VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 02:05:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the case of the missing task bar  (Read 1434 times)
Sweet William

« on: February 01, 2008, 05:02:39 am »

Yes, it has gone. I tried the auto hide and thought it better visible so I turned it off again. When I came back to the computer (coffee break) it was gone, for good, never to return. What file do I hack to get the (expletive) thing back?

TIA

--

Sweet William

using VL-5.8-STD-GOLD

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:31:18 am »

If you're talking about the panel in XFCE, try typing "xfce4-panel" in a terminal.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:11:12 pm »

...it was gone, for good, never to return.
Been there done that!

When you get it back before you log off check the "save session for future logins" checkbox. When you log back in everything will be the same as when you logged out. This time when you logout make sure that the "save session for future logins" is unchecked. That way when you lose something ( and you will ) the next time you log in you will revert to that previous working set of session settings.

Another tip. You can kill applications with ctrl-alt-esc then placing the skull and crossbones that appear on the application you want to kill. BEWARE you can kill the task bar, desktop and any thing else you accidentally click on.

Sweet William

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 03:19:06 pm »

If you're talking about the panel in XFCE, try typing "xfce4-panel" in a terminal.

I did it and it worked until I closed the terminal.

Then tried executing from the run dialogue and then it stayed put.

Thanks Tomh38
--
Sweet William

using VL-5.8-STD-GOLD
Sweet William

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 03:23:43 pm »

I just knew this was the right distro to go with.  Smiley

Thanks
--
Sweet William

using VL-5.8-STD-GOLD
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:51:25 pm »

Sweet William,

Glad it worked.  I should have remembered that whenever you start any process from a terminal, that process stops when you close the terminal.  Sorry about that.  Make sure you do what InTheWoods wrote about unchecking that box for saving sessions the next time you log out.  I think it's unchecked by default in 5.9.

Anyway, I'm glad you like VL.  I love this distro, it's perfect for me.  I'm just another user, but a lot of people (users, developers, packagers ...) have helped me in these forums.  It's one of the things that makes Vector so fantastic.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: