VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Wired networking  (Read 1971 times)

uchihahaha

Wired networking
« on: January 20, 2008, 09:44:54 pm »

before i begin, i want to say that if there were other threads with similar questions to mine, i'm sorry for reposting the same thing, it's just that i couldn't find what i needed through the search function.

okay, so i'm running a VL SOHO 5.8 final on a laptop. everything works beautifully. this laptop will be hard-wired to the internet, connected straight to the modem.
and when a comp is connected straight to the modem, it needs to 'log in' to the isp with a id and a password, right?

i have no idea how to do that with linux. i'm not so experienced..as you can tell. aha

thank you for taking time out to help out a hopeless idiot

merci
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 09:52:48 pm by uchihahaha »

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Wired networking
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:02:36 am »

I think that depends on which protocol your isp is using. Perhaps pppoe? If it does, try as root in a console pppoe-setup, ask all the answers and then try pppoe-start.
My isp uses pppoe but I setup my modem / router to dial and login (or at least that did one or two times, when I turned it on and after a blackout :))
Let us now how it goes and post back any error message you could get.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

easuter

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:07:40 am »

Go to the "Internet" section of the launch menu and chose "Internet Dial-up Tool (KPPP)".
Click on the "Configure" button to setup your connection.

Hope that helps  :)

EDIT: rbistolfi beat me to it :D

uchihahaha

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:00:50 am »

easuter, i tried the KPPP thing first. it looked promising, but when i configured stuff the best to my knowledge and clicked on Connect, it said some crap about "could not find modem".

then i tried the pppoe-setup in console, answered some crap, and did pppoe-start. voila! it works.

uh, one more question. is there a way i can set things so that i don't have to start a console on every bootup and do pppoe-setup? so that it just connected on boot.

thanks again

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:35:20 am »

Add the commands needed to bring the connection up at the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, you dont need to do pppoe-setup anymore, just pppoe-start.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!