VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 11:18:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MEDIA folder madness - Strange, spontaneous problem occurred today  (Read 1197 times)
youngtomedison

« on: January 20, 2008, 12:41:53 pm »

I'm using Vectorlinux-5.8-SOHO-FINAL release on a Dell Optiplex 260 with 1 GB of RAM.  My machine has a SONY "superdrive" (reads DVDs, burns CDs) as well as a regular PIONEER DVD burner.

Thus far, my machine has burned CDs and DVDs normally with the Pioneer. I seldom use the superdrive for burning CDs. Rather, I use it to read media.

My MEDIA folder window used to show only 3 icons for CD/DVD drives. Obviously Vector is confused, further evidenced by the fact that while I can mount CD-ROMs with no problem, I cannot mount a DVD-ROM in either drive.

Well, today I booted my machine. As I went to mount a floppy disc (remember those?), I was greeted with the following sight:

I did nothing to my machine. I did not change its configuration files. As I said, I only have two optical drives. I have only one hard drive, partitioned into swap, programs and storage, as is per the default Vector installation method.

I can still read and mount CD-ROMs in the SONY. Haven't yet tried to burn a CD or DVD. K3B starts up and tells me there are no configuration problems in my system.

I'm also wrestling with a printer problem (the printer is winning). I've written about that here.  I believe these two issues might be connected.

Has my system become corrupt to the point where I must re-install VECTOR from scratch? Or is this something I can fix with the appropriate command line? Where would the appropriate error log be located?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 12:46:22 pm by youngtomedison » Logged
youngtomedison

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:17:45 pm »

I burned two CDs using K3B. It worked just fine, without incident.

As I've said, where did those extra icons come from and what do they represent and most important;y, how di I fix whatever's wrong?

youngtomedison

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:49:59 pm »

Has no one here ever experienced this kind of malfunction before?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:57:41 pm »

they are probably extra lines in your /etc/fstab file.
open it as root and comment out the lines to the devices you dont want to see
like /dev/dvdwriter and such
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: