VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 07:33:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding a router  (Read 2736 times)
TC

« on: January 22, 2008, 09:58:28 am »

Hey all,

I am trying to install the software for a LINKSYS 2.4 GHz Router Model Number WRT54G to my computer.  I am running VL 5.8, when I start the install I cannot get past the first step when it is checking for a connection.  I have a connection because I can get onto the internet, but the install program cannot find the connection.  Any suggestions as to what I can do to help the installation along?  Thank you, TC.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:46:02 am »

I use a Linksys WRT54GS (same basic router with speedboost "technology").  Regardless, there is no software that needs to be installed in order to use the router.  Simply plug it in, connect your computer to it via ethernet with dhcp enabled, open a browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1, enter 'admin' username and default password 'admin' to enter router setup. First thing to do is change the default password, and then finish configuring the router for you network.

Hope this helps.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:46:24 am »

You really don't need any software for this.

Assuming default settings for this device: Try opening your web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
You should get a login screen. Leave the username empty and enter "admin" in the password field. This should give you access to the administration interface. First thing you should do is assign a new password.

Edit: LOL! 22 seconds late.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 10:49:39 am »

The best part is that we said almost the exact same thing - LOL! Grin
TC should feel good about that!
TC

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 11:02:26 am »

One problem I am having is when I connect my router to the internet then my computer to the router my computer continually beeps and I have no connection.  What should I do to fix this problem?  Thank you, TC.
chrisjmcc

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 11:20:57 am »

Are you connected thru wireless? If yes, try connecting a cable and do as the other posts said. As I have the same router and that is what I ended up doing to get it to work.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:25:50 am »

One problem I am having is when I connect my router to the internet then my computer to the router my computer continually beeps and I have no connection. 
Is that because you are swapping computers into the router? If so, some routers require a reset (unplug  them and replug them in again) if you are using the same port for different MAC addresses (ie different network cards). This also depends sometimes on the ISP you are using.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 12:04:26 pm »

As has been suggested, start by using a wired connection.  Once you get the router configured the way you want it you can move on to wireless - if that's what you're after.

Unplug power from your router.  Disconnect all ethernet cables from it.  Wait 1 minute.

Plug the power into your router and wait 20 seconds.

Plug the ethernet cable from your computer into the router in one of the 4 ports that are touching each other.  In other words, do not plug your computer into the 1 port that is slightly separate from the others (this is for the Internet).

Does your computer begin beeping at this point?

If not, can you (using a browser, ie. firefox) navigate to 192.168.1.1?  You should get a popup window asking for username and password within a couple seconds.

If it does, do you know if you have dhcpd enabled in VL?  This will likely need to be enabled to connect to your router since the router has dhcp enabled by default.  You can change this later if you want.

What's your status up to this point?  Constant beeping?  Access to 192.168.1.1? Do the router lights indicate a connected port?  As root, what is the output of 'ifconfig -a'?  If you see an eth# (e.g. eth0) device does it show an 'inet addr'? If so, what is it - something like 192.168.1.xxx?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 12:09:39 pm by newtor » Logged
TC

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 01:31:41 pm »

Yes, after unplugging waiting and plugging the wires back into the router my computer continues to beep with no internet connection, TC.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 02:30:44 pm »

Make sure your system lists an active network device:
as root, ifconfig -a
Please list the devices here and their 'inet addr' if any.  The list should be something like: lo, eth0, (maybe) eth1, (maybe) wlan0, (maybe) ath0, etc

If you have any wireless cards in your system also issue:
as root, iwconfig
Please list which devices have wireless extensions.

Make sure your network card is up: as root, ifconfig eth0 up

The next step is to make sure you have the dhcp daemon running.  I don't use dhcp so I'm not totally familiar with this step.  Nightflier has posted about it in the past and may be able to provide more help.  You can also review this thread for more details: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5008.0

Stop any dhcp daemons that are running: as root, dhcpcd -k eth0
Restart the dhcp daemon for your device: as root, dhcpcd eth0

At this point, try pinging the router: as root, ping 192.168.1.1 and hit Ctrl-C to cancel the pinging.  You should see successful attempts.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 07:23:07 pm »

I don't understand why the computer is beeping. Is VL loaded, or is it stuck somewhere in the boot process?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 09:21:02 pm »

The only time my computer actually "beep" is when I reboot my router.  IIRC, it beeps once going down and once coming up.  This probably doesn't help much with TC's beeping issues.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 09:23:46 pm »

have you setup your router for internet connection?
for me I configure it using PPPoE for ADSL connection. I use a linksys router but all router should have almost same configuration.....it all depend on your ISP provider on how the connection setting go.....

you can set it up either use DHCP or static IP......

if for DHCP, setup your NIC using VASM for DHCP connection or try this

Stop any dhcp daemons that are running: as root, dhcpcd -k eth0
Restart the dhcp daemon for your device: as root, dhcpcd eth0

for static IP, use VASM to set static IP as root (same IP range with your router).......if your router is 192.168.1.1 then just set your VL to 192.168.1.2, subnetmask is same with your router setting
key in the gateway IP same as your router IP.........then try to ping 192.168.1.1 to make sure you and your router is network connected....

all is assume your NIC is working fine in VL......
to double check VL is detecting your NIC..........do below as root in VL
ifconfig -> if NIC is detected there should have some entry like ethx
lspci -> check whether VL can detect all the hardware in your PC/laptop
lsmod - to check what modules (equal to drivers for windows) loaded in VL/Linux

if you are not sure just post all the output to us....

if you are not sure what I am talking about and are new to Linux/VL and you are more familiar to windows based OS, find any Windows OS and plug in the router (after you do what ADSL configuration on that router). Use DHCP/Static to detect the router...

at the end, I am assume you are using ADSL connection...right?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:29:22 pm by hata_ph » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: