VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 04:48:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't burn CDs with Xfburn  (Read 7539 times)
kortsen

A true geek dual-boots 2 Linux distros

« on: January 15, 2008, 03:05:14 pm »

I just tried to burn a CD for the first time.  I see that Xfburn and K3b are both installed.  I tried Xfburn first.  Launched the program, selected "Burn CD image", clicked on "image to burn" and selected an ISO file.  I noticed that my "Burning device" was listed properly as "TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2002" but the "Speed" was blank. I tried to select 4X manually by clicking on the [\/] tab but the pull-down menu was blank.  I also noticed that [X] BurnFree was checked, even thought it's not compatible with my drive.  Oh well, click [Burn] and see what happens.  Program exits.

Lets try k3b, because I know it works under Kubuntu on this machine.  It didn't work but at least it gave me some error messages.
     (X) CDrecord has no permission to open the device.
     (X) You my use K3bsetup2 to solve this problem.

So I went to "Configure system permissions" in K3b and it gave root permission to cdrdao, cdrecord, and growisofs.  After a reboot, I did a quick test burn and everything went fine.

I decided to try xfburn again.  First I erased the CD-R/W I was playing with and that worked just fine (but I hadn't tried that before).  Then I selected a new composition, selected a sample file to burn, and clicked [ (/) Burn Composition].  It went exactly the same as my first try; device listed but no speed options, click [Burn] and program exits.

Dual booting Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon and VecorLinux on a Toshiba Satellite.
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?section=1&group=223&product=7
Previous OSs on this machine: WinMe, 98SE, 2K Pro, XP Pro, Mandrake, SuSE, Knoppix
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:28:01 pm »

xfburn is not a dependable application imo. I've had similar problems with it before

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:29:33 pm »

I've never gotten far with Xfburn.  In fact it won't even open unless I open a second instance of it.  The first instance doesn't ever come up.  Then the second instance is useless because the first instance locks up the optical drives and they aren't listed.

Meh, K3b works just fine for me.
kortsen

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 01:35:47 am »

Meh, K3b Windows works just fine for me.

FTFY

Meh, Nero works just fine for me.

You can't get Xfburn to work.  I can't get it to work.  Overthere can't get it to work.  MOE-lnx couldn't get it to work.  And the only answer I found in the forums is to use something else.  If VectorLinux is going to include a light, fast, simple alternative to K3b why not include one that works?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 01:40:00 am by kortsen » Logged

Previous OSs on this machine: WinMe, 98SE, 2K Pro, XP Pro, Mandrake, SuSE, Knoppix
kortsen

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 01:37:53 am »

xfburn is not a dependable application imo. I've had similar problems with it before

"had similar problems"?  Past tense?  What was your solution?

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:48:16 am »

I've seen posts where people were using it and didn't notice anything odd.  I'm suspecting xfburn is picky about hardware configurations as we are using the exact same OS.  Problem is I haven't found a way to debug it since I only get a couple lines of output from the terminal.  I spent the better part of a week pulling my hair out trying to figure out the reason.  Then said screw it and did my burning by command line. 

I have two optical drives.  I'm wondering if that's the deal.  I'm curious if the people who are successful only have one drive?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 06:27:58 am »

"had similar problems"?  Past tense?  What was your solution?
forced to use k3b

kortsen

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 05:39:15 am »

What about Graveman.  I've Googled and found a lot of mentions of it.  It's also on the XFCE wiki as a recommended application.  Anyone know where I can find it?  I found a tgz for Slack 12 but it doesn't work for me.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 05:58:00 am »

I've found graveman to be very unstable as well... K3b just works

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 05:58:55 am »

I recommend we use Grafburn, but it may have an issue with unmounting the optical drive if it is mounted, just like TinyMe.

from TinyMe homepage:
Known issues:
-When burning an ISO, Grafburn does not unmount drive if it is mounted.
http://tinyme.mypclinuxos.com/forums/index.php?topic=1566.0

Here's a couple relevant links to Grafburn:

Nathan F gives permission for porting Grafburn to other distros
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/grafpup-77/grafburn-modifications.-561484/

Thread chronicling entire development of Grafburn
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1634379199&t=14533
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:27:17 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 07:19:43 am »

Okay ... I know nobody asked me to come in here and start mouthing off, but I'm going to anyway.  Before there was k3b, burning a cd in Linux (from a gui) was a nightmare.  There were all kinds of command line programs that worked great, much better than any Windows cd burning software.  In Windows I got buffer underruns all the time, whereas in Linux I never did.  K3b is a great front end for all those command line progs, and in my opinion nothing else graphical in Linux even comes close.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 07:26:50 am »

Okay ... I know nobody asked me to come in here and start mouthing off, but I'm going to anyway.  Before there was k3b, burning a cd in Linux (from a gui) was a nightmare.  There were all kinds of command line programs that worked great, much better than any Windows cd burning software.  In Windows I got buffer underruns all the time, whereas in Linux I never did.  K3b is a great front end for all those command line progs, and in my opinion nothing else graphical in Linux even comes close.
Completely agree

kortsen

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 09:34:17 am »

I just gave X-CD-Roast a test drive.  What a lump of crap compared to K3b.  It looks like K3B is the choice for Linux.  I just hope I'm never in a hurry to burn a CD.

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 04:26:41 pm »

Zenwalk is currently using Brasero. Not sure if it has a lot of deps, but its easy to use and has been reliable for me, other than a complaint about not being able to eject the CD when it completes burning.

So far, no burn failures, and its certainly smaller and quicker than k3b.

paul.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 03:02:28 pm »

I think K3B is excellent and is working well for me. I did have to open the config as root once but when I got that out of the way all went well. I use k3b also on damn small on a p166 with 128 meg ram..it does not do dvd but dsl uses tdk or something like that for dvd..so k3b is worth it's weight. I am wondering if it will work on the vl- lite version on a p166..
cheers

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: