VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: jack audio and ardour  (Read 3417 times)

gitarman

jack audio and ardour
« on: January 15, 2008, 11:17:24 pm »

Hi all,

I followed the steps on Headacher's web site to get Jack/Ardour working on Vector Linux 5.8 for the testing packages of jack and ardour on Vector Linux 5.9 Standard. 

Has anyone done this with success ?  It seems I'm getting stutters in my recordings.  I also notice it during playback - if I  start moving my mouse a lot or open any other apps during playback in Ardour I get more stutters...
This is what I did:
chgrp audio /usr/bin/jackd
adding an extra line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local - modprobe realtime gid=17

Any thoughts on why this is happening.  I've really been enjoying Vector - I switched from Fedora 7, hoping to have a leaner and meaner system - which I have for most intensive purposes.  I'll be quite sad if I can't get the audio working though as that was quite easy in Fedora due to the PlanetCCRMA at home ports... I only got the stuttering happenig in fedora when I tried to use to many plugins...

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
Re: jack audio and ardour
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:44:35 am »

Has anyone done this with success ?
I have to admit I've only tried Ardour for a few minutes. I haven't followed my own HOWTO for a while, perhaps I should do it some time and look for errors / things that may be unclear.
It seems I'm getting stutters in my recordings.  I also notice it during playback - if I  start moving my mouse a lot or open any other apps during playback in Ardour I get more stutters...
How do you start jackd? Are you sure it´s running with realtime priority? Do you get a lot of xruns (I think you do). If you use qjackctl (give it a try if you haven't, it's well worth it) you can try increasing the buffers/period setting. If not, you should be able to start jack from command line like this (where 4 is the number of buffers/period)
Code: [Select]
jackd -R -d alsa -n 4
Some other tweaks you could try is disabling unused services with vasm, or use a lighter window manager.

Hope this helps.
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

gitarman

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:33:56 pm »

hey - thx for the reply - i'm reluctant to believe i could be this much of a cracksmoker, but its possible that i didn't click play in qjackctl...   
I tried jack from cmdline as you suggested and i recorded with no prob... I upped the buffers to 4 in qjackctl and all seems to be rockin.  I am a very happy camper - thx headacher - you are my hero. :)

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 11:29:17 pm »

thx headacher - you are my hero.
Sweet!
* The Headacher whistles a heroic tune and flies on to the next person in need
swooosh!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:16:13 am by The Headacher »
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:24:37 am »

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 08:23:55 am »

broozar

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 01:55:21 pm »

for some reason, i cannot start jack with -R, it produces an error, starting without the realtime option works fine though.

some other questions: sometimes i edit a project in ardour and suddenly the main sound (big play button) stops to work (the track is still transported, but i can hear no sound). however, just selecting the single files (ctrl+rightmousebutton, play) works. any hints?

and i cannot have xmms and ardour playing a sound when both are opened. is this normal behaviour? why do they block each other, as they both rely on alsa (not oss)?

emi

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 09:20:47 pm »

for some reason, i cannot start jack with -R, it produces an error, starting without the realtime option works fine though.

what kernel are you using? have you loaded the realtime module, and configured the group setting properly (http://the.headacher.googlepages.com/jackonvectorlinux)? if not, you can only get realtime privileges if working as root.

If you want some serious realtime capabilities I highly recommend a 2.6.24.x kernel patched with molnar's realtime preemption patch. (You'll either need a little known program called set_rlimits or be good with PAM to get it to work for non-root users, realtime-lsm won't work.) with it I can get 2.9 ms latency with an older budget laptop and a usb soundcard. it's sweet.

some other questions: sometimes i edit a project in ardour and suddenly the main sound (big play button) stops to work (the track is still transported, but i can hear no sound). however, just selecting the single files (ctrl+rightmousebutton, play) works. any hints?

I have no idea, sorry.

and i cannot have xmms and ardour playing a sound when both are opened. is this normal behaviour? why do they block each other, as they both rely on alsa (not oss)?

you should get xmms-jack from the repository. then you can connect xmms to jack as well and play both at the same time.