Ooooooooooh, shame on me. As it turns out the problems were the result of not paying attention to the details. When unpacking the tar.gz with Xarchiver I got some warnings. Of course I ignored these.
I started paying attention to these warnings when I could not build other applications that formerly gave no problems at all (lua, lincity, signify, ...).
So, I went back to the command line "tar -xzvf ......" for unpacking and presto all of my ./configure, make, make install problems where gone.
I have not tested the module yet as this was a late night discovery. But at least I could build it (and all of the others too).