VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 08:49:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: v5.9 hangs at firewall set-up  (Read 2013 times)
metvas
Vectorite

« on: January 30, 2008, 06:58:55 pm »

Hello All
I have M$ XP/Soho v5.9/v5.9 std on the laptop LILO. everything was working perfectly. today v5.9 hangs on firewall set-up? anyone else experience this? When I kill the boot it backs out perfectly but booting back in same problem. No problems with Soho or XP.
Thxs
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
jimwill

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:33:41 pm »

I have the same or a similar problem.
It started after I tried to make some changes to the firewall via vasm. Mine will back out until it tries to stop the firewall, then it keeps repeating that it is stopping the firewall.

Did you ever resolve this problem, or do I need to re-install??

Is it possible to re-install and keep any data that may be there, or is it possible to just run vasm from the cd and correct the firewall problem?
jimwill

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 10:13:38 am »

Ok, maybe someone can answer this. Would booting off a cd with something like knoppix and mounting my vl drive as read/write then copying the rc.firewallbackup over to rc.firewall possibly work? What permissions would need to be set on the rc.firewall? Also what about the rc.d/init directory? Does it also have an rc.firewall, and should I replace it also? I can't even get booted to the command line so I can't check any of these things out!
It will be next week sometime before I can try anything, so if I haven't seen any reply, well, I can't mess it up any more than it is now!
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:27:50 pm »

Same thing here. After trying to build a new firewall from scratch, "service firewall start" and "service firewall stop" go on and on, cpu goes to 100%, and the number of processes is crazy. Rebooting makes VL hang.

Loaded a live cd, mounted the root partition, removed /etc/rc.d./rc.firewall, and now it boots again.

There are many problems with the firewall in vl.... it seems that creating a new firewall does not "stick" (i.e., iptables -L doesn't show much), things are split in vasm and vleasytables, and now the creation of rc.firewall makes starting it impossible.

That's my most desired feature in the next version: having all the simple and more complex options working properly in vleasytables, being able to open any port, and having the vasm firewall link only launching vleasytables instead of presenting the user with different options.
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 05:34:08 pm »

I continue to experience this issue with 5.9 as does sledgehammer (who just called me last night with his computer locked up after trying to use VASM to configure and start the firewall).....

The script that bigpaws posted seems to work but the firewall gui in 5.9 should not be used or your system will hang up - you will then have to load a live cd and delete the /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall script to get your system to boot.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 09:52:08 pm »

.....At a friend's suggestion, and with no rc.firewall at all on my machine, I downloaded guarddog and set that up. It says it creates a new rc.firewall.  Anyway, it seems to work fine, though, sadly, I now have to remember to enable guarddog whenever I reboot. 

This is exactly what I have done to get a functioning firewall in 5.9 Standard......

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 10:16:47 pm »

Check that /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall is executable if not
then do that. If it is then you could use /etc/rc.d/rc.local
and start it from there.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]