VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 10:04:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Here I am:)  (Read 2245 times)
kukibl
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:26:19 am »

Vector was my second distribution when I was starting with Linux 5 years ago. I can't even remember version number... Grin

After using it for 5-6 months I've converted to Slackware and later on ArchLinux (last 6 months), until recently. I've downloaded both 5.8 SOHO and 5.9 Standard; tested both (dual boot with Arch) and decided to convert to Vector last night. Grin

I really like what this distribution has become. I really appreciate all these inovations (compression, vpackager, cpufreq utility, cruxports4slack) and relaxed, friendly approach to end user. I hope you understood what I wanted to say. Wink

I am absolutely delighted with Vector and it is my distribution of choice in years to come. It has combination that I was looking for long time - real Slackware (simple, fast) + good choice of software + a little bit of automatation.

Great work VL team! Smiley
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 03:02:49 pm »

It's exactly those "innovations" that I think make Vector special (of course, besides speed, community, etc..)
Strange that they don't get mentioned much in reviews.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 08:32:27 am »

kukibl,

Welcome back to Vector Linux!  I'm not a long-time Vectorite, but I absolutely love this distribution.  The community is one of the things that make it great, rather than just really good.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
kukibl
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:03:42 pm »

Thank you, tomh38! Smiley

Yeah, I forgot to mention community... Good community is probably one of the most important things for any distribution.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:05:43 pm by kukibl » Logged
Greythanis

the ace of spades

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:56:02 pm »

well it's good to have you kukibl.  Wink

It's exactly those "innovations" that I think make Vector special (of course, besides speed, community, etc..)
Strange that they don't get mentioned much in reviews.

to my knowledge it is mentioned a bit. It's only through hunting through distro reviews i decided on vl.
Still, i know what you mean. it's widely understated.

Quick question: How did this community become so good?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 02:37:31 pm »

I've been here for several years and the community has always been good. I think the No-RTFM rule has a lot to do with it. That means we're not supposed to answer questions by telling someone to "RTFM" with an air of disdain for the newbieness of the questioner. Once you find out that the atmosphere stresses niceness and helpfulness, new members feel free to ask questions and in time they are able to answer questions themselves.

We are also beyond fortunate to have members who are so knowledgeable and willing to share what they know.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 06:38:44 pm »

I've been here for several years and the community has always been good. I think the No-RTFM rule has a lot to do with it. That means we're not supposed to answer questions by telling someone to "RTFM" with an air of disdain for the newbieness of the questioner. Once you find out that the atmosphere stresses niceness and helpfulness, new members feel free to ask questions and in time they are able to answer questions themselves.

We are also beyond fortunate to have members who are so knowledgeable and willing to share what they know.
--GrannyGeek

RTFM...  I had to look it up Cheesy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 12:51:29 pm »

RTFM...  I had to look it up Cheesy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM
LOL, so you basically RTFMed "RTFM"?... Cheesy

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: