VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 03:10:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Actualizacion de KDE  (Read 2158 times)
Techunas

« on: January 26, 2008, 09:02:51 am »

I am using Soho final 5.8, which brings default KDE 3.5.6, the question is how the upgrade version, or if there Update to KDE 4.0

Gracias beforehand.  Grin

Linux es mi copiloto
VectorLinux 5.8 Soho Final
Linuxeando
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:27:51 am »

There are no KDE 4 packages for VL 5.8 . If you want to install it, I'm afraid you'll have to build it from souce if you want it real bad.

There are KDE 4 packages for VL 5.9, but they are still very experimental. I have tried them, but I really dislike kde4, even though I love kde 3.x.
KDE4 doesn't seem half as functional as KDE 3.5.x. However, it uses some 100 MB of memory more.

If you're going to try KDE 4, I would suggest keeping 3.x around.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:50:12 am »

Have to agree with The Headacher on this one (not that I don't usually).  I have both KDE 4.0 and KDE 3.5.8 on my system.  I'm not a big KDE user, but if I had to choose, it would definitely be 3.5.x.

Right now 4.0 is sort of the "Vista" of *nix desktop environments, i.e. lots of promises and not much to show for it except it needs more resources than its predecessor.  Having said that, it is a .0 release, and we probably won't have to wait 5 years for 4.1.  The next release will probably be more stable, more fine tuned, and have a lot of of the customization options put back in.  Probably.  We'll see.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Techunas

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:02:32 pm »

Okay, grateful for the clarifications, definitely should be arming of patience, and hope that the packages are mature enough to use without conflictos.

Saludos    Cheesy

Linux es mi copiloto
VectorLinux 5.8 Soho Final
Linuxeando
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: