VectorLinux
August 31, 2014, 11:36:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mercury iCam Webcam  (Read 6686 times)
gitarman

« on: January 18, 2008, 12:18:03 am »

Hi all,

I'm using Vector Linux 5.9 Standard and am trying to get my el cheapo Mercury iCam working under it using the gspcav1-20071224 driver.  I don't get any errors compiling it from source, and i've also tried installing using the slackbuild.  Either way what I get when I plug the webcam in is a green display when I look in Kopete.

When I try the spcagui util, I get this error message:
video device /dev/video0
wrong device

I googled this message but I didn't find any current info - it appears that my username is a member of the video group.

I've got all the kernel drivers going v4l, spca, and when i do a lsusb i get
Bus 1 Device 5: ID 0c45:602c Microdia Clas Ohlson TWC-30XOP WebCam

Which is a supported CAM for the driver.

I also had this very same cam running fine under Fedora 7 ...

Any ideas on how I can get this thing working?

Thx in advance,
Steve
gitarman

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:14:11 pm »

Alright dudes,

I found a google answer - for anyone else who has this problem, this is the fix:

The problem comes from the sn9c102 module, it isn't the right one (gspca is). You need to:
- blacklist sn9c102 (in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file)
- be sure the gspca module is installed - Reboot

Presto - it detects properly as VideoCam Messenger SN9C101 ov76

Cheerio
Stokstaartje

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:43:35 pm »

I am trying to get my supported Logitech QuickCam IM/Connect to work with that same driver. But I can't get to compile. Followed the instructions accompanying the driver, i.e. ./gspca_build as root but I am greeted with the following messages:

Code:
root:# ./gspca_build

REMOVE the old module if present
ERROR: Module gspca does not exist in /proc/modules

CLEAN gspca source tree
rm -r -f *.o decoder/.gspcadecoder.o.cmd decoder/*.o \
        .gspca.o.cmd  *.o *.ko *.mod.* .[a-z]* core *.i \
        *.symvers *.err

COMPILE gspca Please Wait ....!!

INSTALL gspca in the kernel binary tree
mkdir -p /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/media/
rm -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/media/spca5xx.ko
rm -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca.ko
install -c -m 0644 gspca.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/media/
install: cannot stat `gspca.ko': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1

LOAD gspca in memory
FATAL: Module gspca not found.

PRINT COMPILATION MESSAGES if ERRORS look kgspca.err
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/magdor/Downloads/gspcav1-20071224 CC=cc modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.14'
  CC [M]  /home/magdor/Downloads/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.o
/home/magdor/Downloads/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:65:34: error: decoder/gspcadecoder.h: No such file or directory
/home/magdor/Downloads/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:845:27: error: utils/spcausb.h: No such file or directory

Followed by a whole slew of similar "No such file or directory" errors

Any idea what I might be doing wrong here?

----------------------------------
I hope I didn't brain my damage!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 02:19:43 pm »

I had an older version working, sorry no version number here. I tried to compile the driver again from http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/gspcav1/build/
The driver compile just fine, but when trying to modprobe I got:

Code:
root:# modprobe gspca
FATAL: Error inserting gspca (/lib/modules/2.6.22.14/kernel/drivers/usb/media/gspca.ko): Invalid module format
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 06:39:30 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:44:08 pm »

Damn, I compiled every gspca source from here http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download/oldrelease/ with same results. Stokstaartje, perhaps you want to try one of those.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
Stokstaartje

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 04:06:48 am »

Damn, I compiled every gspca source from here http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download/oldrelease/ with same results. Stokstaartje, perhaps you want to try one of those.

Strange. I compiled from the same source, http://mxhaard.free.fr/, and still no luck. Same error messages. Must be something in my set-up. Kind of blocked here. Will try again later today.

Switched to dynebolic and there xawtv was able to use the webcam. Will look into which version of gspca is used there.

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:58:28 am »

It's looking like a problem in the kernel configuration or something. Everyone who tried building the gspca drivers on 5.9 std has failed so far to my knowledge. I tried it some time ago, but I gave up when it didn't work right away.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 01:06:54 pm »

Ok, reinstalled the kernel packages and I was able to compile the latest gspca driver just fine.

rbistolfi:$ lsmod | grep gspca
gspca                 679888  0
videodev               26880  1 gspca

Smiley

--
Jumalauta!!
Stokstaartje

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 12:51:48 pm »

O great Obi-Wan,

could you be persuaded to outline the steps involved to this Young Paduan on his path to Enlightenment?

Webcam I too would like to

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 02:03:32 pm »

hehe, I am not as good as Obi-Wan, but he hangs at #vectorlinux sometimes if you want to meet him Cheesy.
Now, from padowan to padowan, looks like we are having different problems. My error message was "wrong module format". By The_Headacher suggestion I started troubleshooting around the kernel and I realized any kernel related stuff will fail (as the nvidia drivers and such). So I reinstalled the kernel packages downloading them from the repos and installed manually with installpkg, and reinstalled the dev-bulk also (just in case my gcc was corrupted). I reinstalled the kernel-src package as well, since I compiled some kernels for the lappy and I wanted to be sure they were in good shape. You can find kernel packages at the vl repo under the kernels directory. You have to pick a version and download the three, kernel, kernel-modules and kernel-src all of them with the same version number. This last is very important. Then as root in a terminal navigate to where you downloaded the packages and install them with installpkg <nameofthepkg>. Then run vliloconf and follow the process to install lilo. Now reboot and a new option for the new kernel will appear at the lilo list of OS.

HTH

--
Jumalauta!!
Stokstaartje

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 01:24:17 pm »

Wow! So in effect I would have the choice of which kernel to load?

This would mean that I don't have to sacrifice a production machine to test this out, as the stable kernel would always be available after a reboot. Correct?

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 01:28:44 pm »

That is correct.

--
Jumalauta!!
Stokstaartje

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 03:29:37 am »

Ooooooooooh, shame on me. As it turns out the problems were the result of not paying attention to the details. When unpacking the tar.gz with Xarchiver I got some warnings. Of course I ignored these.

I started paying attention to these warnings when I could not build other applications that formerly gave no problems at all (lua, lincity, signify, ...).

So, I went back to the command line "tar -xzvf ......" for unpacking and presto all of my ./configure, make, make install problems where gone.

I have not tested the module yet as this was a late night discovery. But at least I could build it (and all of the others too).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: