VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 05:57:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to download 4.0 SOHO  (Read 3531 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 05:48:52 pm »

Apparently, there was even a 300 MHz p1 (but not a 433 one): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium#Models .
Since p3 starts at 450 MHz this should be a p2. If you'd like to find out what Linux thinks your cpu is, try "uname -p".

[snip]

DX4 was in the 486 series, wasn't it?
yes it was, and it only went up to 100 MHz. I still have one of those.

According to the chart at Intel's Web site
( http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/quickreffam.htm#pentium )
the plain Pentium went up to 200 MHz and the Pentium MMX went up to 233 MHz. These were desktop/server CPUs. The 300 MHz Pentium was the Pentium MMX Notebook Processor.

The DX4 100 used a 3x multiplier (3x33). I don't know why they called it DX4--marketing? I used an AMD 5x86/133 processor on an upgraded computer for a couple of years, then put it on a computer I gave my cousin. It was a souped-up 486 CPU that used a 2x66 multiplier to get to 133 MHz. Its performance was between a P75 and P90.

Those were the days? Not exactly! But it was very exciting at the time.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 05:59:10 pm »

Sorry we missed your birthday, Joe1962. I hope it was a good one!
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 06:33:24 pm »

Arlener,

You can buy a CD of VectorLinux 5.8 Standard for $2.50 US including shipping from Edmunds Enterprises
( http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/modules/cart/index.php?ba=pdtl&product=217 )
and for $4.99 from CheapBytes
( http://shop.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070011368.html ). These are legal CDs. They are the same as the free version of VL you can download and are burned to a CD. They are a good option for people on dialup. 5.8 Standard is very good and I ran it happily until I started beta testing 5.9 Standard.

I have a 433 Mhz Dell Celeron/MMX, with 127 mg RAM (128 but I think 1 is used by PCI modem card or video card). That's what shows on Norton's Checkit Diagnostics.
I have 40 GB hardisk space with less that 5 Gb used by Windows 98 SE that I am running now. The person I bought it from said it is a Pentium I but the 433 Mhz makes it faster, about Penitum 1.5.

A Celeron is a slightly crippled budget model of the corresponding Pentium. At 433 MHz your Celeron would be in the Pentium II class. It does not perform as well as a Pentium II 433 primarily because the Celeron has less L2 cache. When Celerons first came out, they had *no* L2 cache and performed much worse than a Pentium. Intel came to its senses after the first Celerons were panned so badly and added L2 cache (128K, I think, compared with 512K for Pentiums of the time, but the Celeron cache ran at full clock speed whereas the PII cache ran at half clock speed). The 433 MHz Celeron has 128K L2 cache running at 433 MHz.

I want to install to my harddisk, dual boot, and I don't care about running live CD.

Easily achieved. You'll need some empty space on your hard drive--you'll have to shrink a partition or logical drive if there is no unallocated space. There are free Linux tools to do this without destroying data (QTParted, for example). Or you can use something like Partition Magic or Partition Commander if you have them.

I need to run OpenOffice 2.0 so I am compatible with Word and Excel through email with the rest of the world.

The much lighter weight AbiWord is compatible with MS Word, though I don't know if it does as good a job as OOo. Gnumeric is also lighter than OOo Calc and is compatible with Excel.

I find it a little bit hard to believe that I will have any trouble running OpenOffice under Linux if I'm running Microsoft Office under Windows 98 SE. That's slow but can OpenOffice be worse than that?

It depends on what version of Office you're running. OOo likes RAM and CPU power, but if you can stand the wait while it loads you may be able to tolerate it.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 11:28:15 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 07:46:13 pm »

One of my computers (I have just two Smiley) has a slightly superior hardware than yours. I use Abiword and Gnumeric for general purpose and the compatibility wit MS Office is acceptable. Sometimes the "align" property is wrong but almost every .doc is readable. I have OO in the same system for the special cases when the others fail, and for .pps viewing. The load is slow, as many multiplattform apps. The performance after boot is heavily related to the content of the document. If it has many big pictures or sound files in it, well; I am in hell. For regular documents the performance is ok. Also you can make some improvements reducing the number of possible "undos" and similar. Check the OO options.

About the version, I would recommend the latest 5.9. If you make some work on it, can be very fast and light. Use JWM instead Xfce, keep the services and daemons at minimal and avoid big apps. A few tricks that worked for me are using static ip to avoid dhcpcd and ifplugd, disabling all the services (that computer has no needs of them) and blacklisting modules for hw I dont use (it has an Infrared device I dont use, for example).

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 07:51:24 pm »

Oops, thank you Granny, you're quite right of course. My memory must have been slipping right about the time I posted, lol. It was my birthday and I had drunk a few rums by then... Grin

Ooops, I missed that one. Feliz Cumpleaños José!!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: