VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 07:43:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wine fonts  (Read 2029 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: February 03, 2008, 02:22:40 pm »

Hi..I installed wine via gslapt
I did so to add a game of backgammon which seems to work fine..it is a self contained exe.

I attempted to install another program but the fonts on the install shield are wingdings and as such unreadable. I aborted

this is the case also with other small self contained exe.

some of the programs seem to run fine but the text during use is messed up. but the window text like, file, options, help, is normal.

question is: can fonts be changed so installer is understandable or program text are in english

adding:
I notice there is a wine configure gui in the xfce menu...and option for various versions...these are win95/98 programs so switched from 2000 to 95 but same...the programs are in a folder in my home directory..should they be in a wine directory? should I add them to the program list in the config dialog.
they seem to run fine except the wingding fonts. I am not sure how to add a photo to the post or I would show you what I mean
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:07:02 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:05:11 pm »

I'm going to give this a shot since I know you're wanting this resolved. 
Perhaps you need the windows fonts installed? http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34153&release_id=105355
Scroll down until you see a long list of familiar windows fonts.  I'd try arial first.  So download somewhere and install them by running
wine arial32.exe
Good Luck!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 04:50:36 pm »

Thanks SO much for the instant solution...I had found the fonts folder for wine and was attempting to extract the fonts from various win I have running on vintage equipment....this solved the issue in seconds...THANKS...a little diversion goes a long way sometimes in reducing frustration..and makes also good use of the thumb full of tiny freeware exe I had collected
Cheers
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:02:06 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:24:21 pm »

I'm really glad that worked for you as it was just a idea.  I don't have any Windoze apps handy, and since it appears some of them work fine and that one does not, I really couldn't test out my theory.

Now this brings up something else.  I need to investigate this further since I guess I'm the official Wine packager now.  When building the package I know there are impostor fonts that are built.  I used fontforge in hopes to build the best quality.  They can be built without, but apparently don't look so good.  I'd like to install that windoze application that was giving you the hard time, but to be quite honest, I'm not going to purchase it for the sake of development.

My first impulse was to ask you to PM me with a download location, or email me the app.....  but then I realized that would be wrong because even though my intentions are merely to make a better package for VL, that would mean I'd have to ask you to commit software piracey.  And since that is wrong.  I'm not going to ask you to do that.  So maybe I can get lucky and blindly fix Wine without asking you to do such a wrong thing.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:58:49 pm »

Hmm..not sure what you mean...all I run is freeware...the poker game "smoke'em poker" is still available at the link below, although I got it years ago for win95. when I ran it under wine I had a font issue..bets and names were wingdings but the arial font.exe solved that.

smoke'em poker

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=5039&iTestingId=3860

I also attempted to install Ultimate Cribbage but the fonts on the installer were wingdings so I aborted. I did attemp a reinstall. the installer was font fine but the game did not load. I got an internal error message. I'm not sure the program is still available..will google it.

if this is not what you mean post back.

adding ..did a google
ultimate cribbage...I installed after adding the font and the installer was fine but can not get the game to work...the current state of the project is here

http://ultimatecrib.sourceforge.net/

quickcrib is not as nice but works after the font is added

http://www.wesleysteiner.com/quickgames/cribbage.html

roll'em up pinball...works fine for me without the font

http://www.pcgaming.ws/viewgame.php?game=roll_em_up_pinball

geert's backgammon is now quick gammon...I did not try quick but old geert's works fine without the font

http://www.geocities.com/geertsbg/index2.htm
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:40:48 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 03:25:04 am »

overthere,

Thanks! The poker one is the one I recall giving you the font problems.  That's what I get for assuming...  Never occurred to me that it could be a free ware app.  I've gotten so used to open source that I guess I've gotten the mindset that if it runs on Windows, there's money involved and sharing the app with me would be a infringement of some sorts.

I'll shuddup.  Thanks for the links, it will be helpful.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:33:42 am »

Well you are not alone...usually it does involve money...but I do not have a lot of that so freeware is my gamble. I am going to test some more apps with wine as test..I installed vl to a 600mhz with 256ram to learn how to install things.

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 02:00:52 pm »

I've gotten so used to open source that I guess I've gotten the mindset that if it runs on Windows, there's money involved and sharing the app with me would be a infringement of some sorts.

PMJI, but my own brand of Linux evangelism compels me to do it.<g> I believe that when we're trying to make a point, it's essential that our arguments be unassailable because if someone who actively opposes our opinion spots the least little error, our credibility is compromised on everything else.

I frequently see the pro-Linux argument that it's free and people must lay out big bucks for Windows software. In fact, though, there is plenty of free-of-charge Windows software out there now, so I don't think that argument is very compelling. Examples: OpenOffice, Gimp, Picasa, Irfanview, Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera, Thunderbird, Paint.Net, Audacity, Scribus,, antivirus and antispyware programs, bunches of games and utilities. Most new Windows PCs come with a full version of Microsoft Works, not a trial version, and it supplies basic calendar, word processor, spreadsheet, and database programs that are all many users need. Then you have the stuff that comes with the OS, such as Media Player and CD burner utility, browser, e-mail, news, an RSS client, picture viewer and organizer. So I don't think the argument that Linux gives you free what you have to pay for in Windows is either persuasive or totally accurate.

Better to stress choice, stability, freedom from malware both by design and by obscurity, and the sheer fun of it, not to mention the great communities like the one we have here.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 05:41:32 pm »

Agreed, Granny. the "Free as in beer" thing is not the better argument in favor of Linux. I do believe using Linux can be more friendly with global resources in a wide point of view.
In the other hand, the number of Open Source apps that can run in Windows is incredible large, and looks like it is increasing each day.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 05:43:32 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 07:12:32 pm »

When the windows that you use is itself pirated, whatz the point in using the free apps! Thatz the reason I've jumped to Linux as it was wrong to use pirated software.

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: