VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 11:48:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No upgrade even after new installation  (Read 1731 times)
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« on: January 27, 2008, 12:25:56 am »

Hi,

I'm new to Linux. I've installed VectorLinux Gold 5.8 and am trying to use SeaMonkey as it also has a mail client. SeaMonkey homepage complains that  I'm using (1.0.6) version. I've downloaded latest (1.1.7), installed it and after a system restart, the SeaMonkey homepage still complains that I'm using  (1.0.6).

Any help? Thanks in advance.

FYI:: I've just proceeded with all 'next' buttons during installation and did not change any installation locations. The suite must be installed in its default, but still the same complain.

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
kukibl
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 01:31:06 am »

How did you installed new SeaMonkey? I guess you downloaded it from SeaMonkey's website.

Use slapt-get/gslapt and testing/5.9 packages repo to upgrade your SeaMonkey.

Btw, you don't have to restart system at all everytime you install/upgrade software. Wink
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:46:37 am by kukibl » Logged
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 02:59:04 am »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your time.

I'm using  GSlapt package manager to install packages. I've read through the whole GSlapt online documentation, and learnt that I should not use all available sources for upgrades. So, I'm using only the sources which were marked by default.

viz.

1) http://ftp://ftp.ousosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinuxe5.8/packages/
2) http://ftp://ftp.ousosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinuxe5.8/extra/

These give me 1.0.6 as the latest SeaMonkey. That is why I downloaded manually and installed it. I tried [Help]->[about SeaMonkey]  menu of the current installation, even that says that the SeaMonkey running is 1.0.6. Where is 1.1.7 that I've installed?

One more point is that, I thought of having a clean install, and un installed SeaMonkey from the GSlapt package manager, and tried to install 1.1.7 again. The installation says that some shared .so file is missing and the installation stops. I again installed 1.0.6 from GSlapt package manager, and tried 1.1.7 again. It has installed, but still the SeaMonkey home page again complains that the version is 1.0.6. Restarting the system was just to try my luck.  Smiley

Any help?
Thanks in advance.
Sivatheja.

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 03:43:33 am »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your time.

I'm using  GSlapt package manager to install packages. I've read through the whole GSlapt online documentation, and learnt that I should not use all available sources for upgrades. So, I'm using only the sources which were marked by default.

viz.

1) http://ftp://ftp.ousosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinuxe5.8/packages/
2) http://ftp://ftp.ousosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinuxe5.8/extra/

These give me 1.0.6 as the latest SeaMonkey. That is why I downloaded manually and installed it. I tried [Help]->[about SeaMonkey]  menu of the current installation, even that says that the SeaMonkey running is 1.0.6. Where is 1.1.7 that I've installed?

One more point is that, I thought of having a clean install, and un installed SeaMonkey from the GSlapt package manager, and tried to install 1.1.7 again. The installation says that some shared .so file is missing and the installation stops. I again installed 1.0.6 from GSlapt package manager, and tried 1.1.7 again. It has installed, but still the SeaMonkey home page again complains that the version is 1.0.6. Restarting the system was just to try my luck.  Smiley

Any help?
Thanks in advance.
Sivatheja.

One catch!

1.0.7 is in /usr/local/SeaMonkey, When this is invoked I'm getting 1.1.7 only! I think Linux is invoking 1.0.6 as both are installed in different locations. Moreover 1.1.7 is manual installation and may be Linux is not knowing its existance.

So how to remove 1.0.6 and say Linux about 1.1.7?

Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:05:45 am »

I've un installed 1.0.6 that I find in GSlapt Package Manager, and said the 1.1.7 in 'preferred applications'. I have a doubt, then what for is 'GSlapt Package Manager'? Is it not analogous to add remove programs in Windows?

Would there be any problem while upgrading SeaMonkey in future?

Thanks in advance.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 07:11:08 am »

The latest and greatest Seamonkey (and many other packages for that matter) are located in the testing repo's.

You are correct, enabling all available sources isn't needed.  In fact it gets very messy and slow in a hurry.  But what that means is there are scores of sources listed that are available to you, but you only need to enable the ones that work best for you.  Some work better then others because they may be closer to your location.

You will see that repos are repeated over and over, but with different URL beginnings.  The different servers are doing a pretty good job of keeping in sync with the master server, so they offer the same packages.

All of our packages start off thier lives in our "testing" repo.  Then once they have a proven record of working properly they are then moved to the main repo's.  Generally using packages out of the testing repo is fine, only a small percentage of them ever have any problems.  This repo is not enabled by default.

To enable this repo via Glsapt:

With Gslapt running, click "edit" then "preferences". A new window will pop up. Then click the "sources" tab at the top. You will then be presented with a long list of available repo's.  The ones with the blue square to the left of them are currently enabled.  Now since I don't have a fresh install in front of me, I can't remember if the "testing" repo is there already unmarked.  Scroll down and see if you can find it.  If you can't find it, you can easily add it yourself.

At the bottom of the same window you will see a text input box labeled "Source =". Copy and paste, or type this URL in the box.
http://ftp://ftp.ousosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinuxe5.9/testing/
Then click the "Add+" button to the right of it. And then click "OK".  As the window closes a pop up says something about the sources have changed, and if you would like to update.  Agree to it and then Gslapt will read all the information from the repo servers that contains all the information to the packages that are available to you.

Gslapt will return to it's main window with a refreshed list of packages.  Then simply search for Seamonkey and all available matches will be shown. Then just click the square to the left of the package you would like to install, and select install or update from the menu that appears.  You may then select other interesting packages at this time if you wish.  When you are satisfied, click the button that says "execute" and then a new window will show you what packages will be installed.  Just agree and your on your way.
It's actually much easier then what I have explained.  I'm just hoping to point you in the right direction.

One thing to keep in mind.  Whenever you see that we have new packages announced in the forums, you need to click the update button to get your sources current.  Gslapt will have no idea they are there until you do so.

Good luck, and enjoy the new packages that you will have available.
Lee

[Disclaimer]
The testing link may not be the best for you because of your location. The server is located in Oregon (USA).  But it is the master server and will get the job done.
Oh yeah....  I haven't had my fill of coffee yet this morning, and my kids are driving me nuts already.  So you can't trust a single thing I've typed.  Cheesy
[/Disclaimer]
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 08:04:16 am »

Hi exeterdad,

Thanks a million for the repo and the details, but still one question is unanswered, GSlapt package manager still doesnt know about the (manual installed) 1.1.7 SeaMonkey. So is it the case that GSlapt package manager is buggy, or is it that SeaMonkey is buggy?

Thanks a million!

kukibl
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:28:34 am »

Gslapt/slapt-get only knows about installation of packages - tgz/tlz packages you install by hand (installpkg command) or using gslapt/slapt-get. All installations you make manually - installers (like SeaMonkey) or compiling from source are not "familiar" to gslapt/slapt-get.

There are other ways to remove manual installations and instructions for that are usually located in software's README/Install files. There are nice howto's about installing from source (removing also), I recommend you to read them. Wink
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:33:05 am by kukibl » Logged
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 08:43:05 am »

That was my next question! Thanks for t he pointer, will see the HowTos!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: