VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 07:44:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless auto configuration problem  (Read 1495 times)
dispose256

« on: January 29, 2008, 08:44:55 pm »

Hello Ladies and gentlemen,

I have a Zydas wireless card which I can get to work every time using VLWifi... it detects the USB dongle,
and asks the right question for set up ESSID... WEP... key etc. Works fine.
The problem is that even though I specify startup at boot and use DHCP it NEVER starts at boot and I always have to enter the config info in VLWifi every time I boot... sigh.

Any idea why the system does not remember the VLWifi set up.

Tx for any help. By the way, the FAQ/How to on wireless is well written.

Tx.

Dispose256
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:29:18 pm »

Dispose256,

I would recommend adding the commands that you need to start your wireless networking to the end of the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script. This suggestion is also discussed in the Wireless Networking how-to.

You need to be root to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but it worked for me when I had a wireless card on my other box with VL.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
silentstone

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 11:02:41 am »

I was having similar trouble, and noticed that information I set in vwireless wizards was being reset. In particular, the information about which interface was the wifi (I'd set it to ath0, but wlan0 kept reappearing in the wizard).  I opened up the file that's supposed to keep track of that information, /etc/wireless/interface.conf, and found that it only contained a single line:
Code:
ath0

I opened up its backup file, /etc/wireless/interface.conf~, and saw a lot more formatting:

Code:
root:# cat /etc/wireless/interface.conf
# Wireless Interface Parameters

INTERFACE="ath0"
WirelessDir="/etc/wireless"
DRIVER="wext"
Well, that's my current working version, but you get the gist of the format required.  So, made sure that was in /etc/wireless/interface.conf, and never saw the wrong interface in vwireless again.

HTH
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: