I had a similar issue on my install of VL 5.9Std Gold.
* Ubuntu installed no problem, same CD media brand.
* Redownloaded VL5.9 iso, checked md5
* Burned to new CD, checked burn when done.
* Hardware: HP Pavillion a1000y, 512MB RAM, install to 6G part., 300MB swap
* Tried several times, selecting less options each time.
* My 1st guess is either the swap or the / partition is too small, but this is a dual boot with XP and others will very upset if I mess up XP so I'm not resizing.
* 2nd guess: VL5.9 and CD/DVD drive hardware issue.
* VL 5.9 installed fine on my Dell GX150, 1GHz, 256MB RAM, / 7.5G /home 9G, swap 2.5G