VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 03:23:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Any ASUS Eee PC owners out there?  (Read 7706 times)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« on: January 26, 2008, 01:49:45 pm »

Does anybody here own the ASUS Eee PC?  If so, what do you think of it?  Have you gotten Vector Linux running on it?  "Enquiring minds" and all that...

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:10:57 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't have an Eee PC (it's not so low priced after all).  I wonder if its keyboard is really usable for long coding sessions, or is it too small?

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 02:30:03 pm »

Of course, the idea of a low cost portable computer is appealing. As kidd pointed, is not as cheap as announced once.
Is not for coders, you will hate the keyboard, kidd Wink
I could love to have one, but not for long coding sessions, we could enjoy it only as a portable device, multimedia stuff, internet and such.
Probably vl will not be installable right there, I suspect you have to build a ROM image or something, I am just thinking at loud, but I guess the OS is not installed in the flash storage device, which is intended for personal data. The device must have a ROM for the OS as the pda style.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:44:43 pm »

Of course, the idea of a low cost portable computer is appealing. As kidd pointed, is not as cheap as announced once.
Is not for coders, you will hate the keyboard, kidd Wink
I could love to have one, but not for long coding sessions, we could enjoy it only as a portable device, multimedia stuff, internet and such.
Probably vl will not be installable right there, I suspect you have to build a ROM image or something, I am just thinking at loud, but I guess the OS is not installed in the flash storage device, which is intended for personal data. The device must have a ROM for the OS as the pda style.

I'm not sure you're correct about the OS being in ROM.  A lot of distros (PCLinuxOS, ZenWalk, etc...) are building Eee PC versions.  I believe there are some funky driver issues, though.  It is cheap when compared to a Toshiba Libretto U205, for example.

The keyboard issue:  I have a Toshiba Libretto SS1010 which is a little smaller than the Eee PC and has a Kanji/English keyboard to boot.  I'm used to it and I don't mind it but I cannot touch type on it very well.  I do use it for a lot of things still but for a long coding or writing stint I often attach an external keyboard.  I love the size and the weight of thing and an Eee would be quite the upgrade provided I can use whatever distro I want.

I need to do some reading on the various Eee wikis and such... I just hoped someone here had played with one and even Vectorized one Smiley  VL-Light sounds like an excellent candidate OS.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 02:53:28 pm »

Have you gotten Vector Linux running on it? 
No but there is a really good Slackware thread at the Eee user forums:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2640
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/slackware

those might be a good start...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:03:54 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 03:58:27 pm »

Have you gotten Vector Linux running on it? 
No but there is a really good Slackware thread at the Eee user forums:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2640
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/slackware

those might be a good start...

Yes, indeed.  If I can get the vinstall-iso script to run from a bootable usb stick it shouldn't be too hard to install and configure VL.  Very cool.

The thing I still haven't heard are impressions of anyone who actually bought one of these on here...  The Eee PC forum is a little, well.... biased.

F

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 04:15:22 pm »

Oh those are great news. I have a pda and was pretty hard to install Linux on it. Surely the vl scripts will work. And there is the new install script for flash drives option too.
Ohh, dmiller wrote a step by step install instruction, he booted from a pendrive.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:19:03 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 01:03:37 am »

Not usually one to practice thread necromancy (the real deal we shall not discuss Cheesy) but, having read my usual periodical, and seen its seal of approval, I plan to count myself among the owners of an Asus Eee sometime soon.

I mean, for crying out loud, a PC GAMING mag thought it was awesome.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 05:32:36 am »

just saw this machine in 1 of my local computer shop in Malaysia.....
it really look very nice..small and compact......
but the LCD screen do look really small when you look at it.....haha
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:39:55 am »

small and compact......
I like my old Compaq Armada m300, but it's too small for comfort. I can't imagine using something even smaller every day. Small isn't all that great IMO.

Also, the disk space is smaller than I have in even my oldest laptop (a 333 MHz beast), and the resolution is lower too. IMO a second hand laptop is much more value for the same amount of money.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 10:41:02 am »

Amen to that The Headacher Smiley
I'm certain I'm much happier with my newly aquired "second hand" laptop then the Eee.  Not saying the Eee doesn't seem cool, just not practical. 
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 01:29:35 pm »

I think for a hard / serious / professional user the Eee is just a nice toy. I really wouldn't  like to carry one of those big laptops that are very common today, so  the Eee looks cool as an internet / multimedia portable device. Also if you work with networks and you have to run scripts, audit, and such, a small portable device is nice. I don't see it as an equivalent of a Laptop, but as a replacement for handhelds, perhaps ipod, sub-notebooks or a portable multimedia station. But doing something like writing code, image editing or any more-than-two-hours thing, no no.
My friend John gave me an Omnibook 900, it is very light and small, I just love it. It is almost the half of the size of my sister's new Aspire. The keyboard is very nice and smooth also, so I can work with it without problems.

--
Jumalauta!!
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

Yes, those are my thoughts - it will not replace any laptop I have (or will get) but instead will be more like an oversized PDA.  Which I'm fine with.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 04:59:57 pm »

I really wouldn't  like to carry one of those big laptops that are very common today, so  the Eee looks cool as an internet / multimedia portable device. Also if you work with networks and you have to run scripts, audit, and such, a small portable device is nice.

It sure look cool when showing off among the friends or in front off the crowd..... Smiley
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 08:20:33 pm »

I've had several iterations of the Toshiba Libretto which are similar in size or slight smaller than an Asus Eee PC.   I still have two Libretto SS1010s, P233/266, 64/96MB of RAM, 2.1GB HDD.  They're still useful.  The Eee seems like a great replacement to me.  I think that, provided you have good eyesight you'd be amazed at what you can do with units this small despite the itty bitty screen and keyboard.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: