VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 03:54:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: GNU Backgammon  (Read 6186 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: February 04, 2008, 06:34:42 am »

Would someone please build a package for GNU Backgammon:  http://www.gnubg.org?  Apparently if you know what you're doing it can be compiled with 3D support and overall looks way, way cooler than KBackgammon, or any other computer backgammon game I've ever seen.

I tried, but apparently I don't know what I'm doing.  Sad

Oh, here's a little screenshot:  http://www.gnubg.org/shots/gnubg_win.png
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:36:30 am by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
kukibl
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:53:32 am »

I've built package for this right now. It is working just fine, although I would like to test it more further. Grin

The problem is - where to upload it? Today I sent message to JohnB316, I am still waiting for reply. The package is 16 MB.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 10:08:49 am »

Thanks a lot Bender ... uh, I mean kukibl!

I think JohnB316 is pretty busy right now, so if you don't hear from him soon, try messaging exeterdad, I've seen him posting about new packages a lot lately.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
kukibl
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 10:21:05 am »

You welcome! Wink

I will build it one more time, on a "clean" system this time and test it. Grin I will PM exeterdad tomorrow if I don't get reply from JohnB316.

Thanks for advice!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:21:44 pm »

kukibl,

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help you to sign up as a packager  Undecided  I'm certain I can't get you into the packagers forum, though I'm a "moderator" of sorts over there, I don't have access to the magic wand to modify your account. I'm also unsure what my "repo" rights are.

I'm sure glad to see your eagerness and willingness to help though  Wink  The more people we have on board makes for a more complete repo.  And of course you may have ideas for apps to package that we haven't even thought of.

I must warn you that our packaging standards have tightened up considerably since the packaging "how to" was written.  Just recently we've cracked down even harder, and a new slackbuild template created.  A new "how to" is being written as time allows.  But if you are able to compile and install for yourself, you already gotten past the hardest part.

JohnB316 will get back to you as soon as he's able, he's a good guy.

BTW thomh38....  to get 3d support with gnubg, you need to have gtkglext installed.  Otherwise it will quietly build with 2d support no matter what options you pass to ./configure.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 01:57:23 pm »

exeterdad

Thanks for clearing things up.  I hope this heps kukibl, as he seems to me to have "the right stuff" for a packager (maybe someday I will). 

I only got interested in this because somebody else was interested in a backgammon game for Linux, and then I found GNU Backgammon and it looked so cool.

I don't even know how to play backgammon.

I suppose I deserve the hat.

Tom

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 02:04:40 pm »

I don't even know how to play backgammon.

Pssssst...... I don't either!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 02:07:57 pm »

Backgammon is a really nice game. I like it because has some complex things but is not so demanding as chess.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 02:29:32 pm »

I have always liked backgammon, easy to lean, but the element of chance and how a skilled player can make the chance work to their advantage makes it a fascinating game.    Certainly gnubackgammon looks good.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 02:35:54 pm »

Let's see ... we've got Argentina, Serbia, the UK (Wales represent!), the US ... World Tournament anyone?

Okay, exeterdad and I don't know how to play, so that would kind of make it like the World Cup.

kukibl
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 04:19:07 pm »

@exeterdad

No problem, I understand. Undecided Maybe one day in the future... at least I hope so. Thank you for reply and for clearing things out for me.

@tomh38

Thank you once again! Wink

P.S.
I don't know how to play it either. Grin
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 02:02:44 am »

Let's see ... we've got Argentina, Serbia, the UK (Wales represent!), the US ... World Tournament anyone?

Okay, exeterdad and I don't know how to play, so that would kind of make it like the World Cup.

Wonderful idea... the basics take about 15 mins to learn - tactics come later :-)

http://www.boardgamecentral.com/games/bg.html

As described its a racing game, the object being to get all your men off the board.  The oldest racing game I know of is Senet - the Egyptian Game of Life, which was so wide spread no one wrote down the rules.  New Scientist about 20 years ago published a version of it one christmas based on rules extrapolated from a poem extolling its virtues.  So embedded in  ancient Egyptian culture that it was used as a last ditch defense of your soul in the afterlife if you had proved wanting....   
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 04:50:18 am »

Great idea, If it will be by teams, I pick Lyn as team partner Grin

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 07:48:21 am »

I've decided I'm going to learn backgammon.  I think it would actually be fun to have a VL backgammon tournament (Backgammmon Unreal Tournament 2008!) ... seriously though, how would we do it?

I know we don't need GNU Backgammon.  It would be nice if somebody packaged it, but if not, not (I can see how it isn't a priority).

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 07:58:53 am »

So what's the status then.  Is it NOT packaged? Did kukibl give up?  Hope I didn't discourage him! I did a quick and dirty package for proof of concept.  It runs in 3d but crashes with ATI cards from a bug in gtkglext.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: