VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 10:06:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dialup  (Read 4751 times)
addr

« on: January 26, 2008, 02:02:16 pm »

I have been trying for two hours to get a dialup connection. I have searched forum, FAQ and can't do it.
Chestnut refuses my phone number...well if somebody would point me to instructions or give me a hint I would be grateful because I sure can't try out the distro like this.
All info was entered at install and again in Chestnut and system config (forget the name, obviously I am using another ditstro to write this.) I can set up KPPP or Gnome-ppp blindfolded so I am missing something basic here.
One thing...during install I had a hang at...forget the exact name but something like...Setting up ttys0...which is relevant if it didn't get done. Install disk was good.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:51:26 pm »

I suspect you did not enable the serial port during install. You can do so now by going to Menu, System, VASM, SUPER, SERVICE, HWSET and enable serial.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
addr

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 02:01:57 pm »

Thanks.

I have managed to connect as root now but not as user. (Failed to open ttys0:Permission denied).

How can I give user permissions for this?

Wvdial requires that users be in 'dialout' and 'uucp' but I don't know if Chestnut is a frontend for wvdial or not and can't find find anywhere to modify users and groups.

Sorry to be so helpless with this.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 03:35:12 pm »

You may not be a member of the "tty" group. In a terminal type "groups" -what output do you get?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
addr

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:36:32 pm »

No I'm not a member. Here's the output of "groups"...

sys adm lp wheel floppy audio video cdrom games scanner users
addr

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 11:12:54 am »

I have made myself a member of tty group, however Chestnut still gives me 'Unable to open ttyS0: Permission denied'
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 12:03:24 pm »

what is the output of ls -l /dev/ttyS0?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
addr

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 02:03:44 pm »

'Cannot access ttyS0: no such file or directory.'
At the start of the thread I said the install had hung at 'Setting up ttyS0'. I re-downloaded, re-burned (x4) and the md5 checked at every stage, as it did the first time but it still hung at that point.
I guess this is the problem.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 02:42:59 pm »

But if you can connect as root that doesn't make sense, that is very weird. Are you sure you typed it correctly?. Check the root Chestnut settings, what says in "Device"? How is your modem connected to your computer?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 02:45:20 pm »

Oh, I forgot, did you enable the serial port after reinstall?

--
Jumalauta!!
addr

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 03:00:11 pm »

How?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 03:10:38 pm »

go to vasmCC, click Hardware, Hardware Set, check the serial button.

--
Jumalauta!!
addr

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 04:38:19 pm »

Oh yeah, I did that at the start.

I think it has to be something to do with the install hang at 'Setting up ttyS0'.

For info, I have set up Slackware and Slamd64 and had no issue with dialup
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 04:43:04 pm by addr » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: