VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 12:35:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My new project  (Read 1492 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: January 16, 2008, 12:34:27 am »

Ok vector is my new project

I installed Vector again with the intent of solveing some past issues.
The reason I downloaded VL in the first place is that I understand it to be a Canadian distro and the only one. is this true?
I also like fluxbox and most of the included programs.
but like the vl-hot and mounter for xfce..Hmmm

For future referance-specs
p3 600mhz, 512 pc100, agp rage128, crystal 4281 pci, fm8818 33.6 w/rockwell
primary master ide-hd-hda1+hda2 swap 600meg. second master samsung cdr-rw

To work
the first issue was slave drives..I just removed them.

solved? for now

after install open the screensaver and choose only one, as many caused issue,..atunnel is nice but mouse pointer looks like thumbnail of matrix saver, white with black scrolling down..I changed all available vid drivers and several cards and changed mice but nothing..I killed the deamon and closed.why is the mouse visable in the first place when saver is running

kinda solved? for now

the left handed bill style start button...since I can not flip the tray over to right handed and although I can turn off icons and auto hide tray and use right click menu...login fluxbox.

solved.

wmdrawer is available so installed top center.auto hide and automate. perfect
pounded wbar

no volume control..add drawer button to open terminal and run alsa with a voice reminder to use arrow keys to select...a slit mixer would be better if one exists

solved? for now

mounting drives must be done in the terninal and although vlhot auto mounts the thumb I have to open the file manager and find mnt/vlhot open several folders to get there..and umount via terminal ie:"/lib/udev/vl-hot_umount sda" seemed to work but umount /dev/sda did not..I did attempt a unmount button but it did not work a slit mounter or a mount umount via the file manage right click would be nice if possible and vlhot for flux like xfce

kinda solved? for now

dsl had a mounter and mixer in the default slit but have switched to jwm and dispenced with it in flux. the mixer was excellent with mute, volume and button to open mixer gui program. the mounter was not perfect but might be modifiable it had a mount umount via file manager

chestnut dialer must be root..added a drawer button to root chestnut vsuper..when clicked-opens root password dialog, opens chestnut,-click account,-enter isp password, and it dials. Then click browser button and surf. I attempted to make one button that opened the browser and then rooted dialer but the dialer always opened first and was covered by the browser...one may click it back on top via the tray and save a button but it always gives the impression of not working correctly.
If it is the only way I can live with it ...

at least it dials the account from user. solved?

I placed a folder of icons in the share icons dir. to customize drawer buttons..and each plays a sound, ie: thunar root plays "caution, root autorization" while opening the password dialog.

nerdy cool

I placed the "hourly chime-tell the time" script in cron hourly and the sounds folder in usr/share and adjusted the script to account for player and locations. and made executable but it did not run, it will play when executed manually,,Hmm crontab could not be found..

unsolved

The default wallpaper although nice I wanted to change. I found other in usr/share/wallpapers but was unable to get one to stick. I changed the flux start and last wallpaper to the colorado-farm but when flux starts it pops the paper on until the tray loads and reverts to default. I worked at it with no success. a fluxbox menu item for wallpaper would be better. click and stick.

unsolved

downloaded and installed the dictionary and downloaded and installed a dictionary file via the site instruction. and it worked...very nice

added audacity..currently not working.
added acidrip..currently not working...perl issue?
no scale drawing program found?
no xmms alarm plugin or alarm clock?

xfburn has an issue but k3b will be better anyway when solved

xripper worked great. just reinstalled.

Solved

added change directory to Dbutton so xpdf opens to a folder of books for simplicity. click and read.

Solved

all weekend no sleep but looking better. this is a project now.  when all the buttons work I can use it. by then it will naturally be totally obsolete. speaking of obsolete I still have not found another flux that will dial a connection.

this post likely does nothing to inspire support. It was suggested I post one thing at a time.and will. It seems to take years to get up and running that way. it took me a year and a half to finally get dsl setup and running only to realize that all the programs needed updates and dsl has completely changed. when do I get to actually learn the programs and then just use the machine for making daily tasks easier. lol, LOL..
but will do the single post thing and wait a few days to ensure all is considered and tested and thanks..

VECTORING ON

Everything Is Relative
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:50:41 am »

I'm afraid your post makes it somewhat hard to understand what you want, but I will try to address the vl-hot bit.

mounting drives must be done in the terninal and although vlhot auto mounts the thumb I have to open the file manager and find mnt/vlhot open several folders to get there..and umount via terminal ie:"/lib/udev/vl-hot_umount sda" seemed to work but umount /dev/sda did not..I did attempt a unmount button but it did not work a slit mounter or a mount umount via the file manage right click would be nice if possible and vlhot for flux like xfce

kinda solved? for now

If I understand you correctly, you are using fluxbox, not xfce? Well, fluxbox does not do desktop icons by itself, let alone freedesktop.org compatible ones, so there is no easy way for vl-hot to handle this. I am not familiar with fluxbox or wmdrawer, bu you chould try putting an icon for the filemanager opening to /mnt/vl-hot somewhere for easy access. For unmounting, there is a simple command to unmount every vl-hot mounted partition at once: vlh-umount (I just type vlh + tabkey in a terminal, but you could add another icon for it I suppose).

HTH...

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:03:58 am »

Welcome to the forum!

For future referance-specs
p3 600mhz, 512 pc100, agp rage128, crystal 4281 pci, fm8818 33.6 w/rockwell
primary master ide-hd-hda1+hda2 swap 600meg. second master samsung cdr-rw
A handy place to put those is in your signature. That way we don't have to search through your old posts (have you noticed how long this one is? Wink) or ask again.

As for the issues... can't really help with most of 'm. Like you said, posting them as separate issues will work better, if only to keep it slightly more organized.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 01:28:24 am »

Hi Joe1962 and headacher

Thanks for the vlh-umount..will try it

yes, I use fluxbox. point and click computing

sorry and will figure out how to use the forum
and post spec in sig..put here for easier than every post.

The post is just to say I am working hard to get vector functional for me.

intended to post individual questions and find solution as I vector on.

my previous look at vector was hack and smash as I was hopeing to find a distro that just worked for me. I spun several live.It's not happening, so I have a project to work away on.

Bad start again but I will shut it now.

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: