VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 02:23:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: board games  (Read 2257 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: February 02, 2008, 10:21:57 am »

I'm looking for a backgammon game..does anyone play backgammon.

.seems the only find was gnuchess via gslapt..the included games except pysol do not work on my machine but I like backgammon, poker, and crib anyway..not sure what the choices are and where to find them..did some googles

can I use this on vector5.9

http://backgammon.sourceforge.net/

bacKgammon requires KDE 1.1.x and the Qt libraries 1.4x. it has not yet been tested with KDE 2.x and will likely not compile.

Everything Is Relative
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 11:03:40 am »

There's also kbackgammon, which is (I'm pretty sure) part of kdegames in KDE 3.5.x.  I don't know whether you have the basic KDE packgages installed (kdebase, arts, kdelibs ... you almost certainly have qt), but if you do, you might want to try the kdegames package from http://packages.slackware.it.  If you don't have the basic KDE packages installed, you can probably get the Slackware 12 versions from the same place.  I not completely sure, but you shouldn't need anything else besides arts, kdebase, and kdelibs.

I don't think there's a KDE 3.5.x in the repos for VL 5.9.

If you are running VL 5.9 Deluxe (http://www.vectorlinux.com/mod.php?mod=userpage&menu=8&page_id=1) or decide to buy it (US $26.00 or something like that for the download version), KDE 3.5.8 comes on the second disk along with a lot of other really cool stuff (I bought it, I love it, it is worth the small sum).

KBackgammon on my machine

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:17:08 am by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 02:14:09 pm »

Well I think that link I found is old as I cannot download from there..

.the screenshot was the same as yours. looks fine..I was playing xgammon on debian

I did not gslapt any kde as I am running fluxbox...can I add these without messing up my system?

I do not want to switch to kde desktop to play back gammon..I'm a little green as you may gather

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 02:54:29 pm »

well that did not make sence did it...I am useing flux box but that is just the window manager...but VL uses the xfce desktop rather than kde or gnome and I do not know how much mixing one can do...so if I add kde base, arts,and libs plus games does that effect the xfce base and libs that run the programs on the system?

Everything Is Relative
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:04:05 pm »

Yeah, overthere, you should be able to add the packages without causing any problems to your system (as long as you have space in your Linux partition).  I never use KDE but I have it installed so I can use the applications in XFCE (I only use a few, but the few I use are important for me).  Furthermore, you don't have to have everything KDE installed.  So, unless I'm mistaken, you already have QT.  The other things you'll need will be kdebase, kdelibs, arts, and kdegames.  You can get these all from http://packages.slackware.it.  On that site you'll see a box with the title Search for packages or file names.  Change the first field from slackware-current to Slackware 12.  Then do your searches for kdebase, kdelibs, arts, and kdegames.  Download each file to somewhere in your home directory.  Open a terminal emulator (Terminal, xterm, whatever), and type "su" at the prompt, then when prompted type your root password.  Change to the directory where you downloaded the packages.  Then type "installpkg" followed by the full file names of kdebase, kdelibs, arts, and kdegames.  They should then install.  I don't think the games will appear in your Fluxbox menu, but you can just start kbackagammon by typing "kbackgammon" in a terminal.

One caveat:  I'm no expert at these things but in the past I've installed just the base KDE packages in order to get one app, and it works.  Nevertheless, I can't guarantee anything so proceed at your own risk.

I know this seems like a lot for just one game, but if you like backgammon, ... it might just be worth it.

Addendum:  No, adding kdebase, arts, libs and games should not affect the xfce base.  At this level this stuff is pretty modular and fairly well segregated from other things.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 03:23:01 pm »

Thanks...ya..seems like a lot of files for a simple game...should be like 200k but is 70 meg..what is the arts for.. the dice roll sound? can it be used somehow with ardour to add delay, etc..Hmm whats the core snd system for xfce.

arts-1.5.7-i486-1 in slackware/l
arts  (Analog Realtime Synthesizer)

arts  is the core sound system for KDE, and is short for "analog
realtime synthesizer".  arts  is designed to create or process sound
using small specialized modules.  These may create a waveform, play
samples, filter data, add signals, perform effects (like delay,
flanger or chorus), or output the data to the soundcard.

well not the first time I reinstalled vector...will just see what happens.

Everything Is Relative
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

Good luck, overthere.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 08:12:18 pm »

I realized that I have several games on a thumb that are freeware self contained.exe for windows...so downloaded wine instead for now(8+megs) and added the backgammon(275k), pinball (better than the xp one), poker and crib, etc...

The backgammon and pinball work fine.

However others have a font issue..the file, edit, help etc are readable, but in poker for example the player names and bets are what appear to be wingdings...so I canot see the bet...kinda like playing poker over in...well nevermind that..
can I add fonts to wine that may be required? these are self contained single executable files so no way to know what they are looking for but likely the standard windows fonts in the usual fonts folder..but cannot find it and not sure where to get the fonts..cannot copy from win/font folder.there are no options for changeing font in the programs
any thoughts appreciated
thanks

Everything Is Relative
wph

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 04:16:18 am »

Small rockets  (www.smallrockets.com)  have a linux version of backgammon. The freebie version only has one board style and plays only in rookie mode.  I have it running on vl 5.8 quite happily except it keeps beating me Sad  (must be a bug)

It will download as a .tgz file - to install it there is a bit of messing around but once there it goes OK (if you installpkg it you will need to set the root installation folder otherwsie it will unpack into a backgammon folder on the '/' drive - but I have found out that you can easily copy this folder into a more suitable location. There was also something to do with the openal  but i think all it needed was a file to be installed properly.

They also have a nice version of Mahjongg and a few other things there, if yo're willing to put up with a bit of mucking around, which only takes a few more minutes
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 01:59:25 pm »

Hi..Thanks for the link to smallrockets...and the tips...I see they also have a poker game for linux...and the specs are low so may work on other low end installs aswell.

did you mean openGL not openAL? I seen an opengl pack in gslapt I think..so I may need that?

anyway thanks....the freeware gammon, maj jongg and pinball I have work fine under wine but the poker & crib games have a font issue. along with others..I have a wine thread in hope of solveing this. but if no solution, will try the small rockets...would be better to not use wine anyway I suppose.
Cheers

adding...the font issue was quickly solved by adding a fontpkg..see the wine fonts thread...sorry for double threading that...

and will try the kde and small rockets as time permit...THANKS
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 04:59:20 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
wph

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 02:00:12 am »

I'm pretty sure it was openal  (could be wrong -0 that's happened before) - something to do with the sound I think. All the files you need are inthe installtion, you just have to run the script manually and might have to adjust some locations - there was something funny as to where it installed it - but it does work fine, and might need a bit of jiggery pokery (technical terms)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 02:26:33 am »

Well..speaking of jiggery pokery, I read in another thread "package requests" that there is a gnu backgammon that can be downloaded, compiled and installed. it has 2d and with some jiggery as you say can be 3d..I think I need to install to another machine so I can play, as I am likeing this install and do not want to mess it up unless it's something I do not have and more desperately want. like a dvd ripper. not to discredit small rockets it looks nice and I will try it as I mentioned along with kbackgammon which requires so pokery with kde..

speaking of games..if you like pinball and you have wine installed check out this freeware pinball..no jiggery pokery required..well for me anyway

http://www.pcgaming.ws/viewgame.php?game=roll_em_up_pinball

cheers
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:33:39 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
wph

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 04:04:35 am »

cool - I'll check out gnubackgammon. my little laptop running 5.8 won't support wine (I wouldn't think). But thanks
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 11:11:32 am »

edit:
Well gnu backgammon is linked in "requests" and looks really cool but you need some ram and speed to get 3d..which I currently do not.. but 2d full screen is working nicely.

Small rockets backgammon, mahjongg and poker although demos
are as you say wph nice little playable games.I am going to try on the p166 later

I needed only to tar -xvf the files and then
open the created folder and run the exe.

I found that the poker game requires me to first
click play over the net and click back
then click play against the computer.
If I just click play against the computer
the game disappears instantly.

will test kbackgammon when I find addition use for the kde files required.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:22:56 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: