VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 11:33:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wired networking  (Read 1726 times)
uchihahaha

« on: January 20, 2008, 09:44:54 pm »

before i begin, i want to say that if there were other threads with similar questions to mine, i'm sorry for reposting the same thing, it's just that i couldn't find what i needed through the search function.

okay, so i'm running a VL SOHO 5.8 final on a laptop. everything works beautifully. this laptop will be hard-wired to the internet, connected straight to the modem.
and when a comp is connected straight to the modem, it needs to 'log in' to the isp with a id and a password, right?

i have no idea how to do that with linux. i'm not so experienced..as you can tell. aha

thank you for taking time out to help out a hopeless idiot

merci
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 09:52:48 pm by uchihahaha » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:02:36 am »

I think that depends on which protocol your isp is using. Perhaps pppoe? If it does, try as root in a console pppoe-setup, ask all the answers and then try pppoe-start.
My isp uses pppoe but I setup my modem / router to dial and login (or at least that did one or two times, when I turned it on and after a blackout Smiley)
Let us now how it goes and post back any error message you could get.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:07:40 am »

Go to the "Internet" section of the launch menu and chose "Internet Dial-up Tool (KPPP)".
Click on the "Configure" button to setup your connection.

Hope that helps  Smiley

EDIT: rbistolfi beat me to it Cheesy

uchihahaha

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:00:50 am »

easuter, i tried the KPPP thing first. it looked promising, but when i configured stuff the best to my knowledge and clicked on Connect, it said some crap about "could not find modem".

then i tried the pppoe-setup in console, answered some crap, and did pppoe-start. voila! it works.

uh, one more question. is there a way i can set things so that i don't have to start a console on every bootup and do pppoe-setup? so that it just connected on boot.

thanks again
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:35:20 am »

Add the commands needed to bring the connection up at the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, you dont need to do pppoe-setup anymore, just pppoe-start.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: