challenge.

That plus my day job always using windows made me go back.

Now, vector and linux has matured. Alot more audio apps are available now. I think I can get by with linux which I would prefer for my daily computing (web, email, whatever) plus audio needs.

Is anyone using a 24 bit audio card with vector? The guitars are crisper and sound better with 24 bit.

www.haywire.tv for examples of works I have produced on the windows platform.
Some of that audio was produced on suse linux with skale tracker.... Other parts of audio were produced using vector linux and soundtracker. All the videos were produced
with windows.

I know linux rocks, I want to migrate but I need 24 bit audio recording and the ability to burn cds. I am also very interested in the video capabilities of the deluxe edition of vector linux.

Anyone using linux for audio, please chime in. Anyone else, please chime in and help me pick the right parts to make this p.c. work well for me as an audio workstation.

Vector is so fast and has so much potential. I have nothing but great respect for its creators. What a fantastic thing we have here, a secret almost free weapon for the underground artist...

I will order the deluxe edition of vector next week while I scour for more parts.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this.

Steven

As long as it recorded in 24 bit I'd be happy.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 01:27:44 am »

Thats a second thought, I assumed both would just work but has anyone installed either skaletracker www.skale.org or milkytracker www.milkytracker.net on their vector pc's?
Milkytracker seems to work fine (hadn't tried that one in a while), as does skale after some fiddling. To get skale to run I had to:

-make Skale.x86 executable:
Code:
chmod +x Skale.x86
-edit SkaleLinux.cfg and set
#FULLSCREEN_BITS "16", the default value is 32 but it has never worked with 32 for me.

Imagine a tracker for synths, drums and bass, ardour or audacity for guitars and vocals.
I sure hope you don't plan on using one of these trackers at the same time as ardour or audacity, that could be difficult. I never really did like trackers for synths, though I have to say madtracker with vst plugins or controlling hardware synths is nice (IIRC the linux version of skale doesn't support VST). Too bad Madtracker was programmed for windows, though it does run rather well under wine.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 11:32:16 am »

Thanks Headacher,

Its good to know those will both work. No I don't plan to run them at the same time as adour or audacity. Generally in the past I dump the seperated tracks to my multitrack editor and add the guitars/bass/vocals there and do the final mixing there.

Sounds like you know a good deal about audio...
Any suggestions for a 24 bit soundcard that works well with vectorlinux?

Didn't madtracker go open source? I'm surprised no one ported it to linux yet. 3 or 4 years ago the audio apps available for linux were alot less stable and workable, but I think now they have really caught up. I'm really looking forward to a stable work enviorment that will be vector linux based.

Right now I just am struggling to find the best speed processor and most ram I can afford for this machine. I have plenty of spare hard drives around and a dvd-r. I may just buy a whole pc and add some extra hard drives. I haven't decided yet.

Steven

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 12:11:24 pm »

Any suggestions for a 24 bit soundcard that works well with vectorlinux?
No, I've only used linux on my own laptops, and don't have room or money for a big computer that's better than my main laptop. Therefore, I always have to do with whatever soundcard is in the laptop. But if you find a card that you are interested in, it's always a good idea to check out if it's supported here: http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main .

Didn't madtracker go open source? I'm surprised no one ported it to linux yet.
I think you're confused with modplug.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 12:21:41 pm »

Yes your right modplug went open source not madtracker.

Thanks I will look around for a supported 24 bit capable soundcard. Hopefully there won't be huge headaches getting audio in and out with vectorlinux.

Steven
cb88

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 12:05:28 pm »

sound tracker is pretty easy to compile.
http://www.soundtracker.org/download.php3
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 01:20:05 pm »

You MADE those vids???  Wow!

Another vote for Nvidia.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 01:08:33 pm »

Yes now imagine what I could do with the power of VECTORLINUX

Smiley