VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 11:39:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally got around to trying Vector!  (Read 930 times)
mt_deb

« on: January 30, 2008, 06:57:10 pm »

Hi all,
I'm Deb, yesterday I decided to give 5.9 a whirl. I have to say you have done a fantastic job. I have used KDE for a long time and I am really enjoying XFCE and your distro. Fast fast fast! The only thing I am stupmed on and I have spent most of the day searching the forum and google is that I can't get the firewall working ( when I say working I mean stealth) I use shieldsup to test. Maybe stealth is expecting too much? I know I can get it with Guarddog or Firestarter but for the life of me I can not get either of those installed. Now I am sure it is something simple so don't laugh K? Here is what happens. I download the tar.gz and go to vpackager all is good till the end and I get this error ( I get it if I try to install through slap-get also)

"checking for mcopidl... not found
configure: error: The important program mcopidl was not found!
Please check whether you installed aRts correctly or use
--without-arts to compile without aRts support (this will remove functionality).

Result: FAILED"

So I did a search on mcopidl and looks like this is a KDE thing , I tried doing a search for aRts in gslapt but it did not come up. I guess I still have a bunch to learn.  I have used Debian distros for several years now. But I do love learning new things ( can't learn how to fix  it if I don't break it  Grin) Could someone maybe point me in the right direction ? I am going to look for a FAQ and or Wiki now just to see what else I can learn about the package manager etc etc.

Thank you so much for any help or tips you can give.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 04:47:33 am »

Hi Deb, there is an arts package in the /testing repo. To enable the repo you open gslapt, go to edit, preferences, sources, and then check the box of the testing repo. then click in the update button and arts should be there now.
Or if you want to follow the configure script advice (I would), in vpackager, select the tar.gz file and in the "configure options" text box append "--without-arts". You should be fine from here. The configure script will keep checking for system requeriments. Post back here if you find any errors.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
mt_deb

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:09:19 am »

Thank you SO much! I will give that a try and I will let you know how it goes.
Gotta run to the store first though ( darn domestic crap  Grin )
mt_deb

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 12:01:17 pm »

Worked!!  Grin Grin

I used your first suggestion of adding the testing repo and installed aRts
then I was able to do it via the terminal with ./configure, make and then make install.
I am now "stealth" per shieldsup

Thank you again for your help
now to learn all the other ins and outs of Vector (too fun)

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 12:46:16 pm »

Glad you got it working, welcome to VL then, it is really fun Smiley

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: