VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 09:58:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New user thoughts  (Read 1478 times)
carltonh

« on: January 21, 2008, 09:38:52 pm »

Greetings from a basic skill level Linux user.  I've been using Debian type distros like Linux Mint for a year, but am new to Slackware distros, Vector 5.9 is my first try with it, although I'm trying Zenwalk at the same time.

There's a lot to like, and he installer wasn't too bad.  However, I use the US Dvorak keyboard layout variant and Zenwalk lets me select this in the install, which is nice because in Vector and many distros, I have to change the keyboard variant in XFCE, KDE, or GNOME, but this only works within my profile, and not while logging on, and not when I go to init 3.

Wasn't the Nvidia driver included in the install?  I looked a little, but didn't find it before I decided just to download the driver from Nvidia's website, since I knew that would be the current 169.07 one and was so easy to get and install.

Also, I haven't figured out auto-mounting of my many Linux partitions within Vector or Zenwalk.  The Ubuntu ones just always did this for me.  I tried to copy the formatting from my fstab file within Elive to both Zenwalk and Vector, but that didn't work.  I was expecting to see them under the /mnt directory after rebooting, but I guess Slackware is just different.  There are lots of good ways to mount that are fine for me like Puppy's way that doesn't automount but shows you everything that could be mounted with one click, or Ubuntu/Mint's automounting.  Unless there's already a really quick way I haven't found, maybe something like this could be added for the next release.

Other than that, amazing speed, excellent panel, menu organization, best default desktop background, Gslapt is very comfortable coming from Synaptic and apt-get.  (Zenwalk's netpkg seems great too.)  And excellent fonts.  Bad fonts were a major dislike in Zenwalk 4.8 and some distros.  I'm glad Vector (and Zen 5.0) have great fonts

Here's another question, is Vector 5.9 compatible with the Wine downloads linked from the Wine download page for Slackware?  I ask because I'm always wanting to try the latest Wine ASAP.  I currently have 0.9.52 from the Vector testing repository.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:38:32 pm »

Welcome!
Wasn't the Nvidia driver included in the install?
Yes.
Also, I haven't figured out auto-mounting of my many Linux partitions within Vector...
Menu, System, VASM, SUPER, FILESYSTEM, MOUNT
is Vector 5.9 compatible with the Wine downloads linked from the Wine download page for Slackware?
Most Slack packages work under VL, but they don't have dependancy checking, nor do they usually have a .desktop file, so your newly installed package probably won't give you a menu item in either xfce or KDE.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 04:05:13 am »

Wasn't the Nvidia driver included in the install?  I looked a little, but didn't find it before I decided just to download the driver from Nvidia's website, since I knew that would be the current 169.07 one and was so easy to get and install.

It is included in the 5.9 release. To find the vector version you are using you can do cat /etc/vector-version

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:16:06 pm »

Wow ... you've tried a lot of Linux distros.  I think that's a good thing, since there's such variety out there and it can take a while to find the one that's the best fit for you.

Good luck with everything.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: