VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 08:47:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: software for kids  (Read 2113 times)
bujums

« on: January 24, 2008, 11:51:07 am »

Do any of you know if I can get lots of educational software for kids grade school to high school that will run on Vector? I have been trying to set up an old computer for a couple of kids.  I am using Xubuntu on it but it is running very slow I like that I can get lots of sofware for it but it has got to go.  I have tried vector on my laptop and want to give it a try but I really need some cool software Choices.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:01:53 pm »

It was my mission a few months back to pull in all the open source kids stuff I could to package.  For my kids and others.  But that was for VL 5.8.  But then packaging for 5.9 was kicking into high gear.  I did package a few things for 5.9 as some of the older scripts didn't need much work to get going for 5.9.  The others I had to put aside until I got more time.  Seems I still don't have enough time these days, and there are other VL related distractions as well.

If you enable the "testing" repo you will find Tuxpaint and a few others.  In 5.8 and 5.9.   I do plan to resume my mission in the near future.  I was speaking with one of the dev's the other day in IRC about me possibly trying to make a VL-Jr addition completely customized for kids with kid friendly theming and apps.  Of course a way for parents to lock or unlock doo-dads to protect them.

Sounds fun...  but don't know how I'll pull it off. Smiley
bujums

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:13:02 pm »

Thank for the info, I will try to "test" thing.  It would be a great idea to do a kid friendly dis. I think lots of people have old computers around and would rather use it for the kids than buy another computer...

another question... I should be able to just rumage around the net and download some games and other kid friendly software, right?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:34:36 pm by bujums » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 01:31:17 pm »

You can install software in many ways. Usually the packages from http://www.slacky.eu works fine in VL.
Also there is some educational apps in the repo already,  you can check childsplay, the kdeedu package contains some apps, lletters, and itestserver and itestclient.
My little cousin finds Frozen Bubble, Mega Mario and Ppracer pretty fun. They are installed by default in VL.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
bujums

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:36:01 pm »

Thanks I will check those out... I happend to really like frozen bubbles myself!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: