VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 09:36:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Install media has not been mounted. Abording.  (Read 2303 times)
lucky_pro_fr

« on: February 22, 2008, 05:03:12 am »

Hi,
I am using an old Libretto 50CT, 4Go disk, 32Mo memory (without floppy disk, without CDROM), just Windows98se on an ide drive.

I have a c drive on a dos partition. I have VL59.ISO on the c: drive , top level directory. I also have a subdirectory c:\loadlin  with loadlin.exe, initrd.img and IDE kernel file. I downloaded the std vl 59 gold iso from the vector site.

I did loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img.
It start without problem.

I can choose the keyboard i want, create 2 partitions (swap & linux partition).
Then i launch the "start installation".

I have a message "Linux install media found" and just after pressing a key, a new message "Install media has not been mounted. Abording.".

Does someone know why?

when i type mount,
i see that the dos partition is mounted and also the .iso.

I tried to reboot but same result.

I'm lost. Help. Please.
Thanks.
lucky_pro_fr

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 02:52:35 am »

Nobody has an idea?
I am desesperate... I downloaed a second time the ISO file, same result. The problem was not here.
lucky_pro_fr

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:29:26 am »

On /dev/hda1 i have fAT32 Windows partition with the VectorLinux Iso file.
On /dev/hda2 Linux partition
On /dev/hda3 Linux Swap partition.

Should i modify this ?
Has someone already run installation fine with Loadlin?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 05:58:59 am »

I have done a direct ISO install but on a linux host... never done it from a windows host, but here is the documentation...
See if this helps you
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#iso_win

InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:16:08 pm »

I have done a direct ISO install but on a linux host... never done it from a windows host
I have not successfully completed a direct install so you might want to ingnore everything that follows.

I did loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img.
It start without problem.
You loaded linux into RAM then
I have a message "Linux install media found" and just after pressing a key, a new message "Install media has not been mounted. Abording."
The installer which is running in RAM cannot mount the fat32 partition.

Further you can't install to the partition that the install media is being read from.

So here is a thought
1. Load one of the micro distros like DSL or Puppy linux. DSL is smaller Puppy is more intuitive. I think both of these can utilize your present Linux swap partiton. So your 32meg of ram should not be a problem. Depending on the size of your swap partition.
2. Save your chosen distro's .iso on hda1 and load it with loadlin. Use that to try your direct install.
   I bet you could also do this with a floppy image from one of the really old Vec   versions
        sorry I can't seem to find a link to these
3. You probably will still have to have the Vec5.9.iso on a linux partition that you are not installing to for the installer to read from the .iso. Both of these distros can create the require extra partion.
4. You can clean up delete or merge any extra partions with parted or qparted later.

I am using an old Libretto 50CT, 4Go disk, 32Mo memory (without floppy disk, without CDROM), just Windows98se on an ide drive.
This is a good candidate for the (unfortunately for you) unfinished ,VLlight

HTH

<EDIT> check this out. About half way down the second page a solution emerges.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:35:27 pm by InTheWoods » Logged
lucky_pro_fr

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:45:07 am »

Thanks for the differents answers.

Juste to complete my posts,
when i had the message ""Install media has not been mounted. Abording", i didn't have any problem to mount my fat32 partition. it was automatic, and i could see the the different files/directory inside without problems. And the ISO was on that fat32 partition.So i don't think it was the problem. The partition to install was not the same that is read.

1 hour later, i tried a new test :
I moved my iso from my fat32 to a new linux partition (just as big to keep the iso) and deleted my fat32 partition. I recreate 2 partitions (linux & swap) for installatation. Same result (maybe because i didn't made a reboot..)

a new test after :
I withdraw the hard disk from my libretto and put it on a usb hard disk. I connect it to a desktop computer, launch VMWARE Workstation, create a new virtual machine, from vmware select the usb disk as my disk to operate and boot from the iso VectorLinux (without burning it). The installation launch. After i put back my ide disk on my libretto and it launch. But there are some prolems... i suppose, the disk are recognise as a sda and not a hda... i don't know at this time if it was the best solution...

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 06:11:59 am »

I just found out this week that the 5.9 kernel has a problem with toshiba laptops.
It is unable to see the HD in them.
try using a kernel from 5.8 and you should be able to get it installed.
lucky_pro_fr

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 02:58:45 am »

Ok, i am going to test this today.
I will give you the results...
lucky_pro_fr

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:35:45 pm »

Ohhh! i have just find what was my problem !
Despite this libretto is more than 15years old, it needs an sata kernel...
As i thought it was very old, i always tried with an ide kernel...

I did loadlin sata root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img and now, everything is ok.
Thanks for all persons that contribute to help me.
This forum is very active, very nice.
Luc Sommaire.
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 02:40:41 pm »

I just found out this week that the 5.9 kernel has a problem with toshiba laptops
I am on a Toshiba Tecra M2 circa 2004 and had no issues with the hard drive.
Is this limited to even older machines?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 04:44:37 pm »

I am not sure what machines this is limited to, I just know I have had 3 reported toshiba laptops that the 5.9 kernel doesnt work with.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 09:20:43 pm »

I just found out this week that the 5.9 kernel has a problem with toshiba laptops.

Please don't tell that to my Toshiba Satellite (the 2 GHz Mobile Celeron), which is very happily running VL 5.9 Standard in a dual boot with Windows XP. I guess the statement should be that SOME Toshiba laptops don't work with the 5.9 kernel.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:22:26 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 09:50:20 pm »

Sorry Smiley   Grin

I just found out this week that the 5.9 kernel has a problem with SOME OLDER toshiba laptops.

Uelsk8s
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: