VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 04:06:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else here use FVWM?  (Read 4990 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« on: November 19, 2009, 01:41:27 pm »

Every so often, when I forget how complicated it is to set up and get working the way I want, I install the fvwm window manager and start tweaking it. I'm still convinced that at least potentially it's my ideal wm, because of its lightness and extreme configurability.

Unfortunately the fvwm forum seems to have disappeared;

http://fvwm.lair.be/

Any other fvwm users here who are willing to share their config files with me and others here who might be interested?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic .
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:22:31 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:24:16 pm »

I have used it for quite a long time and had great fun configering it,
like 4x4 virtual screens each with a different colour. Now I am hooked
on fluxbox.

I will check if I still have my config files.

Have a look at this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/fvwm@lists.math.uh.edu/index.html#16432

Regards

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 03:22:16 am »

Thanks for replying Pita. I like Fluxbox as well and use it in my other Linux distro (5.9 SOHO; I'm posting from 6.0 Standard at the moment). What I like about FVWM though is the sheer range of options for resizing and manipulating windows; there are eight different forms of maximization, for example, and windows can be iconised either to a taskbar, to an icon manager or to an icon on the desktop. Lots of choice which I don't see on any other WM.

I'd be interested in seeing your config files if you still have them. For now I've installed the "themes" and "themes-extra" packages from the FVWM themes page and am using Alex Wallis's AWOL theme which has a comprehensive range of functions, almost like an early version of XFCE. It's quite old school in appearance but I'm OK with that.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:27:50 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:44:20 pm »

To my consternation I can't find nowhere any more my ~/.fvwm directory.
Must have somehow deleted it which is a shame after all the work and time
I spent on it. There is a chance it is still in an old computer. If get the time I will
check it out.

So sorry.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 12:54:43 am »

If you want a highly configurable wm with fairly smart defaults, you can try some tiling wm like wmii, awesome wm, or ion3.

I use ratpoison and stumpwm, that are probably the most minimalist ones (not recommended as a first contact with tiling wm).

Those wm are so configurable that you can write programs in your .*rc files, so if you don't feel like coding a bit, they won't fit you.

Have you tried any of those 'strange' wms?

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:10:00 am »

I've started a series of posts (let's hope the series doesn't end at number 1) about
some alternative and light windowmanagers I've tried during the last years.

Starting with what I'm using now (probably not recommended to wide public): Ratpoison
http://puntoblogspot.blogspot.com/2009/11/lightweight-window-managers-part-1.html

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 07:22:35 am »

Thanks, I'd be interested in that. I might give ratpoison a go sometime, I installed evilwm a while back. The only problem with keyboard-operated window managers like evilwm, ion, ratpoison etc. is that you've got to learn a lot of commands in order to do anything - you can't just click on an icon or a menu as you can with a mouse-operated one.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 07:27:57 am »

To my consternation I can't find nowhere any more my ~/.fvwm directory.
Must have somehow deleted it which is a shame after all the work and time
I spent on it. There is a chance it is still in an old computer. If get the time I will
check it out.

So sorry.

Don't worry. If it's any consolation, I've twice accidentally deleted either every file on my hard drive or whole partitions with files and installations on them. You pay to learn.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 03:32:01 pm »

The great thing of evilwm is that there are only a handful of shortcuts.

My recommendation when you start using a heavy keyboard app is print a quickref and have it near your keyboard.  in less time than you think, you'll need it less and less... and maybe in two weeks, you'll be able to throw it.  At least for evilwm.

A good point you made is about icons and 'visual feedback'.
2points on that:

• If you have to share your user in a given machine, you definately cannot install evilwm as a default wm.
  • A launcher is highly recommended, due to the lack of icons.  If you use only a few programs, you can try a program to add keybindings. (but yeah, this means extending your quickreference card)

Stay tunned for more posts.  I'll spam here with the new posts announces, if noone objects. A little rename of the thread title would be nice too (for future reference)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:41:26 pm by kidd » Logged

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 04:17:35 am »

I've just done a search, and as I thought I've not only used but posted about ratpoison before;

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=5485.0

I thought I had, should have mentioned it earlier. Sorry.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 05:50:37 am »

No problem Smiley

Let's hijack that other thread, as it has a more sensible title.

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 02:53:00 am »

Fair enough. I'm trying bbkeys out at the moment in conjunction with FVWM and other mouse-operated WMs and it's probably all I need (at least once I've worked out how to configure it).
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 11:40:56 am »

A quick update; the odd thing is that bbkeys seems to work better with fvwm than it does with blackbox (or any other window manager I've tried so far).
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 12:29:14 pm »

you can try xbindkeys or keylaunch.  I've successfully used both on several wm's.

Btw, I thought all *box wm had it's own shortcut app.

links:

http://www.nongnu.org/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html

http://www.oroborus.org/?node=Download

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 05:53:44 am »

Thanks for these two links. I've downloaded both of the keybinding apps here.

I've since found though that bbkeys works with fluxbox and openbox, two good window managers, so I'll persevere with it for the time being.

There's a certain inertia involved in moving over to a new keybinding app because of the time it takes to set it up (I've probably invested half an hour already on bbkeys). The great thing is that you can then use the configuration file in future installations of Vector or even other Linux distros (whisper).

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:27:43 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: