VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 05:45:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Toshiba laptop wish list; hibernate, lid switch, CPU frequency.  (Read 4968 times)
kortsen

A true geek dual-boots 2 Linux distros

« on: January 19, 2008, 12:00:08 pm »

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2800-C500 laptop.  There are a couple of things I would like to get working.

1) Lid switch.  When I close the lid there is no effect.  HardInfo shows it as an input device but I have no clue how to configure it.

2) Set CPU speed and LCD brightness.  Sometimes I'll leave my BitTorrent client running overnight.  I would like to turn the CPU down to 1/3 speed and dim the LCD.  Again, all the info for the P III Coppermine 996.99 MHz processor is identified properly in HardInfo.  I took a look at vcpufreq, but it says "cpufreq driver : UNAVAILABLE".

3) I'm just curious about this one.  It's on the bottom of the list because:
     a)  VL cold boots faster than XP recovers from Hibernate
        and
     b) After 2 months of fighting with Kubuntu, the only answer I got was "hibernate doesn't work well in Kubuntu."

I get a message at boot-up "TuxOnIce: Resume= parameter is empty. Hibernating will be disabled."  I started playing around with help from http://www.tuxonice.net/HOWTO-2.html but have made no headway.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:20:15 am by kortsen » Logged

Dual booting Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon and VecorLinux on a Toshiba Satellite.
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?section=1&group=223&product=7
Previous OSs on this machine: WinMe, 98SE, 2K Pro, XP Pro, Mandrake, SuSE, Knoppix
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 12:26:58 pm »

I took a look at vcpufreq, but it says "cpufreq driver : UNAVAILABLE".
You have to load the correct kernel cpufreq module for your hardware. In 5.8, all the modules tried to load on boot (in rc.modules or rc.local, don't quite remember which), as according to the kernel docs, it is safe to do so, only the correct one will actually load. It seems this was left out of 5.9, as I have just discovered. Unfortunately I never saw it coming, as I had only tested on a virtual machine till a couple of days ago.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:22:02 pm »

After readint this post, I wanted to try this on my laptop, and it works great Wink
All I had to do is add a phrase to my lilo.conf.
The kernel is already patched, scripts are in place

Edit your /etc/lilo.conf and find your section for VL
make your append line look like this
Code:
append = "splash=silent resume=/dev/hdxx "
hdaxx = your swap partion (mine is /dev/hda5)
after that, run lilo in the terminal
and reboot
when the machine reboots, simply run
Code:
hibernate
as root in a terminal... and cross your fingers!
you should see your laptop power down
then obviously, you'll want to turn it back on, and watch it resume to the last state.

The only minor annoyance I have with this is that my network interfaces are not coming up after I resume... Still have not found a solution for this...
But this is easily done manually..

I've also managed to get it to hibernate when I close the lid Wink
so I think it's good enough

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 04:33:16 pm »

I had the same problem Moe. No time to look at it atm, but I remember some tuxonice documentation talking about some options in hibernate.conf, here is the link: http://www.tuxonice.net/HOWTO-4.html#ss4.1

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 05:20:40 pm »

I found the solution... check out this howto

http://vectorlinux.com/wiki/doku.php?id=howtos:hibernate

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 06:03:54 pm »

Great Moe, ty.

It didn't work right there for me though. Perhaps I made a mistake, but I had to put my lid rule in /etc/acpi/events. I have no /usr/local/sbin/suspend.sh so I used /usr/sbin/hibernate instead. Also my event name has no period, event=button/lid* worked for me. I got my exact event name with tail -f /var/log/acpid, if you keep that running and close your lid, the acpid messages will be there for you. This is quite useful for debugging. Also another acpid events are logged there, as your power off button, or the thermal alarms. You can make new rules for those events and run your scripts when they are triggered. Would be great to have a script for changing perhaps cpu throttling. The power mode (AC / Battery) is also logged in /var/log/acpid. I dunno if the bright can be commanded through the cli. I will look deeper into this topics if I can make the time, and add them to the wiki.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 06:07:32 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 07:12:24 pm »

2) Set CPU speed and LCD brightness.  Sometimes I'll leave my BitTorrent client running overnight.  I would like to turn the CPU down to 1/3 speed and dim the LCD.  Again, all the info for the P III Coppermine 996.99 MHz processor is identified properly in HardInfo.  I took a look at vcpufreq, but it says "cpufreq driver : UNAVAILABLE".

try this for the vcpufreq issue.....
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3047.0
kortsen

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 11:49:54 pm »

I just took another kick at TuxOnIce and I'm getting closer.  I got a different error.  I'm usin GRUB, not LILO, so the entry is

Code:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.14 root=/dev/hda1 ro splash=silent resume=/dev/hda3

I tried to run HIBERNATE and got this error
vector://home/lars
root:# hibernate
Some modules failed to unload: nvidia
hibernate: Aborting suspend due to errors in ModulesUnloadBlacklist (use --force to override).

So I tried hibernate --force and got this error
root:# hibernate --force
Some modules failed to unload: nvidia
hibernate: Suspend reported the following errors:
 - Suspend was aborted (see dmesg).
 - No swapspace was available. Try swapon?

So I ran dmesg and found this error.

TuxOnIce 3.0-rc2, with support for checksumming, usm, compression, swap storage, file storage, userui.
Initiating a hibernation cycle.
Failed to launch userspace program '/usr/local/sbin/tuxonice_fbsplash': Error -2
Launch userspace program failed.
Freezing processes & syncing filesystems.
Stopping fuse filesystems.
Stopping tasks ... Stopping normal filesystems.
done.
You need some storage available to be able to hibernate.
Restarting all filesystems ...
Restarting tasks ... done.

Previous OSs on this machine: WinMe, 98SE, 2K Pro, XP Pro, Mandrake, SuSE, Knoppix
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 01:31:18 am »

- No swapspace was available. Try swapon?

do you have a swap partition enable? From the msg it seem like asking for the swap partition...
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 04:42:02 am »

Hi korsten,

Try fdisk -l as root to see if you have a swap partition.
Post the output here.

--
Jumalauta!!
kortsen

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 10:02:09 am »

root:# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 20.0 GB, 20003880960 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2432 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1        1033     8297541   83  Linux
/dev/hda2            1034        2369    10731420   83  Linux
/dev/hda3            2370        2432      506047+  82  Linux swap

So I do have a swap partition.  Maybe there's not enough free space for the swap image.  How can I find out how much swap space is free for swapwriter?

kortsen

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 11:18:26 am »

I read that thread and found some answers. But I do not grok.  I did not leave that thread filled with oneness.

I can make vcpufreq work if I "modprobe speedstep-ich" but how do I load the module at boot.

Once vcpufreq is running I can choose 1000MHz and 700MHz.  Where is 333MHz?

kortsen

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 11:27:01 am »

So I do have a swap partition.  Maybe there's not enough free space for the swap image.  How can I find out how much swap space is free for swapwriter?

I just tried gKremml to look at swap usage.  It says 0M - 0M.  That led me to the man pages for swapon, which led me to /etc/fstab, which led me to ADD the swap partition to /etc/fstab, which led to a reboot, which led to gKremml seeing 494k of swap space. 

I tried 'hibernate' again and got the error about nvidia not unloading.  So I tried 'hibernate --force' again, and got exactly the same result as I do in Kubuntu.  Everything rolling along to the point I see something about Atomic Copy on the screen, then the LCD goes "no signal" and the system freezes.  A hard reset with the power button brings up a fresh boot; not a restore from hibernate.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:54:11 am by kortsen » Logged

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 04:34:59 am »

I read that thread and found some answers. But I do not grok.  I did not leave that thread filled with oneness.

I can make vcpufreq work if I "modprobe speedstep-ich" but how do I load the module at boot.

Once vcpufreq is running I can choose 1000MHz and 700MHz.  Where is 333MHz?

add this to your rc.modules

/sbin/modprobe speedstep-ich
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 04:49:54 am »

How much memory do you have? Try the free command at the console. I suspect you need a swap partition as big as your memory to suspend to swap.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: