VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 03:20:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this My Linux?  (Read 2000 times)
Sweet William

« on: February 01, 2008, 04:54:57 am »

Hi, my name is Bill, I'm Australian and, while I am new to Linux, I've working with and programmed computers for over 20 years. That makes me an "old hacker" which means I have nothing in common with "script kiddies".

I made the decision to move from Windows to Linux some time ago but have been frustrated by a lack of access to distributions (dial-up internet), and the sloppy programming and documentation in the distributions I was able to access. All have had good points but far too may annoying, bad, and down right stupid points to last more than a couple of hours.

So I've arrived at Vector Linux after some well known distros. The general presentation and style of this distro and the support forum is definitely a cut above the rest. I've downloaded "vl-5.8-std-gold.iso" and installed it (twice, or was that 3 times) so my present task is to get it ready to do some real work and replace my aging windows installations (98SE and 2000 Pro).

I've some questions already but will present those in the appropriate forums, I hope.

Windy old ...., aren't I. See you all in a little while,

--

Sweet William

using VL-5.8-STD-GOLD

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:27:40 am »

Hello, Bill, and welcome.

I'm no hacker, but I am old  Wink  I have tried a lot of different distros and all have their own issues. Documentation does seem to be a weak spot in such a fast moving area. Fortunately, the community fills that void for me.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:42:01 am »

Hi Bill,
Welcome to VL!

Vl 5.8-std is not the lastest vl-std, so if you ever feel like doing a third (or is that a fourth) installation, you may want to install vl 5.9.  It's not that 5.8 isn't working, but 5.9 is more up to date, and from now on, most new packages, will come out for 5.9.

Sweet William

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 05:48:58 am »

Hello, Bill, and welcome.

I'm no hacker, but I am old  Wink  I have tried a lot of different distros and all have their own issues. Documentation does seem to be a weak spot in such a fast moving area. Fortunately, the community fills that void for me.

That is good to hear.

--

Sweet William

using VL-5.8-STD-GOLD

Sweet William

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:51:02 am »

Hi Bill,
Welcome to VL!

Vl 5.8-std is not the lastest vl-std, so if you ever feel like doing a third (or is that a fourth) installation, you may want to install vl 5.9.  It's not that 5.8 isn't working, but 5.9 is more up to date, and from now on, most new packages, will come out for 5.9.

Ypu just want me to blow my download allocation again.  Wink

See ya Kidd,
--

Sweet William

using VL-5.8-STD-GOLD

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 06:37:09 am »

Stay tuned, Bill, we're working on a VL Light version that will ease the burden of dailup download by cutting the ISO size in half, that is, the whole OS will be available as a single 350 MB download.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 06:56:17 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:29:22 pm »

Ah, another Australian.  Good, good, needs more of us around here.  I'll say I've been working with computers for the last 20 years too, but that's only because I've had access to one since I was 3 years old Smiley

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Sweet William

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 01:31:23 am »

Stay tuned, Bill, we're working on a VL Light version that will ease the burden of dailup download by cutting the ISO size in half, that is, the whole OS will be available as a single 350 MB download.

At 20MB/hr on a good day, I'll let you work it out. Not really practical especially when most ISPs force a 20min disconnect in 4hrs. That means about 55MB absolute max.

I've recently gained access to broadband so I worry less but I still have a 2GB limit before I get choked to < 10KB/sec.

Nice thought though,
--

Sweet William

using VL-5.8-STD-GOLD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: