VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 05:31:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monotor resolution problem.  (Read 7349 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 11:54:46 am »

Download it, open a terminal in the location where you downloaded the file (right click and "open a terminal here"), log in as root and then installpkg xf86-bla-bla.tlz
You can remove it with gslapt or with removepkg xf86...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 06:36:35 pm »

Right clicked on the downloaded .tlz and proceeded with 'install' option, changed to 'openchrome' in the conf file! and restarted X Server. Now it starts only in CUI, and same behaviour even after system restart.

The x11 folder in etc is now gone. This is now turning very exciting to me!

FYI: How to restore back? I'm posting this from my windows machine.

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 08:40:20 pm »

Shall I manually install this, or there a way to install it through the GSlapt package manager? because I've already installed seamonkey manually  which the gslapt package manager does not know about. Can the GSlapt package manager uninstall manual installations? I'm a newbie and am asking this to ensure that I can restore back to original if at all this driver fails.

sivatheja,

After you download the package from the link in Uelsk8s' post, open a terminal and become root via the su command. Then type the following:
Code:
installpkg xf86-video-openchrome-0.2.901-i586-1vl59.tlz

The VL package database will have a record of this package, as it was installed using the installpkg command. BTW, gslapt and slapt-get both use installpkg to do the installation of packages.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 08:37:32 am »

GUI is not starting, and I learnt that startx would start the GUI. But when I do that in command prompt, the screen blinks and again comes the CUI with a huge info scrolled and finally says that 'openchrome' driver not found and to consult /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I've 'cat' in root in CUI mode, and cant type in everything as I'm posting this from my windows machine Smiley I've forgot my pendrive in office, else wouldd have tried to save that from the CUI and pasted it here Smiley

'installpkg' in commandline has given me two messages (I got the same messages when 'installed' from the GUI in a dialog box, I don't remember those two lines). A system restart again leaves Linux in CUI. Shall I re install Vector?

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 08:43:13 am »

Reinstall is not necessary. The driver package didn't install correctly. Try again using John instructions, and be sure you type the exact driver name at xorg.conf. If this don't work, put back "vesa" in the driver line of xorg.conf and hopefuly the gui will be back and we can keep trying to solve this.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 09:45:32 am »

driver and package are both working here.

after installing the driver running vxconf will regenerate an xorg.conf
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 05:41:35 pm »

Hi,

These are the steps I followed
  • In CUI mode as root (I did not have GUI na!) I've edited the xorg.conf and wrote "via" instead of "openchrome" and I got back my GUI
  • Tried to install openchrome again, but the dialog box says that it is already installed
  • Removed openchrome using the GSlapt Package manager and re installed it. The dialog box says that open chrome and via have successfully installed
  • Installed openchrome again and put "openchrome" in conf file and ended up in CUI.
  • The error message when I "startx" is "failed to load module speedo" "failed to load module openchrome" as both of them not found
  • I run vxconf to get a new conf file and this has "via" driver in it.
  • I got by GUI back.

What is speedo module? Does my installation not have it? How to know?
FYI: I did not create swap file during the install (and still Vector is Rocket fast!!) does this pose any probs to the video driver installation?

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 06:10:42 pm »

I am sorry, I feel stupid. after reading that it couldnt find openchrome I went back and read your initial post where you said you were running 5.8.
this driver is for 5.9 sorry.
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 06:25:25 pm »

Hey all this is very exciting, this is how I also learn.
Felt happy for all the responses. Cheesy

Sivatheja.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 08:53:29 am »

You could try to compile it, the source code can be found here: http://www.openchrome.org/

--
Jumalauta!!
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 09:29:20 am »

Thanks for the pointer. By the way VL is very user friendly.

Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 08:50:26 am »

Now I've just changed to 1280x960 resolution, (I think) the max supported by VL on this monitor.

I expected all 1280 options to be at the same place, but this is somewhere below in the 'display settings' of the settings manager. One would expect the things to be sorted and displayed (or did I mess up with the xorg.conf?).

Now things don't seem elongated (but this is less than the best fit written in my monitor manual i.e. 1440x900)

Actually, common sense says that the second parameter in resolution should not exceed 900. All these days I was using 1280x1024. 1024 > 900 (the best fit) so obviously the screen would be elongated horizontally (correct me if wrong). 

I feel stupid Smiley all these days I was living with the issue Cheesy and just now I've fixed it.

Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 10:53:00 am »

I am much excited as I was when I wrote my first program Smiley

Great  discovery of my life Cheesy

Simple mathematics:
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x960
1152x864
832x624

All are of the form AxB format. A divided by B is 1.33333333 in all the cases. These are the standard resolutions for the square monitors, but mine is a wide screen monitor; and I believe the vendor is not  that  stupid to give 1440x900 as the best fit.

1440 divided by 900 is 1.6 May be 1.6 'type' resolution is correct fit for this wide screen. I'll try some '1.6' kind of resolutions and post back my findings,  and the 1280x1024  that I was using all these days is '1.25' kind (This was elongated horizontally).

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: